Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2002 3:01:10 PM EDT
Some of you might like to know about things like this.  Should be a good couple of nights for spotting Aurora's.

--------

[url]http://www.spaceweather.com[/url]

---------

A geomagnetic storm is underway on Thursday, May 23rd, after a
coronal mass ejection struck Earth's magnetic field earlier and with greater
energy than anticipated.  Sky watchers, especially those at high latitudes,
should be alert for auroras after local nightfall on Thursday.
Observers in, e.g., northern Europe, Canada and across the northern
tier of US states are favored, but mid-latitude observers might spot
something, too, if the storm continues and intensifies.  Visit
spaceweather.com for updates.

----------
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
THANKS.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Early Sunday morning I'll be on top of the volcano in Muaii where all the telescopes are. Hopefully it'll still be going on and maybe the wife and I will get a treat. Either way, just the sunrise should be great.
View Quote

I'm trying to think of a local mountain I can get to the top of around here.  Maybe I'll just cruise up to Mt Hood and do another night climb up the easy side.

There's nothing like watching the sun rise or a meteor shower from the top of mountain.

----------------

You're welcome SteyrAUG.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea, I think I'll BTT this once or twice to make sure those interested get the chance...

Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm, when deer hunting back in 90 we saw the Aurora as far south as Mid Northwest Oklahoma. Winter, and cold night. A crimson/burgandy color across the sky.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Last bounce... for the later evening crowd.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hmmm, when deer hunting back in 90 we saw the Aurora as far south as Mid Northwest Oklahoma. Winter, and cold night. A crimson/burgandy color across the sky.

Ben
View Quote

Back in the late 1950's during the days of atmospheric nuclear testing we saw the aurora borealis in Dallas.  As a child those red/burgundy curtains were amazing to me.  

Another time on a trans-Atlantic flight to avoid a storm we transited north near Greenland and got an incredible show of blue lights.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#9]

thanks man!

i love that stuff.

ill keep an eye out.

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Last bounce... for the later evening crowd.
View Quote

uhm... Last last bounce.  Just in case...

Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I just caught it - thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#13]
From earlier post:

Ben

View Quote

So that people will know that we were not poaching deer. We got to our stands at roughly 5:00am to get up before the deer got up.
We didn't take any deer.
Saw two Doe's though.

Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top