Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 6/17/2011 1:32:32 PM EDT
http://www.volunteertv.com/national/headlines/Mom_pleads_guilty_to_spanking_own_child_124072014.html
Judge has harsh words for Mom before sentencing her for spanking her kid

Rosalina Gonzales had pleaded guilty to a felony charge of injury to a child for what prosecutors had described as a "pretty simple, straightforward spanking case." They noted she didn't use a belt or leave any bruises, just some red marks
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Spanking your kid doesn't teach them anything. In fact families that spank yield children with more violence levels. If your kid does something stupid then put them in timeout/grounding/take away something and explain to them why they are being punished and to not do it again. Don't get hysterical, be mature and handle it like an adult.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I sure as fuck do.  My five year old, I've never spanked.  Don't need to.  My 4 year old, however, well...spanking is the only thing that works.  The problem is that too many people equate spanking with abuse.  I don't advocate beating kids, but spanking them?  Fuck yes, if they deserve it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, really?
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The pussification of America.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Spanking your kid doesn't teach them anything. In fact families that spank yield children with more violence levels. If your kid does something stupid then put them in timeout/grounding/take away something and explain to them why they are being punished and to not do it again. Don't get hysterical, be mature and handle it like an adult.

Don't have any kids do you?
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Implying you know the best way to teach a kid something because your sperm fertilized an egg.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I feared spanking.  

I got a chill up my back the other day when my wife was going through drawers
in the kitchen.  It was the sound of kitchen drawers, opening up and, closing
fast that made me flash to my mom's search for a wooden spoon.

I'm 43 years old.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems to me the children that aren't ever spanked are the easy ones to spot. They're always the ones making scenes in public while their parents try completely ineffectively to calm them down by whispering nice things in their ears, laughing embarrassingly, or giving an obviously weak reprimanding.

They're also probably the same jerks that grow up as those who are "entitled" to everything.

Do all kids need to be hit? No. But some definitely do.

Note: I am not at all advocating child abuse. There's a huge difference between physically punishing a child and abusing them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Depends on the kid.  If what you do works for your kids, good on ya'.  Not ALL kids respond to timeout.  Come try that on my 4 year old.  Does NOT work.  Spanking does.  She's not terrified of me, nor is she bruised.  She doesn't get spanked for every little thing either.  Spanking is just another tool in the toolbox.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Implying you know the best way to teach a kid something because your sperm fertilized an egg.

So....no?
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Some states may have laws against it??

Never heard of someone getting a felony charge for spanking their kids.

I do not and would not spank my kid. She responds very well to timeouts and the potential of losing toys/things she likes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I prefer psychological abuse...
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was pretty much my feeling.

Spanking is a last resort, but, just like you get a range
of punishment in court, you get a range of punishment as a child.

Fire is hot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I hope you were being Sarcastic!

I was spanked quite often for being a bad boy. I hated it and figured out that I had better behave or my ass was gonna get chapped.

The only thing I've been in trouble for as an adult, Is a speeding ticket.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yep.

No father present. And if he is, no spanking.

We now have a culture of inconsiderate, entitled, slobs and dullards. But they're good at X-Box...

PS: No one is recommending abusive beatings, but an occasional whack on the ass can focus a child.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Yes, as evidenced by some of the replies in this thread.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I feared spanking.  

I'm 43 years old.

wooden spoons....bad memories.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#20]
spanking is a solid discipline action. Spanked both of my kids and they turned out great. push-ups work real well too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You sound like the voice of experience and wisdom.  How many children do you have?
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Judge needs to be run out of town on a rail ... Teach him a little something about what physical abuse is and isn't.

Myself and both of my sisters were spanked when we needed it, and I guaran-fucking-tee you my kids and theirs are all getting a paddling if it's warranted.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Spanking your kid doesn't teach them anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning

Start there. In this day and age there's no excuse for ignorance.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't think so.

That was hardly even a cogent reply.  More suited to /b/ than to an adult conversation.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I can sense the stupid is going to come out REALLY strong in this thread.

Spanking causes violence hahaha wow.........nevermind...
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sound like the voice of experience and wisdom.  How many children do you have?

Everyone is a great parent and has all the answers.   Until they have kids.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Yes, as evidenced by some of the replies in this thread.

yep
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

So what do you do when timeout/take away don't work?  When they continue to ramp up the defiance won't sit in time out etc?

Unless you have a child, you really can't say shit, because you have zero experience with actually getting through to a child...

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I feared spanking.  

I'm 43 years old.

Exactly! When my mom grabbed a wooden spoon, I immediately knew to never do or say that stupid shit again!

I can still remember the sound of it as she smacked it on the butcher block countertop as fair warning. After a while, that's all it took.

