Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2011 3:47:32 AM EDT
I am on my second otterbox.  First one, the rubber outer layer became so loose it would fall off.  The second case, I dropped yesterday and the plastic cracked.  It didn't even drop but from maybe two feet off the ground.  

I need a good case, similar to an otterbox but tougher.  What do ya'll use?

Anyone used this? http://www.goballisticcase.com/products/iphone-4-ballistic-hc-series-case

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:50:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't bother with a case, I have a (squaretrade) insurance policy that covers accidental damage instead

(My wife has a case and still managed to drop her phone multiple times finally resulting in a broken screen, luckily I had insurance on hers too so we had a replacement phone overnighted to her)
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:50:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Magpul?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:51:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am on my second otterbox.  First one, the rubber outer layer became so loose it would fall off.  The second case, I dropped yesterday and the plastic cracked.  It didn't even drop but from maybe two feet off the ground.  

Anyone used this? http://www.goballisticcase.com/products/iphone-4-ballistic-hc-series-case

I have the ballistic. No problems.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:54:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:55:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out the Speck candy shell line I have this one and would highly recommend it.

http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-case/iphone-4-case/candyshell-iphone-4-cover-black.html

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:55:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I use the Vapor Case:

Vapor Case
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:58:03 AM EDT
[#7]

hmm... interesting.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:59:54 AM EDT
[#8]

that's a good looking case, but 80$ and no screen protection kills it for me :(
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:00:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Tag

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:01:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Magpul?

not ruggedized enough.  says it's for 'basic' protection.  since i've gone through my second otterbox, which is supposed to be the standard of ruggedized cases, i'm not sure where i can go from here.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:01:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tag

pfft!  i need input! not a tag!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:02:05 AM EDT
[#12]
LIFEPROOF!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:07:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, I use a screen protection with the vapor case.
As for the case: they are made in China anyway just like the iPhone itself. So why not buy it there directly....

Vapor Case CN

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:10:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
LIFEPROOF!!!!!

dang! that is pretty cool.  wonder about drops though....
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:11:11 AM EDT
[#15]
If I upgrade to a 4 from my 3gs w/otterbox I'm going with a lifeproof case
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:15:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

hmm... interesting.

i like mine, but it does make the phone considerably bigger

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:15:47 AM EDT
[#17]
If you broke 2 otterboxes you will probably not be happy with anything.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:25:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I use a screen protection with the vapor case.

As for the case: they are made in China anyway just like the iPhone itself. So why not buy it there directly....

Vapor Case CN

Is that site legit? Have you ordered from there?

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:55:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I had the same problem with the otterbox so I bought the Griffin Survivor. I've had it for around 3-4 months and no sign of the silicone becoming loose.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/armored

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:58:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Ai chihuahua!  Ordered!

...now I need an iPhone.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:10:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It sure is. Just pick a seller with lots of pos. feedback. I also ordered a gun sight, sling and small parts there. It's escrow payment by paypal anyway, you only release the payment after you receive your stuff.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:38:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It sure is. Just pick a seller with lots of pos. feedback. I also ordered a gun sight, sling and small parts there. It's escrow payment by paypal anyway, you only release the payment after you receive your stuff.

I'm trying it.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:39:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Magpul?

The magpul case offers little to no protection what so ever.  The only thing is offers is tactic cool.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:41:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Dude, I have a ballistic case.

You can have it.

If you drag your ass to the range this weekend I will bring it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:44:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I couldn't imagine putting my sleek, slim iPhone4 in one of those brick cases. I guess I'm one of those fit & finish guys
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:46:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Magpul?

I use the Magpul.
I went a long time without a case at all. Saw the Magpul at a gunshow and bought it.
I got an iPhone because of the size. I don't want to make any bigger.

What are y'all doing with your phones that you need a 17 piece, space-age case that doubles the size of the phone.
By the time you're finished you need a fucking shoulder strap to carry that fucker.

a-bare
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:49:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

hmm... interesting.
This is what I use. Its big but its pretty much bomb proof.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:57:30 AM EDT
[#29]
If you're going to put the phone in a case that quadruples its size anyway, why not just wrap it in bubble-wrap and then put it in a small Pelican case?

