Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2002 9:35:13 AM EDT
I noticed on a couple of web sites that open carry is legal in NV.  However, I have never seen anyone walk down the street with a pistol on his belt.

If I were to strap my 44 on my hip and walk around would the cops bust my ass (for something like disturbing the peace).  I know all about CCW, carrying in cars, etc... just curious here.  Any NV cops on this board?
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#1]
As a NV resident, my understanding is that you may carry an exposed holestered firearm without a permit anywhere in NV with the exception of state, federal, and other gov't bldgs./property. And cities that have ordinances that prohibit open carry(as it stands now those are Reno and Vegas). Check with local LE agencies though before you commence with the act of open carry.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Ask Wolfpack... he's open carried here in Las Vegas a few times that I know of.  I tend to carry concealed since I have my permit and I prefer to be discrete.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Clark County (Las Vegas) has different firearms laws.

I suspect in other places (Reno, for example) it could generate some attention/questioning from cops.

I'd guess this is pretty much a nonissue, since NV is a shall-issue CCW state, even for out-of-staters. As of Jul 1 2002, just get certified for all the guns you wanna carry - they'll apparently be listed on your CCW permit. The old limit was two (2) on your permit.

Now (again, poss exception for Clark County resdients - dunno about travellers/drive-thrus) it IS legal to have a loaded, concealed weapon in your car that is not concealed on any person.
That is, you can have it under or on your seat or in your glove box, etc. - but it can't be under your jacket or belt or on ankle holster.

In fact Atty Gen. Frankie Sue Del Papa wrote:
  "It is our opinion that the language
   of NRS 202.350 would be narrowly
   construed to include only those
   concealed weapons which are actually
   on the person or in a container carried
   by the person." (summary, opinion 93-14)

So get that CCW and a nice shoulder rig for your 44...

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I should get a CCW.  I really resent having to submit to that sort of treatment though (getting gov 'permission' to carry, fingerprinting, license, etc).  At least we have the option in NV.  

Sometimes I carry in my glove box.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, I should get a CCW.  I really resent having to submit to that sort of treatment though (getting gov 'permission' to carry, fingerprinting, license, etc).  At least we have the option in NV.  

Sometimes I carry in my glove box.
View Quote

Where in NV do you live?  Vegas? Reno?
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#6]
NevadaARshooter,

If you live in the vicinity of Carson City, I highly recommend that you take your CCW class at Carson Armory. You throw a little lead down range, bullshit and tell war stories then you're done. It's kinda fun and you might learn something.

P.S. It is a violation of the NV constitution for LE agencies to register your weapons, therefore your CCW will contain discriptions and calibers, but no serial #'s. Thought that might make you feel a little better about the permit
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Reno.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I was looking at the Armed and Safe outfit here in Reno.  They have lots of classes so it looks convenient.

On the CCW, can I just list a 45 ACP and cover all 5 of my 45s or does each gun you carry have to be listed with make/model/cal/length/dick size/etc.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

P.S. It is a violation of the NV constitution for LE agencies to register your weapons, therefore your CCW will contain discriptions and calibers, but no serial #'s.
View Quote

Really?  How is it that I have a blue card for my handgun in my wallet with the make, model, caliber and serial # on it, issued by the metropolitan police dept?  Not flaming ya, just wondering how that is possible if the state constitution says it isn't allowed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Reno.
View Quote

Bummer... I'm always looking for more people to go shooting with!
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

P.S. It is a violation of the NV constitution for LE agencies to register your weapons, therefore your CCW will contain discriptions and calibers, but no serial #'s.
View Quote

Really?  How is it that I have a blue card for my handgun in my wallet with the make, model, caliber and serial # on it, issued by the metropolitan police dept?  Not flaming ya, just wondering how that is possible if the state constitution says it isn't allowed.
View Quote
I'm assuming you're LE. and if that's the case, your dept is either violating your rights or as policy they may want serial #'s to track and/or recover weapons belonging to their officers. Or maybe both.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#12]
NevadaARshooter,

Each weapon must be listed separatly even if they are the same caliber. The exception is weapons of the same model, make, caliber.(i.e. a glock 21 may be subbed for a different glock 21.)
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote
Gunbert, my CCW issued from Lyon Co. NV contains no serial #'s nor did the S.O. ever verify and serial #'s.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Since we're talking about Nevada and CCW, my recommendation is to go out to FrontSight, pay for and take the EXCELLENT ccw pistol course.

Afterwards you get a ccw for Nevada and Florida (even if you're not a resident) -- but the really nice thing is that these states have reciprocal agreements with 18 other states.  

[:)]

[url]http://www.frontsight.com/ccw21fm.htm [/url]

Seriously, if you're going to bother, why not do it right?

- CD
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#15]
GUNSNBOB, nope, I'm not a LEO, but I've sold guns in Clark county, and ALL handguns have to be registered.  You buy a firearm they'll do it for you when you get the gun, if you move into town you have 30 days to register whatever you already own. Long guns are exempt.

Where do you live?  It may be different where you are, since I think that Clark county is the only one that does this,  I'm going to check the NRS on it.

Edited to add: I wasn't talking about the CCW and Registration... I was just talking registration.  My CCW doesn't have the serial #'s on it either.  But here in Clark county (the only place in NV that does this, I think) we have to register all our handguns. I'm going to look into this a bit... I had no idea the state constitution said anything about this.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Only Clark county has that blue card registration scheme.  If you mention blue cards to gun owners in the rest of the state most won't know what you are talking about.

Up here in Reno, the joke is that Clark county is almost as bad as Kali (clearly not a joke to you guys in LV) because as that blue card.  Edited to say I know its nowhere near as bad as Kali.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote
Some CCW's issued when the law was passed did contain serial #'s. Now however new CCW's cannot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#18]
NVARshooter,

I live in Fernley NV. You know where that is. Sorry Gunbert it doesn't look like I can't shoot with you either.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
NVARshooter,

I live in Fernley NV. You know where that is. Sorry Gunbert it doesn't look like I can't shoot with you either.
View Quote

Sure, sometimes I head out that way to go shooting.  There is a popular spot near that food plant half way between Reno and Fernley.  Also, there are some spots about 15 minutes East of Fernley near some hot springs that is remote and fun spot to blast away.

I also like to head up towards Pyramid Lake either at the Washoe range of some BLM spots.

I love this state.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's some of what I've found...  I unfortunately cannot find anything that alludes to registration of arms, or the prohibition thereof.  (listen to me, can you tell I've been reading a constitution? [;)]

[b] NEVADA CONSTITUTION, ex.

Sec. 11. Right to keep and bear arms; civil power supreme.

1.  Every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes.  

2.  The military shall be subordinate to the civil power; No standing army shall be maintained by this State in time of peace, and in time of War, no appropriation for a standing army shall be for a longer time than two years.[/b]

That's all I can find, granted I've only done a cursory search.

Link Posted: 5/23/2002 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#22]
AWWW to be young again and stand outside a Smoke Shop in Downtown Carson City with my first shotgun(1973) an have the local Sheriff drive by not even bat a eye......them day's are long gone!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top