Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2002 8:56:13 PM EDT
I am doing an argumentative paper on why handguns should not be banned. I was wondering if anyone has any interesting statistics, or knows somewhere where I could get some help. I would like to know how many annual firearm deaths and suicides there are. Thank you for any info.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
How is Madison these days?
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course! Just like booze was in the 20's.. Oh..Right..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Ban 'em - do it for the children.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Not just no but,

FUCK NO !!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
where I could get some help.
View Quote

The clinic - penicillin can do wonders.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't shot anybody this year yet.

Is that a statistic ?  [;D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
HI newbie.Try DU or HCI;they have ALL the information you are looking for[:k]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Why handguns should NOT be banned?  Because there is an inalianable right to protect oneself.  Ever read the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution?  I could ask you why your freedom of speech should not be banned?  And maybe why we shouldn't ban whatever religion you practice?
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The damn things are dangerous, yes they should be banned.

They go off all the time like this...BOOM!
View Quote

Damn!!  You killed Wolfpack!!!  I liked him.

Sgtar15

PS Give everyone a pistol in the USA and watch crime drop.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
PS Give everyone a pistol in the USA and watch crime drop.
View Quote

It worked for England, when we gave them rifles back in the day.  Of course, then their government stripped them and *BOOM*, whatdya know, crime went up.

Imagine that...
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#12]
You cannot uninvent a technology.  The loaded question your survey is not asking is- If handguns are banned then who will have handguns?  We know the government is all for themselves having handguns and they will state they need them for police duties and to protect the public.  But from whom? Criminals, obviously they will be disarmed and will go to using knives and loaded syringes.  

Do we then go back to the 1700s and also carry swords, rapieers? [soapbox]

The question skirts the real problem of person to person violence.  The question is really how to stop the violence and that is a very loaded question-- many opinions, many dolts trumpeting their soloution that will not work.

The handguns are not the cause, but rather a symptom of the failures that start with the schools and continue with the government.

Statistics are basically irrelivent in this arguement. [soapbox] off
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Your darn right they should!  I wish I didnt have any in my home.  I'm dreading having to go into the apt tonight after work.  I dont know how many times I have come home and had one sitting outside the safe, just waiting to bust a cap in me.  Darn things are unpredictable!
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am doing an argumentative paper ...
View Quote

... Ha, how ironic. I have the EXACT same assignment this weekend. Similarly, I chose an RKBA issue for the thesis as well.
I was even thinking about having my brothers & sisters on board here critique it before presentation next Tuesday.

... Ha!
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ban 'em - do it for the children.
View Quote

[>(] What he said! [>(]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 11:56:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am doing an argumentative paper on why handguns should not be banned. I was wondering if anyone has any interesting statistics, or knows somewhere where I could get some help. I would like to know how many annual firearm deaths and suicides there are. Thank you for any info.
View Quote

Get a World Almanac!
Most book stores(& libraries)should have one.

The most recent figures I could find where for 1997.

total  32,166 (out of 270,000,000+ people)

17,566  suicides
        13,252  homicides
           981  accidental
           367  undetermined

Typically close to 90% of homicides & suicides are committed by men.

That same year

43,458 died in motor vehicle accidents
15,447 died from falling
10,163 died from poisoning
 4,051  died from drowning
 3,491  died in fires
 3,275  died from choking

It is estimated 100,000-200,000 people die every year due to medical errors in hospitals or due to infection (eg. sepsus) after surgery.

In 1998:

724,269  died from heart disease
538,947  died from cancer
158,060  died from stroke
114,381  from chronic lung diseases
 94,828  from pneumonia & influenza
 93,207  accidents & adverse effects
 64,574  diabetes mellitus
 29,264  suicide
 26,295  kidney disease
 24,936  liver disease

a bit morbid but puts things in perspective
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#17]
There are several things to think about:

1) If handguns are banned:
    a) Who will turn them in? Only the honest.
    b) Who will keep them? Criminals.
    c) As a result the above two, who will be
       victimized the honest by criminals.
    d) banning them won't keep people from
       manufacturing them on their own.

