Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2001 8:33:41 AM EDT
Anyone in the group had this done to their truck?

Which one do you like best?  Rhino, Line X?

What don't you like about the one you have?

Getting ready to have one done to mine, and would appreciate some user feedback.

Edited for spelling...[:I]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had the Line-X for a little over 2 years now and have no complaints.  It has held up really well to spilt gasoline and many trips to the dump.  The only time the surface got marred was when I helped move a cast iron stove for a friend.  It scratched right through the liner to the bed.  I took it back to Line-X and they repaired it for free and you can not tell the difference.

Stay away from Rhino.  It is a cold application, unlike Line-X, and I have seen them melt in 90+ degree temp. and either lift up from the bed or mold to whatever is in the bed at the time and leave an impression.  I also believe the Rhino allows static electricity to build up - something the Line-X does not.

There is another product out there with the same properties as Line-X but I can't remember the name.  

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used Line X in my last 2 trucks .... great stuff ... I've got a couple of buddies that went with Rhino , here's the biggest differences I'VE SEEN between the 2 : Line X is a smoother surface with finer grain ... it's easier to "push" a heavier load across and it seems harder than Rhino. Rhino in my opinion looks like black cottage cheese sprayed in your truck. It seems to have a softer, less slippery surface. It appaers as though it may be easier to cut a gash in if you push a heavy load across it. It seems to soften up in hotter weather too. I think their both great liners , for me it just came down to appearence ... Line X looks better.        -- Rooster
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#3]
MilesTeg, I disagree with you about Rhino.

I lined the entire floor and sides of my jeep tub with Rhino.  I've had it almost 2 years now and it works great.  Its very easy to clean the mud out of my jeep.  

I voted for Rhino over Line-x because Rhino was a little softer and I liked the texture a little better.   My jeep is black and with no floor covering, it gets extremely hot.   So hot it hurts to touch.  After I had Rhino sprayed, it kept it a little cooler.   I can now drive barefoot. :D  

I had my father get Line-X for his truck bed because like I said above, Rhino is a little softer.  Only one problem.   Have you seen the dumper things you attach to the tailgate?  You roll out a metal woven carpet thing and then you dump dirt/firewood etc onto it.  Then when you are ready to dump it, you just lay down the tailgate and roll the liner/carpet back in.  This dumps the contents out the back.  Works great.  Just doesn't work with any liner.   Line-X is so grippy, it won't let us roll the carpet back in.   PITA with all the firewood we get.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I had Rhino lining sprayed into my uncle's Dodge Dakota back in '92 or '93, then had my Ford Ranger's bed sprayed in '95. Both are still holding up well. My uncle's truck is used on a farm, and I use my truck to haul dirt bikes and the accompanying gear. There's been a slight lightening discoloration of the black finish in both trucks over the years, but so far no major problems. Have only had a few nicks.

Besides the durability, I really like the fact that Rhino linings are fairly thick (1/4-inch, if I remember correctly) and aren't that slick even when wet. Even after a muddy race or washing the bike, I don't have to worry about the loading ramp or tires slipping when I push the bike back up into the bed. Can't say the same about drop-in plastic liners that warp with age and are occasionally seen along the sides of freeways.

I recommend Rhino highly. Have no experience with Line-X. Had both trucks sprayed at Rhino's HQ in San Diego. Granted, it isn't cheap, but it looks like they'll last as long as the trucks. [^]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#5]
wondering about any toxic fumes generated as the carrier evaporates or as the lining cures with a cap on dont feel comfortable letting my dog ride in the back ..what if pups chew on the stuff anybody know how toxic it is? tia
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
wondering about any toxic fumes generated as the carrier evaporates or as the lining cures with a cap on dont feel comfortable letting my dog ride in the back ..what if pups chew on the stuff anybody know how toxic it is? tia
View Quote

Rhino does recommend 24 hours to cure/set, but I think that's just so you give it a chance to harden. Don't know about fumes emitted during cure process. Of course, during application the spray guys are fitted with full suits and masks like painters. After it cures, I think it'd be hard for a dog to chew on it; it'd be like the dog trying to chew the top surface of a ping-pong table (for want of a better analogy). Maybe check with Rhino for a definitive answer to that. [:)]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you concidered one of the do-it-yourself ones like Herculiner?
I recently bought a 1999 F150 and I've decided to do the Herculiner myself. The cost is $99 and  about a days worth of work. I'll be doing it in about 2 weeks.
I've been quoted as much as $400-500 dollars for the sprayed in liners. And if you damage the liner you have to go back to the installer to have them fix it at thier convenience. I've been told fixing the sprayed in liners is more involved than simply spraying in new material. Once they cure/harden the material no longer sticks to itself so when repairing damaged sections they have to strip down to the metal. The one plus in thier favor is that the fix is usually free. Except the time you have to travel and then wait for them to do it. In comparrison the Herculiner material is a snap to repair, you pop open the can and roll on fresh material.
So far everyone I've heard that has done it has had nothing but good results. Honestly, I haven't seen the finished results first hand except in pictures over the internet. I will however post my experiences doing the job in about 2 weeks if anyone is interested.
Except for getting the stuff on your skin theres not much else to worry about. You definitely don't want to get the stuff on your skin because once it hardens it is impossible to remove. Its a situation where the only chemicals that can remove the stuff from your skin are more dangerous to you than the bed lining material.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a couple of links to check out:

