Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2011 7:17:58 AM EDT
my brother machine of two years is not communicating with my computer, at first won't scan, now prints garbled images/text.

a google search shows there is no fix for this "failed to connect" error with brother.

sucks cause until now it was twice the machine the previous canon was at half the price.

so what does arfkom recommend?

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Canon MX 870 multi functional.  Plus it has wireless printing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I know there are more than enough printer repair men here to assist you.

That being said, I've always had good luck w/ Lexmark.
Speed
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#3]
PC Loadletter???

WTF does that mean?!?!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:22:17 AM EDT
[#4]
canon is the best, but ink costs a bot more
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:27:38 AM EDT
[#5]
gotta be a laser.

doesn't have to print color.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:27:39 AM EDT
[#6]
IDK, but I recommend you get something networkable and Laser, NO ink!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Go Laserjet.

Color printing can be done at Wallyworld or Target.

A separate flatbed scanner and printer can make copies, just as well as an AIO.  Who faxes anything anymore?

I've had a damned good run with HP. I do have a networked laserjet HP AIO that can copy/fax/scan, but I prefer to use the stand-alone flatbed scanner.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:33:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I use a Brother bw laser all-in-one and it's been great
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#10]
We still get and send faxes quite often.  I've had a Brother for 8 or 9 years now.  Best $400 I ever spent on a print/copy/fax machine.  Sorry to hear the newer ones aren't as bullet proof.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've had two Cannons and two HPs die on me in the last 8 months or so I actually got my first Brother and so far so good

while not an 'all-in-one', my first laser printer, a brother, is awesome. I would buy another Brother printer before anything else.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Anything but HP.

The hardware is fine, its the software that comes with it that sucks so much ass.
I've had brand new computers with nothing installed have issues with the iinstallation of HP software.

i've had so many issues with the solution center not seeing the printer anymore or not installing correctly and yet windows can see the usb printer perfectly fine.

It got to the point where I recommend anything but HP products.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I've had two Cannons and two HPs die on me in the last 8 months or so I actually got my first Brother and so far so good

How's the sister been?

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Go Laserjet.  

Color printing can be done at Wallyworld or Target.

A separate flatbed scanner and printer can make copies, just as well as an AIO.  Who faxes anything anymore?

I've had a damned good run with HP. I do have a networked laserjet HP AIO that can copy/fax/scan, but I prefer to use the stand-alone flatbed scanner.

We have two printers here.

We've got a hp color laser that has been a GREAT performer.

But for the bulk of our stuff we need a black and white laser all in one.

the brother has been good, but this is unacceptable and unfixable.

lexmark? hp?

I'm gonna start posting actual models (of printers).

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Screw the price of the printer. Price out the cartridges.

We have a lexmark. I get bent over the printer desk every time I go to buy more ink.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:52:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I just bought an HP 6500A wireless color printer/copier/fax/scanner.  Works well, toner is expensive.

It was on sale at Sam's Club for $99.99.  I saw it this weekend at Costco for $144.99, so shop around.

Also, it has its own e-mail address, I can send it output from anywhere and it will print at home and be waiting for me.

Steve
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:53:53 AM EDT
[#19]
my success with previous brothers - printer sand all in ones - led me to replace our canon with a brother.

never again.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#20]
All in one units are all crap.

Quoted:
I know there are more than enough printer repair men here to assist you.

That being said, I've always had good luck w/ Lexmark.

Speed

I hope you know how to shoot, because you'll not make it as a printer ninja.  Saying the word lexmark in a room full of printer ninjas is like saying child support in Camden.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Most of the all in one machines are the suck compared to seperate units. Ricoh makes a great line of laser printers. Been using them for 10-12 years. We do a fairly high volume of full color copies making customer labels along with quite a few black/white copies & their machines have been outstanding in a business environment. I'd go e-fax & just use a good scanner to send faxes via e-fax (We have an Epson, but that was just because it was in stock at Frys).

Find an actual Ricoh dealer, buy a good machine with a service contract that includes all of your toner & leave the Office Depot/Max disposable cheapos alone. The difference in a good laser & ink jet is clear.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Printer manufacturers are in the business of toner sales. Printers are a means to that end. Depending on how much printing you do, the printer cost may only be a small part of the equation.

The more you pay up front, the less you will pay in toner. You will have to do the math. Once you settle on a family of printers, price out the advertised life of the toner cartridge and what the slightly upgraded printer and toner cartridge life is. Compare that with your needs.

Also, black and white versus color? (and get a laser, inkjets just can't hang anymore)
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I got a Lexmark Pro 901.  Wireless, Flat Bed Scanner, Fax, Black in cartridge is $4.99.  Was $299 Office Depot had them on sale
for $199 and if you brought in an old printer would give you another $50.  I needed to replace a the drum and that was going
to cost me $120.  The new printer cost me $150.  Flame away.  BTW I fax between my attorney, the county, my docs and Workes Comp.
So again flame away.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I got an HP LaserJet 1212 several weeks ago. Prints and scans great. Obviously too early for me to endorse it's reliability.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I really dont' care about toner prices.

this is for an office not my home.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a Brother MFC-7340 for my home office. I'm pretty pleased with it. Wasn't a whole lot of money either. Under 2 hundred bucks if I remember.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top