Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2002 8:48:25 PM EDT
What are the pros/cons of a battle rifle being 20 inches in length instead of 40 inches in length?  Assuming you didn’t have velocity differences between the two.

Please note that velocity is not of concern with this question, just the size of the weapon.
- Sulaco
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, if it is a "Battle Rifle" than the bullet must be over .270 diameter, otherwise it woulkd be an assult rifle.

The biggest disadvantage would be the very high recoil and uncontrolablilty.  Look at the M14.  It was basically a straight stock, on full auto it was very punishing and very uncontrolable.

Also, if you shorten the barrel than you will have a huge velocity differance, so it dopes matter.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#2]
With the shorter rifle, you gain manuverability, good for CQB.  On the flip side, you lose velocity and accuracy due to the shortened sight radius.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#3]
ok, so how could you fix the shortened sight radius?  just add optics?
- Sulaco
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What are the pros/cons of a battle rifle being 20 inches in length instead of 40 inches in length?  Assuming you didn’t have velocity differences between the two.
- Sulaco
View Quote

If that weapon is 40" TOTAL in length I'd call it a howitzer , the heck with calling it a battle rifle !
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ok, so how could you fix the shortened sight radius?  just add optics?
- Sulaco
View Quote

Optics would help, but would need to be something easily brought to the eye, quick target aquisition, wide field of view.  This would be good for short to low-mid range work, but would still opt for the longer rifle for the distance due to the velocity.  Now way to discount that factor.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Carbines are short and lighter with less velocity and more muzzle flash.  The velocity lost from long to short barrel is negligible IMO for a 0-300 yard rifle.

A disadvantage of a short bull pup type carbine, is that the chamber is right by the shooters face.

A short sight radius for short distances 0-300 yards isn't a problem.    
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 6:18:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, if it is a "Battle Rifle" than the bullet must be over .270 diameter, otherwise it woulkd be an assult rifle.
View Quote

I'd say the battle/assault rifle distinction has more to do with muzzle energy than caliber.  For instance, an AK-47 is an assault rifle while a Swedish Mauser (.264) is a battle rifle.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 6:55:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
- Sulaco
View Quote

If that weapon is 40" TOTAL in length I'd call it a howitzer , the heck with calling it a battle rifle !
View Quote

That came to mind the first time I read it too.  Then I realize OAL weapon length, not barrel length.  Most AR rifles (20 inchers) are around 40 inches, while the carbines are 36, or 32 if equipped with a telestock closed.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if the anti-gun bigots will ever initiate a "Battle rifle" ban?
That description sounds almost as intimidating as "assault rifle".....oooooohhhh, scary!

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#10]
imposter:
"I'd say the battle/assault rifle distinction has more to do with muzzle energy than caliber. For instance, an AK-47 is an assault rifle while a Swedish Mauser (.264) is a battle rifle."

Not to mention the M1/M2 Carbine (.30) or the Stg44 (8x33).  The M2 actually being the first US 'assault rifle'.  The Russians used an auto rifle in WW1 that was chambered in 6.5 Japanese (still a full power rifle cartridge) because it was easier to control than it would have been in 7.62x54R.  Would it be categorized as an 'assault' rifle or a 'battle' rifle?

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#11]
What you really need is a rifle with a telescoping barrel, which will give you the best of both worlds. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#12]
A bullpup .308 with fast optics?

A Steyr MAG?
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#13]
SteyrAUG:
"A bullpup .308 with fast optics?

A Steyr MAG?"

I seem to recall somebody selling a bullpup conversion for M1A/M14 rifles.  There were a few AK bullpups brought in before all the bans but 7.62x39 just doesn't cut it compared to 7.62x51.  A top mag bottom ejection action would solve almost all the complaints people have with bullpups.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top