Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2002 12:01:53 PM EDT
Shooting my new RRA based SPR-B, surplus Korean PS 77 and 78 55grn FMJ.  Boom!  I gotta faceful of gas and all my ammo, follower, spring, and floorplate flew out onto the ground.  
Examination of the spent case shows the primer backing out, primer almost pierced, and three splits!  The main one starts at the primer pocket and up the body about 1/4", the other two are small ones on the shoulder and at the case mouth respectively.

I had to take a few seconds and make sure I had all my fingers and stuff!  What sucks is, I have 800 rounds of this stuff left!
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad your digits and nose are still there!  [BD]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#4]
That's fucked.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Since you're able to type I'll assume all ten of your digits are intact. in which case I'm glad you came out of it unharmed....
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Weapon is unharmed, as am I.  I smooshed the mag body back in my bench vise, and reassembled it.  It seems ok!

If I can find my digicam, who will host the pic?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll host it and put the pics in the Ammo Forum.
View Quote

Ok thanks....gimme a day or two to find my camera.  If I can't find it, I'll bring the case to the BRC if you want to take pics!

Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad you are okay.

[beer]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#11]
On the otherside:I've gone over 2000 rounds of the stuff without a hiccup.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the kind words guys.  Vinnie, you and I corresponded about this ammo before.  How crappy looking was the batch you had?  The case that ruptured had a few corrosion spots that didn't tumble off.  I wonder if tumbling the ammo may have been at fault.  The first 4 batches I did, I disassambled some samples from each batch to make SURE the powder wasn't deteriorating, and it was fine!  I know this wouldn't be the first ever split case caused by weak brass though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for the kind words guys.  Vinnie, you and I corresponded about this ammo before.  How crappy looking was the batch you had?  The case that ruptured had a few corrosion spots that didn't tumble off.  I wonder if tumbling the ammo may have been at fault.  The first 4 batches I did, I disassambled some samples from each batch to make SURE the powder wasn't deteriorating, and it was fine!  I know this wouldn't be the first ever split case caused by weak brass though.
View Quote

The second batch of 1000 I tried looked really bad.  I actually bought this case from a member who was down on his luck (fired from his job), and lived only a few minuts from me.  The ammo was really badly tarnished, had crud all over it, and some dents.  At the time I was really new to AR's and didn't think twice about loading up my mags and blasting away.  Before this batch, I was buying the Korean Surplus from Wholesale Guns and Ammo.  It can in 50 cal cans, 820 rounds per can.  This ammo wasn't as badly tarnished.  The really ugly ammo came in a cardbord case, 30 round boxes (plain brown just like the ones in the ammo can), 1000 rounds per case.

I see I didn't say it before (sometimes I'm an idiot) but I am glad you weren't hurt.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 The case that ruptured had a few corrosion spots that didn't tumble off.  I wonder if tumbling the ammo may have been at fault.
View Quote

Oh, MAN!  You tumbled the ammo??!!!

VERY No-No!

Not saying that's your problem, but NEVER tumble loaded ammo.  Tumbling causes the powder to break down into smaller particles, changing the burning rate.  Have seem MANY cautions in loading manuals about NOT tumbling ammo.

View Quote

Yes, I have seen them too.  This is why I knocked down a sample from the first four batches to check.  Please lets not turn this into the old argument, I followed a few threads that went on forever (can not-can too!).  The ammo vendor that sold it said that they had customers who tumbled loaded ammo w/o a problem.  Another guy claimed that ball ammo was ok, stick powder broke down too fast.  Knowing that there has been disagreement here on the board over it, I took samples of four rounds from each of the first 100 round batches I did, and took them apart to inspect the powder.  No deterioration was seen.  That doesn't mean it didn't happen though.  All it would take is a leaky primer pocket.  The powder gets wet AND the case corrodes inside.  Tumble it, and blammo!

I think I will seperate out any rounds that show evidence of being exposed to moisture, and take them apart for bullets to reload!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top