Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2011 11:25:14 AM EDT
my son wants one bad and I don't want to break the bank so we are looking for a 2nd hand tube amp.

any suggestions/advice?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#1]
For a beginner acoustic amp I wouldn't bother going the tube route, you can get some smokin sounds from a solid state and you won't have to crank the amp to get it in a "sweet spot"

Right now the Fishman Mini-Loudbox is the #1 selling acoustic amp under $500 (priced new in the $2-300 range and slaying the competition)
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/kustom-sienna-30-acoustic-guitar-combo-amp/480788000001000
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Pig Nose
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to let us know what would break the bank.  Over $250?  $500?

You don't really have to get an acoustic guitar amp.  A full-range self-powered speaker cabinet will also work nicely, and you could also use it for vocals, backing tracks, etc.  You would only need to add a small mixer.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You don't really have to get an acoustic guitar amp.  A full-range self-powered speaker cabinet will also work nicely, and you could also use it for vocals, backing tracks, etc.  You would only need to add a small mixer.

the VOX he played on today was $400

I can get one online for $360 and the store said they would match online deals

I would like to get something used for under $150

My son is buying the Guitar and I am buying the AMP

I am going along with this to keep his interest up as his playing progresses and he has been working very hard on his playing and saving his own money.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I found a like new on on Craigslist locally I think I am going to look at

Epiphone Acoustic  15C
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Acoustic amps are much more full range than an electric is, in essence an acoustic guitar amp is sort of a small PA amp/full range speaker.

The point? You don't need one unless you're playing live (hell, even there it's optional. A lot of acoustic players go straight to the boards via a pre-amp and the acoustic amp acts as nothing more than a monitor for the player).

Any decent stereo will be vastly superior in sound if you have a decent pre-amp feeding it. That's how I do it for studio/recording and even gigging.

A good pre-amp will also have EQ, effects, etc...and they're cheap.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Why does he want an amp for acoustic?

When I was looking for amps for my Electric violin I read a lot good reviews about Kustom Sienna amps, bang for buck wise, and also the SWR Blondes(non Mexican made) but those are more $$$ I was seeing used SWR California Blondes for $400 on ebay. I ended up getting a Hartke KM100 keyboard amp. A keyboard amp is suppose to cover the the full range of frequencies better.

ETA:
When I put a pick-up on my acoustic violin I also had the joy of battling feedback, I would assume any hollow bodied acoustic instrument would have the same problem.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

why do they make amps for acoustics?

so they play louder, say in a room where he is going to solo perform

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is he going to be performing just guitar in front of anyone real soon? Hell, I've been playing acoustic in a live band for 20 years and I haven't used an amp to do anything for the acoustic for the last 15 of them. It's always DI, where the mix is better served by a PA and mixed against vocals.

Again, he might be better served with a good pre-amp/stomp box setup into a good stereo...and use a PA when he gets to the performance stage.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

the VOX he played on today was $400
I can get one online for $360 and the store said they would match online deals

I would like to get something used for under $150

My son is buying the Guitar and I am buying the AMP
I am going along with this to keep his interest up as his playing progresses and he has been working very hard on his playing and saving his own money.

Try to find a Peavey Ecoustic.  Fender made something similar 'Acoustisonic", and a "Jr." version as well - used, it might come close to your budget, used.

YMMV

BTW, these are solid state designs, but they sound good, and you can even plug a mike into the Ecoustic (I think the fenders too) and sing along with your picking, as a mini-PA....

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well then, if it's amplified, it really isn't "acoustic" any more, is it?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top