Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2002 9:14:37 PM EDT
I bought a [b]SIIG Inc[/b] GeForce2 mx400 w/ 64MB SDRAM & 256-bit engine, it is an AGP slot video card.

My Mother Board is a peace of sh!t board that I bought at Fry's as a MoBo/CPU package deal and has built in on board video.  After I installed the AGP card and plugged the monitor in its new slot I didn't get any video.  So I went into BIOS and changed the viddeo default setting to recognize AGP video, I then rebooted.  After the start up screen the video would just flicker and was unreadable.

I then went back into BIOS and changed the video setting to PCI slot, restarted and I was then able to see decent video.  However, the overall graphics are poor and I know I am not getting the full benefits of the card.

There is no setting in BIOS that completely disables the onboard video.  If I physically cut the wires of the onboard video will this force the BIOS to read only the AGP card??

Will it screw anything else up?

Or is there an other way to completely disable the on board that I am over looking?

Thanks

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Well , what the board / chipset , operating system , power supply out in watts , etc etc . Did you disable onboard video ? NOTE : Some motherboards with onbord video WIL NOT support another video card even if it has a AGP slot ( HP is known for selling systems with this type of motherboard !)
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Set the BIOS to the on-board video.
Reboot.
Once in Windows, go to your display properties and set it to 640 by 480, 16bit colors, at say 60 or 75 Hertz.
Reboot, go into the BIOS.
Make the AGP card the primary display adapter.
Reboot.
Back in Windows, you can tinker with your video settings until you're satisfied. Don't worry, if you set it for instance to 100Hz, 32bits, 1024 by 800, and the display becomes just garbled, just wait 15 seconds, and it reverts itself to the previous, usable one.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#3]
What KAR98 said, if you still have problems then it may not be an issue with your vidio card but with your monitors resolution capabilities.

Bob  
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you have an intruction manual for this board?  It might have an onboard jumper to disable the video.  I tcan be disabled, either by bios or jumper.  Have you tried updating the bios.  Also is your board AGP 4X compliant?  DO NOT CUT THE WIRES TO THE ONBOARD VIDEO...Bad idea. Monitor resolution will not matter for the intial bootup screen it is set to a low res and refresh rate.  In windows thats a different story.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 11:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, I installed the drivers.  I will try some of the other suggestions.

Thanks Guys

Sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top