2) Look at history:
    a) When things are banned, that is
       "prohibited" (e.g.- The [u]Prohibition[/u])
       the demand won't go away. It only
       creates an underground market for these
       items.
    b) If criminals are allowed to use
       efficient tools (guns) to victimize
       the honest, what are the honest allowed
       to use?

3) Look at independant studies by universities not studies conducted by "pro or anti gun groups". Only "anti-gun" groups pay for studies and they "get what they pay for". Think about that!

4) Look at the long term before and after effects of gun bans internationally.

5) See books by Dr. Gary Kleck (Univ. of Florida (?)) and John Lott, jr. (now at Yale Univ.)

6) Get books like the FBI's Bureau of Justice Statistics Uniform Crime book (I forgot the exact title).

Has this helped any????
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 2:38:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Hand guns are made for killin'
Ain't no good for nothin' else
And if you like your whiskey
You might even shoot yourself
So why don't we dump 'em people
To the bottom of the sea
Before some fool come around here
Wanna shoot either you or me.

and besides....THEY ARE LOUD
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 2:48:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Somebody must've left the door open.

Look what the cat drug in...

[:K]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:19:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:31:21 AM EDT
[#21]
[b]I was wondering if anyone has any interesting statistics, or knows somewhere where I could get some help. I would like to know how many annual firearm deaths and suicides there are.[/b]

This is the place to get the stats your looking for:
[url]http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm[/url]

Mikw
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:31:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm living in Europe (Belgium). As you may know, most European governments are considering to ban all firearms (see article in Time International, issue May 13th) since there have been several shootings (school shooting Erfurt, Germany; shooting at community council, Nanterre, France).

Also here in Belgian, a silly lawyer started an organisation to ban all firearms (in their opionion, only LEO should have firearms).

Right now I'm writing a memo (unfortunately it is in Dutch) to be sent to newspapers and media where I defend that firearms should not be banned.

Since e.g. handguns were banned in the UK, violent crime has risen more than before. Also in Japan, where all firearms are banned only criminals and gangs have access to guns. In both countries, banning (hand)guns resulted in an increase of violent crime.

Hence, only criminals can reasonably be in favour of banning guns...

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:39:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
724,269  died from heart disease
View Quote

Ban bacon. It's for men 45-65.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Here are all the facts and statistics that you need:
http://[url]www.gunowners.org/fs0101.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
To the bottom of the sea

View Quote
If there is one song I HATE, it is this one. LOL
View Quote

How about " a southern man don't need you around, anyhow"? How about that Officer Tirdwhistle?
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
To the bottom of the sea

View Quote

Is that Skynerd?  If so, it's kind of ironic since they were killed via airplane, The saturday night special was no problem after all.

"And I'm tellin ya son, that it ain't no fun, starin straight down a .44"
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Sorry for the confusion...Drunkducky is my younger brother.  He is doing an argumentative paper [u]against[/u] handgun control.  

He isn't a [:K]...he just needs to clarify what he means.

Actually, it looks like he may be able to buy an AR15 before I do.[:(]

I told him to ask on [url]www.ar15.com[/url] for some stats.

Also he thinks his teacher is anti-gun, and so he picked this topic to piss her off.[}:D]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Oh, then by all means, you go, drunkducky. Look up the facts and stick to your "guns". That is, so long as you realize you might fail the class if your teacher is a real jerk.

Good luck on the paper.

-legrue
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 12:29:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 12:39:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
YAY!! i wrote one of those last year and still have it!!

"... ok, go to [url]www.standandfight.com[/url] and check out all the kick ass quotes. then, go to [url]www.nraila.org[/url] and look for some stuff about hand guns (sorry, can't remember where it was...)
View Quote

Hell, I'm plagerizing this biotch!!!

... naw, but good stuff I'll say. I like these kinda' assignments
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm living in Europe (Belgium). As you may know, most European governments are considering to ban all firearms ...

... Hence, only criminals can reasonably be in favour of banning guns...

View Quote

... Great first post [b]Rammyken[/b], good the hear from you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Winston, Drunk Ducky,

If you would like a review of your papers for accuracy, etc., I will be happy to help.

Disclaimer: I am no expert, only a concerned citizen who has spent an inordinate amount of time over the last few years reading up on this subject. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Handguns are already banned in many big cities (NY, DC Chicago etc).

