Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2002 7:54:38 AM EDT
Details are a bit sketchy at the moment, but a barge has evidently struck a bridge along I-40 in Eastern Oklahoma collapsing a 400 ft. section of it and sending cars into the Arkansas River. Emergency medical crews are on the scene.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.cnn.com/[/url]

A barge struck a bridge over the Arkansas River along Interstate 40 on Sunday morning, collapsing a 400-foot section of the bridge and throwing cars and trucks into the river. At least five people were injured. An initial report from the scene indicated nine cars and seven tractor-trailers were in the water. The highway was shut down in both directions
View Quote

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sadness.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 5/26/2002 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#2]

[url]www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,53743,00.html[/url]

A second bridge, at Webbers Falls, where traffic would have tried to pass after the first bridge collapsed, also was hit Sunday morning and was shaking but hadn't collapsed, Horn said.
View Quote

Interesting that a bridge on the alternate route for I-40 was hit as well...

[adjust tinfoil hat] Just another isolated incident? [/adjust tinfoil hat]

edited for link
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 8:30:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Was the Captain of the Barge wearing a sheet on his head?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#4]
At this point the news media is labeling this as an "accident". There was a complex of showers and thunderstorms moving through the area at the time and there may have been heavy fog due to this. But anytime I hear of a building blowing up such as the deal in California on Friday or damage to our infrastructure as the situation on I-40 today, I am always a bit suspicious.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#5]
You mean we have rivers deep enough to float things bigger than folded newspaper boats in this state....who'da thought.

Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You mean we have rivers deep enough to float things bigger than folded newspaper boats in this state....who'da thought.

View Quote

Port of Tulsa at Catoosa.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#8]
platform389, you still watch that crap?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
platform389, you still watch that crap?
View Quote

Errr, No.  Just the first place I could think of to provide a link. [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/dunce.gif[/img]

[img]http://rockbottomdlux.freewebspace.com/smilies/WithStupid.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#10]
the skinny..

i went shooting today over by wagoner. that channel is HUMMING from all that water we have had in the last 2 weeks in OK and KS. we all said something like that would be a wicked bitch to manuever on when its like that.

it looks like the tow rope got away from an empty barge due to current.

the guy i was with comes from a family of river pilots and he said that its very tough to control barges like that in very rough conditions thru storms and massive current.

it looks like a real mess. I-40 is a major road here leading to TINKER AFB, LITTLE ROCK AFB and of course the MCAAP..

Link Posted: 5/26/2002 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Fortunately it's not the route to the BRC!!  But we'll see additional traffic on I44 from Tulsa to St. Louis and back.  And probably on the way to Tulsa too.  Gotta get the maps out and look for the best route from Dallas.  Maybe the Indian Nation Turnpike??
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Are you an idiot, or something? Jesus Christ, how long has the Kerr-McClellan Navigation System been open, thirty-some-odd years. God, read a book once in awhile.

Any of you guys been skiing on the Verdegris river
View Quote

No, but I've been to the [b]VERDIGRIS[/b] River.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you an idiot, or something? Jesus Christ, how long has the Kerr-McClellan Navigation System been open, thirty-some-odd years. God, read a book once in awhile.

Any of you guys been skiing on the Verdegris river
View Quote

No, but I've been to the [b]VERDIGRIS[/b] River.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure he was joking....somebody make peepee in your cornflakes this morning?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top