Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2002 4:33:52 PM EDT
He washes him a lot but, it's hot down here in the south and after about 10 minutes in the heat, the dog gets serious body odor. The guy says he going to take him to the pound. I asked him to wait until I asked you guys for help.

Does anybody know a way to reduce a dogs body odor. The dog is a short-haired, mixed breed. It's a good dog but, it DOES stink. I would take the dog but, I already have one that doesn't stink.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think there's anything you can do about that. It's all in the glands.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#2]
He could have the Renal glands removed.  Take the dog to a vet.  That might be the problem, but maybe not.  My parents dogs had to have their renal glands removed because they stink!
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#3]
He could have the Renal glands removed.
View Quote

A cheaper alternative is to just scare the dog every once in a while.  Also, do it outside.  My neighbor uses this method rather than paying a vet to remove them.z
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#4]
My guess would be the anal glands.  They may be clogged.  Does the dog scoot around on its butt a lot?  That would be a sure sign.  My suggestion would be a trip to the vet to check that out.  If that is the problem, he can treat it.  While there, your friend should also ask the vet to show him the proper way to manually expel the fluid in the glands.  Some dogs need this done on a regular basis.  It's easy if you know how.  He could do it when he bathes the dog and then he won't be stinky anymore.  Be sure he gets instruction from the vet on how to do this.  If done improperly, he could injure the dog. Good luck to your friend and his loyal companion.  I wish them many years of friendship in the future.  [:)]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Does the dog live in or outside? Would stink a lot less if it mainly resided inside where the air conditioning is.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#6]
one of my labs stunk pretty badly, turned out he had an abcess (spelling?) on his neck. had the vet fix that, but also check out the anal gland thing, that makes a large impact as well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Clogged anal glands are a common source of the stinks. If the smell might be a digestion-related problem (ie. gas), then maybe it needs an enzyme additive to aid digestion after a meal.

You didn't mention the dog's age, so I'm assuming the problem isn't related. Older mutts can put out an odor, partially because their sytems are failing generally.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you think it is possible that there is a epidemic of clogged anal glands at fun shows?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#11]
My brother had a Cocker with this problem.  

The vet gave them some pills to handle the Chemical imbalance and the dog is fine.

The dog is expensive but fine.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Aside from the mentioned anal glands, what part of the dog stinks? If it's the coat and/or skin it could be a diet problem. If he's being fed the 100lbs for $5.00 crap dog food that would do it. Suggest a different/better dog food if this is the case...
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 12:09:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My guess would be the anal glands.  They may be clogged.  Does the dog scoot around on its butt a lot?  That would be a sure sign.  My suggestion would be a trip to the vet to check that out.  If that is the problem, he can treat it.  While there, your friend should also ask the vet to show him the proper way to manually expel the fluid in the glands.  Some dogs need this done on a regular basis.  It's easy if you know how.  He could do it when he bathes the dog and then he won't be stinky anymore.  Be sure he gets instruction from the vet on how to do this.  If done improperly, he could injure the dog. Good luck to your friend and his loyal companion.  I wish them many years of friendship in the future.  [:)]
View Quote

You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!

ANAL GLANDS???

I love my two dogs but, I think I would put a bullet in thier heads [pistol]before I squeezed their anal glands.[puke]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I (sadly enuf) know of a korean resturant that'll give you $25(AUS) for him. ( I don't eat there much - friend of a friend ya know)

Edited to say: my bad - exchange rate says about $11(US). That wouldn't even pay the freight.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a giant schnouser that would stink to high heaven if his anal gland wasn't squeezed regularly.

[b] I've watched the vet do it several times. It's a very simple and quick procedure that was very inexpensive to get done.[/b]

It was a very small price to pay for the 13 years of companionship he gave in return.

[red] seriously though take the dog to the vet its most likely something VERY minor and cheap that will fix the problem [/red]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He could have the Renal glands removed.
View Quote

A cheaper alternative is to just scare the dog every once in a while ... z

View Quote

... That just ain't right!
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#17]
When I had a problem with my dog, the best advice I got here on the Forum was "kick his ass and show him who's boss"...
Maybe that'll work! [;D]
(just kidding)
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A cheaper alternative is to just scare the dog every once in a while.  
View Quote

BOO!
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#19]
A product called 5.56 will make him a little stinkier for a while but then his odor won't bother anyone else again...[:D]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does the dog live in or outside? Would stink a lot less if it mainly resided inside where the air conditioning is.
View Quote

More info: The dog lives INDOORS. It goes in and out during the day(the guy is retired and home all day). After laying around(no major playing and NO rolling in yuck), the dog gets a nasty stinch that gets on your hands if you pet it. It's not oily feeling but it does cling like fish odor. The strange thing is that after the dog goes back in the house for a while, the odor gets less offensive.

The odor seems to come and go depending on how hot the dog gets. If the dog stays inside...No odor! Is it just plain old body odor that happens to be really bad? Does this sound like clogged anal glands? You guys/gals with experience withe anal glands. Did your dogs stink even if they didn't go out and get hot?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I know you said it was a short haired dog, but here's my advice:

Keep the dog's hair cut.

Bathe the dog once a week, or every two weeks.

Easiest and most thorough way to bathe a dog???  Take a shower with him!  If you don't want to buy doggie shampoo, use cheap baby shampoo (generic equivalent of Johnson & Johnson's).  This will help a LOT.

Never heard of the ass gland thing.  Learn something new every day!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top