www.herculiner.com/

www.f150world.com/herculiner.asp

The second link has video of installation steps.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#10]
WORKED AT ONE OF THOSE PLACES,DO IT ONLY TO A OLD OR DAMAGED TRUCK. THE LINER WILL AGE QUICKER THAN YOUR TRUCK WILL, BIG TIME!
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#11]
i really need a liner, does the hurculiner cover teh whole insice of the bed? i would get a rubber mat but among other things, my dog scratches the hell out of my wheel wells and such.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had the Rhino liner since '94. It has held up to everything I've thrown into it.  No cuts or gouges, and I use it hard hauling rock and shoveling dirt and crap out of it. It has lightened up in color (mine is black) but I really liked the thickness of it. Mine is sprayed up over the top of the bed and down about an inch on the outside. I also had the wheel wells done on the inside of the well and on the outside up about 2" on the bed as well as the rocker panels.

I don't regret getting Rhino!
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I did the Herculiner covering on my ElCamino last summer. It took about half the day with the cleaning and painting. They say the stuff can be sprayed on but I don't think I'd want to learn to spray with that stuff. I paid $99/gal but if you're doing a full size PU, buy some extra quarts. I'm happy with the quality and would do it again.

Fred
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had the Rhino for two years here in Texas.  Summer days frequently in the 100s and lots of sun.  It has faded slightly, but still looks great.  Cleans up good and no cuts or problems.  I like the tackiness that some of the others mentioned... you can throw stuff in the bed and don't have to worry about it sliding around when you drive.   It seems to cut down on vibrations/noise, too.  I will probably do it again on my next truck.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Ditto to what Mojo_Jojo said.  I've had my Rhino lining for about 1 1/2 years now here in Texas.  The truck is parked outside 24/7 and I haven't had any problems at all.  Things stay where you put them and it does clean up easily.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I gagged at the prices for any of these treatments.

I put 1/4" plywood on the bottom of my first new truck.  I was not too gentle with it, either.

When I removed the plywood for good several years later, the floor looked brand new - even the high points in the bed.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Those of you with Rhino liner. If you want the color back just use a litle Armor-all. I'm with ya, I don't know about the heat problem, had mine about a year and still holds up good in 100+ heat out in Phoenix and in Tx.
KenS
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 11:50:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a standard molded plastic bedliner in my 2001 Silverado. I didn't really want it, but the dealer gave it to me free. At first I thought it was lame, but I've grown to like it a lot. it works fine, and I can take it out if I want. Try taking a sprayed-in liner out.[;)]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 2:28:10 AM EDT
[#19]
The main reason I decided against a drop in liner was the number of the things I see on the interstates around Atlanta.  People don't secure them in the bed properly, and they blow out.

Drilling to put screws in to hold the liner in doesn't thrill me.  Having one blow out and cause an accident is no go also.  I have had enough dealings with insurance types already.

The reason I don't consider a DIY installation is the fact I have just completed installing a Fabtech lift kit, ARB bumper, and Warn winch on this truck.  That is enough Do It Yourself to last me for awhile.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got Rhino liner in the bed of my truck and have no problems with it what-so-ever.  

I can definitely tell you that Rhino liner does not melt in 90 degree temps.  We had temps over 100 for days on end last summer and my Rhino Linder showed no signs of melting in any way.  I don't use a cover, so my truck bed is exposed to direct sunlight all day.  

Further, I can tell you that Rhino is extremely durable.  It would take something really heavy and really sharp to damage it much less get through it to the metal.  There is no way in hell an iron stove would cut through Rhino liner regardless of temperature.  

My only complaint with the Rhino liner is that it is very "grippy".  That is a plus becase stuff doesn't slide around as much, but it can be a bear when you're tying to slide something heavy into the truck.

Be sure you find out about how the liner will be applied.  Some places will just spray over every thing.  You want them to remove the bolts for the bed and depending on your tuck the ones to mount you gas tank.  Also the screws that access the tailgate mechinism.  That way if you ever need to have any of these areas worked on, they will not have to cut through the liner to get to the bolts.

Edited to add that the liner does grey over time.  Rhino sells some stuff that is supposed to bring back the black color or you could try Armor All or something if it's that important to you.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#21]
i really need a liner, does the hurculiner cover the whole inside of the bed?
View Quote

It will go wherever you feel like putting it. It goes on similar to paint, you use textured rollers and brushes.

The main reason I decided against a drop in liner was the number of the things I see on the interstates around Atlanta. People don't secure them in the bed properly, and they blow out.

Drilling to put screws in to hold the liner in doesn't thrill me. Having one blow out and cause an accident is no go also. I have had enough dealings with insurance types already.
View Quote

York used to make a bedliner, I forget what it was called, that secured with circular wedges that fit in under the rail. I had one in previous trucks (a Ranger and a 1996 F150) and it worked real nice. It was the one that had grooves up both sides that accepter 2X4s for securing loads from shifting fore and aft.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Try taking a sprayed-in liner out.[;)]
View Quote

Now, why would you want to take out a sprayed in liner? If you want to trade pick-ups I'd want a new liner too.

My Rhino has held up just fine in the sun AND at high altitude where the UV rays in the thin air  can be VERY destructive to vinal or plastic.

But vinal windows and siding don't work too well here in the Rocky Mountains.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top