I've got my phone in a little rubber case, along the lines of the Magpul. (Only cost $5, though.)

I drop my phone all the time... not a mark on it.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:14:19 AM EDT
[#30]
I broke my otterbox a few times too.  Each time I took a picture of it and sent it to their customer service email.  The first time it was because of a stretched silicone skin.  They sent me a new skin  The second time was because of a broken belt clip and broken plastic shell.  Last week I received a brand new complete case under their warranty. I would try and file a warranty claim with them and get a new one.  A friend of mine has the ballistic case and it gets the oil slicks on the screen cover.  The griffin one is nice but the holster isn't as protective as the otterbox one.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you're going to put the phone in a case that quadruples its size anyway, why not just wrap it in bubble-wrap and then put it in a small Pelican case?

I've got my phone in a little rubber case, along the lines of the Magpul. (Only cost $5, though.)

I drop my phone all the time... not a mark on it.

Here's a selling point for an Otterbox Defender: My lovely wife knocked her Otterbox wrapped iPhone 4 in a full bathtub. It floated long enough for her to reach down and snatch it from a watery death. Minimal water seeped into the case and it was easily dried off and works just fine. Had it not been in a case, it would have sunk straight to the bottom and likely been dead as a hammer.

That bulky $50 dollar case saved me over $600 in that case.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:16:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, I have a ballistic case.

You can have it.

If you drag your ass to the range this weekend I will bring it.

does it suck?  i could come on sunday, but don't ask what i'm doing saturday
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:59:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you broke 2 otterboxes you will probably not be happy with anything.

Seriously.  What in the hell are you doing to your phone, using it as a melee weapon or something?

nothing

it dropped off my motorcycle in my garage saturday while i was changing the oil in the wife's car.  picked it up and noticed the case was cracked.  first time the rubber skin became so loose that it would come off on its own.  very annoying.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I bought that piece of shit otter box too; the sales guy told me they were the toughest.... so this thread interest; yeah.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I broke my otterbox a few times too.  Each time I took a picture of it and sent it to their customer service email.  The first time it was because of a stretched silicone skin.  They sent me a new skin  The second time was because of a broken belt clip and broken plastic shell.  Last week I received a brand new complete case under their warranty. I would try and file a warranty claim with them and get a new one.  A friend of mine has the ballistic case and it gets the oil slicks on the screen cover.  The griffin one is nice but the holster isn't as protective as the otterbox one.

i did that the first time.  just took some pics of the rubber coming loose.  they sent me an entire otterbox case.  i don't feel like messing around with it, plus the otterbox lets a lot of lint inside the screen, at least on mine.  about once a month i take it apart and clean it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:10:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Try switcheasy
Switcheasy
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I couldn't imagine putting my sleek, slim iPhone4 in one of those brick cases. I guess I'm one of those fit & finish guys

This. I ditched my otterbox because the damned thing doubled the size of the phone, and was hell to get in and out of my pockets...

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Guys at work use Otterbox without any problems. Just clip it onto your belt. If you intend to stick the iPhone4 in your pocket, get a slimmer case like the Vapor or Magpul and use screen protection.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This is the case doing it's job, btw.

You don't want the case material stronger than the phone itself.  Otherwise the energy will just be transferred into the phone and break the phone anyway.

I haven't had any loosening of the rubber on my Defender.  Though I did get one from what had to be the first production run for the AT&T version.

The Ballistic case SUCKS.  Do not get it.  ill fitting, cheaply made, no anti "oil slick" coating on the inside of the screen protector.  It's worth maybe $10.  Not the $50 that they want for it.

Lifeproof case is worth a look.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#41]
there are many different otterboxes, you guys may not have had their best, or maybe the one i have is just great, and I take care of my phone.

Oh well, if this one goes TU, my next will be otterbox as well.

TXL
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I had the same problem with the otterbox so I bought the Griffin Survivor. I've had it for around 3-4 months and no sign of the silicone becoming loose.
http://www.griffintechnology.com/armored
http://www.phonefav.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/griffin-survivor-iphone4.jpg

This is what I'm sportin'... So far it rocks...
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#43]
My iPhone 4 has been pocket carried since I bought it the week it came out and there isn't a single scratch on the screen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top