Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2011 4:46:01 AM EDT
The junta of experts tells us: ‘Vote how you like, but policies cannot change'

According to a poll conducted by Greece's Kappa Institute two weeks ago, 30 percent of Greek respondents actually want the country to be led by "a group of experts and technocrats."

A plurality of Greeks have now become so disillusioned with sovereignty and democracy that they think at least the experts could deliver something better than the seemingly insurmountable unemployment, corruption and economic collapse they see around them.

The same survey said that less than a quarter believed that a democratically-elected government will be able to overcome the ordeal they are going through.

But if the experts, the technocrats who are sidelining democracy in their subtle way, feel heartened by such polls, they should pause when they read the rest of this census.

A full 22.7 percent want "a strongman" to resolve the ongoing crisis

That's even putting aside the pretty scary implications of the focus of the article.

And it will come here.  When we are forced to stop borrowing and spending, there will be millions of Americans clamoring for someone to "just do what needs to be done", and to not let pesky things like popular opinion, votes, rights, due process, etc. stand in the way.  And the sad thing is, they'll be right... a popularly-elected governemnt can never fix the problems caused by the profligate spending voted in by the same public.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:50:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:50:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes I turn on the news and I feel like I'm watching a doc about the 30's
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:02:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Just keep in mind that the Federal Reserve Bank is a PRIVATE corporation...We did not elect anyone to do our bidding within the FRB, none of us are responsible for ANY of it's debt.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:18:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Just keep in mind that the Federal Reserve Bank is a PRIVATE corporation...We did not elect anyone to do our bidding within the FRB, none of us are responsible for ANY of it's debt.

And the 16th Amendment was never actually passed!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:20:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:25:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That only applies to the .Gov being able to tax you.

You're missing the point.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:26:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:41:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Greece is reaping the rewards of its democracy. All democracies fall victim to human nature, laziness and greed.

There is no easy answer to this. We all obviously want to be free but is freedom whats best for us in the long run?

Our founding fathers created a beautiful but extremely delicate system. I am 44 years old and I was fortunate enough to have lived my life during its time. Admittedly the past 44 years have been a weak and watered down version of the idea that was America, but at least I got a taste of it in its waning years and I was able to forge my life in its freedoms, for better or for worse. When I was stupid, lazy or procrastinated......I got hit hard. When I was motivated and driven, I succeeded wildly. I have no complaints, if Im not Brad Pitt, Bill Gates or the President....its my fault. The America I grew up in afforded me every opportunity.

What scares me is my daughters America.....the future America. Shes 2 1/2 years old and its obvious at this point she wont get the benefit of the America I grew up in. It breaks my heart to see the direction this country is going in and to know that she will have to endure it. That she will not have my opportunities.

When she's 44 years old and she looks at the country around her and whats left of it and realizes it was the generations before her that squandered it, destroyed it and ate it alive from the inside out......can you blame her when she says a free republic or democracy just doesnt work?

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:44:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That only applies to the .Gov being able to tax you.

You're missing the point.

Well, a point is being missed in any case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top