That's why no one ever gets shot there anymore.

[:)]

Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, why don't we talk about the enlightened Europeans for a while?  

During the 1930's, following the Nazi lead, all over Europe gun registration and bans were effected.  When the Nazis came into France all they had to do was go to the police stations, gather the registration lists, and pick up guns.  If guns were missing from what was listed for each house, the people there were shot in their front yards as an example to their neighbors.

You have heard the term Quisling, to mean a traitor?  Quisling was a small time politician in Norway.  Lots of money, well run campaigns.  First thing you know, this guy is the President, Prime Minister, whatever they have there.  He caused to be enacted all sorts of gun laws, no military type or caliber guns, handguns, hunting guns locked up at the local clubs.  When the Nazis came in, they just did as the Russians did in Lithuania, went to the clubs and picked up the guns.

Turns out Quisling was secretly a Nazi, and was funded by them, paved the way for their entrance.  He was tried and hanged.  The name Quisling, to this day, means the very worst kind of traitor.

I wonder how many Jews, while riding the 40&8's (cattle cars) to Auschwitz and Buchenwald, would  have traded their first-born male son for handguns (or any gun) and ammunition?

The Europeans have a piss-poor memory when it comes to gun control and their recent history.  Don't they ever learn?

And I view any politician that wants to restrict my access to guns the same as Quisling.

Strong words?  You bet.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Try these:

[url]http://www.gunnery.net/gunfacts/index.html[/url]

[url]http://www.cphv.com/[/url]

[url]http://www.gunlies.com/gl/home1.htm[/url]

[url]http://guncite.com/[/url]

Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:09:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Thats right about saturday night specials,ban airplanes.    And if we would have banned helicopters soon enough Stevie Ray would still be alive!  Hell even Otis Redding,big Bopper,Buddy Hollie,Patsy Cline.   The list goes on and on.    It's just a shame that we have the Mark Chapmans .ect of this world to make it harder on us .

Bob     (RIP)
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:28:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 4:08:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Handguns are already banned in many big cities (NY, DC Chicago etc).

That's why no one ever gets shot there anymore.

[:)]

View Quote

Absolutely correct...I live near DC. Guns are banned there....and I'd feel perfectly safe strolling around the District any time night or day [whacko]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 4:13:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

In your paper please pose the following question to the reader.

"If criminals by their very nature don't obey the law, how will passing gun laws have any impact on what they do?"
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yeah, why don't we talk about the enlightened Europeans for a while?  

During the 1930's, following the Nazi lead, all over Europe gun registration and bans were effected.  When the Nazis came into France all they had to do was go to the police stations, gather the registration lists, and pick up guns.  If guns were missing from what was listed for each house, the people there were shot in their front yards as an example to their neighbors.

You have heard the term Quisling, to mean a traitor?  Quisling was a small time politician in Norway.  Lots of money, well run campaigns.  First thing you know, this guy is the President, Prime Minister, whatever they have there.  He caused to be enacted all sorts of gun laws, no military type or caliber guns, handguns, hunting guns locked up at the local clubs.  When the Nazis came in, they just did as the Russians did in Lithuania, went to the clubs and picked up the guns.

Turns out Quisling was secretly a Nazi, and was funded by them, paved the way for their entrance.  He was tried and hanged.  The name Quisling, to this day, means the very worst kind of traitor.

I wonder how many Jews, while riding the 40&8's (cattle cars) to Auschwitz and Buchenwald, would  have traded their first-born male son for handguns (or any gun) and ammunition?

The Europeans have a piss-poor memory when it comes to gun control and their recent history.  Don't they ever learn?

And I view any politician that wants to restrict my access to guns the same as Quisling.

Strong words?  You bet.
View Quote

And, doesn't it make you wonder about what agendas the gun control "leaders" have?  No one with any sense, regardless of political affiliation, could believe that a law is going to stop the criminals.  So, you only have stupidity or dishonesty (treason brewing).  ANy political type you know would admit to stupid?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a set of really good links at my website. Check them out.

[url]http://www.geocities.com/gebooth2001/debate.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Go to [url]www.a-human-right.com[/url]

They have some great stuff.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for your help on my paper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top