Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2011 4:58:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:59:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Good that they're getting them, at least. Sucks they have to do it themselves, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:59:43 AM EDT
[#2]
They are full of shit.

They just found a good excuse to go buy another rifle without the Director of Finances (wife unit) bitching about it!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:00:00 AM EDT
[#3]
If I worked there, I would want a full auto.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why?  You would be hung out to dry by politicans for one shot just as much as for twenty.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:03:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good that they're getting them, at least. Sucks they have to do it themselves, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

This.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:03:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think the officers purchased the rifle pictured with the article.

From the article:
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:04:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Why not
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:04:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Love the picture they put in the article .

I wonder if they could make it more inflammatory?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:04:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I like how they use a picture of a M16A1 w/ M203 Grenade Launcher and a 70's era Colt 3X scope as a representation of the rifle that the officers bought.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:06:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

I think I would rather buy it myself then getting some hammiedown bubbaed bullshit. What would you rather tote around some off the shelf AR or a custom built AR with a BCM upper and one point sling with your choice of optic.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:07:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like how they use a picture of a M16A1 w/ M203 Grenade Launcher and a 70's era Colt 3X scope as a representation of the rifle that the officers bought.

Give the news media credit at least, they used the correct rifle family.

It could have been a picture of an AK or Tec9.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:08:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

From the article:

Were putting wal-mart scopes on carrying handles now? haha You know some idiot democrat journalist googled that picture up and said I think this is it!

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:10:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the article:

http://www.kuar.org/thumbnail.php?file=Colt_AR_15_SP1_SP495xx__702927389.jpg&size=article_small

Were putting wal-mart scopes on carrying handles now? haha You know some idiot democrat journalist googled that picture up and said I think this is it!

The Colt scopes were actually pretty good. Hakko made a good version as well. (I think they might have been OEM on those?)
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:11:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give the news media credit at least, they used the correct rifle family.

It could have been a picture of an AK or Tec9.

They probably just googled "AR15" and scrolled through for the most evil looking thing they could find.  Disingenuous BULL SHIT! It ought to be a fucking crime, wait it IS a crime.

ARFCOMers spend a lot of time talking about the careers they hate; cops, teachers, lawyers etc.... we don't talk bad about reporters NEARLY enough.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Meh...That type of thing has been going on for years. My M1 Garand came from a retired cop that bought it on his own dime to use on the job back in the 70s.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:13:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

I think I would rather buy it myself then getting some hammiedown bubbaed bullshit. What would you rather tote around some off the shelf AR or a custom built AR with a BCM upper and one point sling with your choice of optic.

Many departments that allow rifles don't allow some "custom built AR with a BCM upper". Even if you buy yourself, you get a choice of a few manufacturers and you get to leave your gun the fuck alone. Some are even restricted to one specific model from one specific manufacturer. That sounds like the case in Little Rock.

And if it's used in a shooting, it's gone for a while. Would you rather tie up your gun or somebody else's gun?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:14:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't like it. Projects too much of a violent image. Suggest department issue flip flops and a whistle instead.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:18:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Good now they will be more protected in a No knock warrant, wish I could say that for the homeowner
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:22:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Why didn't the officers buy ASSAULT RIFLES?!, thats what the criminals use
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Many departments that allow rifles don't allow some "custom built AR with a BCM upper". Even if you buy yourself, you get a choice of a few manufacturers and you get to leave your gun the fuck alone. Some are even restricted to one specific model from one specific manufacturer. That sounds like the case in Little Rock.

And if it's used in a shooting, it's gone for a while. Would you rather tie up your gun or somebody else's gun?

Yep, the guy I got my Garand from told me they only had a choice between a M1 Garand and Carbine for privite purchase, had to buy them from a dept approved supplier, and could only use FMJ ammo in them.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:24:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They are full of shit.

They just found a good excuse to go buy another rifle without the Director of Finances (wife unit) bitching about it!

I suspect that a tax write-off was a selling point.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:25:42 AM EDT
[#22]
New no-knock entry method

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:26:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Unless the author can link the depicted AR set up to an actual purchase, he/she is a D-bag.  I don't have a problem with the police having ARs; this doesn't translate to these BS forced home entry ops of late.   If I was an LEO in Little Rock, I'd have a rifle in the car too.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:33:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:35:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My local sheriff rules for deputy-owned rifles as near as I can recall are:

Must be new purchase,  No used, previously owned or  parts builds. Must be purchased from one of two gun shops. Receipt is kept in deputy's file jacket.

Must be Bushmaster or Colt.

Only non-magnifying optics from certain brands allowed, black GI issue sling only. Collapsible stock allowed, but only if original to the gun. NO aftermarket parts. No lights.

Mags restricted to 20 rds, no polymer mags.

Ammo is dept issue only, IIRC, 55gr Federal softpoint. Officer held to a maximum 60 rounds.

It's all micro-managing BS.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:36:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:41:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

From the article:
http://www.kuar.org/thumbnail.php?file=Colt_AR_15_SP1_SP495xx__702927389.jpg&size=article_small

I'll take that for $900.00! actually, I'll take 5 please???
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:45:48 AM EDT
[#28]
My Brother spent 15+ years on LR swat team , it's a crazy place from time to time.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I would gladly buy my own if it was allowed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top