Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2002 11:37:28 AM EDT
On my way back from the Oyster Stampede I stopped and picked me up 15 six week old Chinese Ringnecks.  I will raise them all summer and use them for brush up training for my Lab before season.  Anyone else?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Great idea! Wish we could get some here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#2]
That's just cruel and inhumane!!  [;)]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#3]
some guys raise um to stock thier land for hunting.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was young my Dad bought a bunch of pheasant chicks. When they got big enough he released them. Only did that 1 year,never shot any of them. After we let them go we never saw one again
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#5]
One of my friends raises ~400 ringnecks each year. We have also raised Chukars a few times as well. We have about 400 acres that we hunt, where we have a large covered pen to house the birds. We generally release 10-20 birds at a time, a few days before we hunt. I think the local predators thank us. We have tried to restock a "native" population on the property by overwintering hens and a few cock birds, and releasing them on greenup. After 3 years of this, we have very little evidence that any released pheasants are rearing young. The habitat would seem to be ideal. Here in NY, most pheasant hunting is from State or private raised birds, and is bascially "put and take." The local "native" populations have dwindled.

My friend also raises German Wirehair Pointers, from where I obtained my dog, Kelli. Nearing 4 years old, Kelli has been a great companion, and is hell on birds-both on land and water. Love that stumpy-tailed dog!

BTW, 1GUNRUNNER, my father-in-law has a 2 1/2 year old black lab bitch which is best friends with Kelli. You wouldn't believe how these 2 dogs play with each other!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top