It's conditioning. Like Pavlov.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  Obviously you don't have kids.  You don't have to beat your children but a quick swat on the ass will sure straighten them out.  I agree that it can't all be spanking but to say that it does nothing is bull.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Without my Mother ,Father,Grandads and grandmothers lighting my ass up I would have been in prison at 18..

I have never been to jail or in any trouble because I learned what consequences are..

However you cannot whip your kids unless the have a true sense of your love for them..
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone is a great parent and has all the answers.   Until they have kids.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I spank my children when they do something that is potentially dangerous, or they are REALLY having a breakdown and other methods have failed.  That said, I watch out what I post in spanking threads because you never know who's reading/posting or why...  There are some weirdos out there who beat off to this stuff.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah, ok. You can go handle my 2 out of control nieces. Their parents believe in time-out as well and the children spend the better part of the time beating the hell off eachother, hair pulling, and defying their elders.

Sorry, spankings will happen in my household. MYOB.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCKING FOR REAL?

i'm guessing no kids, or one of those dumb fuck that let their kids treat resturant furniture like fucking jungle gyms while screaming at the top of their lungs because little tommy is just expressing himself. lol

spanking is a good tool when a child is young and doesn't understand anything else. after the age of 5 to 7 its too late.

i know it works cause all i have to do is give either of my kids the look and they will fall inline. im complimented all the time how well behaved my 14 and 5 yearold are.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I agree. SPanking does nothing if the child doesn't know how much you really love them.

I was spanked a lot as a child, and I deserved them.

Now here I am at 26, no trouble with the law, clean driving record, and do my best to be more socially adept / polite than my peers. Some children react well to spankings and some don't. I did. Another thing: a hand doesn't always work. I've gotten belts, wooden spoons, the back side of brushes, and a hand crafted hickory paddle. Not once do I feel like I was abused.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Holy crap! Spanking a Felony ?

I do believe in Illinois it is still considered coporal punishment, although I wouldn't be surprized if they wanted to make it a class X felony.

This is just asinine,

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feared spanking.  

I'm 43 years old.

When mom was to that point hell was on the way.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Time Out ......  

my Dad could swing a belt IF needed and when I was growing it, trust me I needed it at times. now days you can hardly go to the store or have a nice dinner out because some kid is having a fit and their Mom or Dad has no idea how to discipline Jr. They are afraid they might hurt Jr's pride or self confidence when he grows up. Little do they know that Jr is actually training the parents to get pretty much what he wants, when he wants. Just wait till he is 16 and tell them to go fuck themselves and taking their car.

A good spanking (and I am not talking a beating here) for a kid can do wonders to let them know that you are still the parent and what you say goes.

There is little or no discipline for most kids today. Look at your local public school system. The kids are running the school and not the teachers. Why? because you can't touch them and they know it. I promise you if they could discipline them, there would be a whole less problems than there are today.

Time Out ......   you must be kidding me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I have three kids; aged 28, 26, and 8. Multigenerational, if you will.

I've spanked each of them once or twice.

They are all polite and respectful. No problems.

But those spankings were requisite parts of my parental discipline. They KNEW I meant business.

*I* should be the one who determines when that's necessary, not the state.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The pussification of America Tejas.

FIFY.

You can spank the shit out of your kids here. Cops even tell kids it is fine when they try and get their parents arrested for it. Spanking is acceptable, beating is not.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Spank them don,t beat them.  I never had to spank my two daughters but my son knows what a belt is. when I would spank him he got no more than three licks.  I have no problems with him minding me,  when i ask him to do something he does it .
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Without my Mother ,Father,Grandads and grandmothers lighting my ass up I would have been in prison at 18..

I have never been to jail or in any trouble because I learned what consequences are..

However you cannot whip your kids unless the have a true sense of your love for them..

fucking truth.

and you always feel really bad after too. the "this is gonna hurt me more than it will hurt you" rings true.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I got spanked and slapped when I really deserve it and you can BET YOUR ASS I'll do the same to my kids.

I had a wonderful family and my father is a great man, he raised me well.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I spank my children when they do something that is potentially dangerous, or they are REALLY having a breakdown and other methods have failed.  That said, I watch out what I post in spanking threads because you never know who's reading/posting or why...  There are some weirdos out there who beat off to this stuff.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/schkoot/a57f8e41.jpg

WTF

No shit some people get off on this shit.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I feared spanking.  

I'm 43 years old.

Wooden spoons would break. It was the nylon spatulas that put the fear of god into me.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#49]
This society has grown SOFT.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Really?  How can a 6 year old understand "Adult reasoning".... Spank the damn kid if they need it...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top