Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2002 7:08:32 PM EDT
I went in today for an MRI. I did not know that it would make me feel so claustrophobic. They lay you on the bench, put your head in the cradle, and then push you inside the tube that is way to small for adults to fit inside. Long story short, you look straight up at a mirror eight inches above your face that looks into the next room with the techs watching you in the mirror, and you have to stay perfectly still for thirty minutes before they pull you out, inject you with contrasting fluid and put you back inside. It's like being in a coffin. I don't advocate alcohol or drug abuse, but it might help if the techs served up a couple screwdrivers or handed out some valium before putting you in the tube. Has anyone else had this experience?

ARH
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I had an open MRI, since that was the only machine nearby that was available...
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Take heart, there is an "open MRI".  The hardest part for me was keeping my hands extended outside the tube.  The arms get awfully tired.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Normally you will be given a sedative if your request it because they are claustrophobic. I never had an MRI but I have had a CT (CAT scan).
I kept trying to read the little sign posted next to the opening  with my peripheral vision, but it wasn't until I was almost done that I saw the sign. It said "Do not look in this direction. A LASER is pointed at your face." Good to know ,eh?
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#4]
???? What were they looking for?
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I told them I didnt like confinement, they gave me.....hal-something..a little tiny blue wonder...

I took one, fifteen minutes, nothing. They gave me another...I went outside to smoke a cigarette....all of a sudden the leaves were....WOW.....hey the wind is......COOL.....OH CHIT, I am high as hell.....I turned to go back in, and the guy was summoning me, like a ballplayer rounding third.  I was so high I went to sleep, moved and ruined the MRI...

But what a buzz it was
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
???? What were they looking for?
View Quote

The docs are just being cautious.
They get to charge more too.[:)]

ARH
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Somehow I herniated C5 and C7 in my vertibra.  The most excruciating pain I've ever felt!!!

I went for the MRI which was exactly as you described, I guess I'm not claustrophobic -

Please don't call me weird, but I had no problems in the tube.  It was well lighted, music of my choice was pumped in, and there was contact with the "outside world" at all times.

The hardest part for me was holding still for the scan 'cause my neck hurt so much...

Damn expensive though -

Terry
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Of all the phobias I never understood one of being in a safe protected space.  But to each his own.  I could understand a phobia like mine of heights at least if you fall you could get hurt, but I guess that is why they are phobias, unrational fears.

Anyway it's all mental because when your eyes are shut you have nothing but your imagination to know you are in there.

At least the pulsing of the gradients sounded a bit like gun fire. Or did you wear the headphones with musack playing to calm you. The open magnets have much less power. Typically the bore magnets are at least 1T or more. If you had it done on anything less than 1T bore magnet you went with low bidder.  A 1.5T magnet at the center of field is 600times the pull of gravity, so make sure you don't have any ferrous metal bits under your skin or they might get pulled out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had 2 (3?) MRI tests performed in the past.  All were to verify that I had a slipped disc in my back.  I can relate to the size of the tube as I'm a big man.  At least I was able to listen to music while they performed the tests.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Of all the phobias I never understood one of being in a safe protected space.  But to each his own.  I could understand a phobia like mine of heights at least if you fall you could get hurt, but I guess that is why they are phobias, unrational fears.

Anyway it's all mental because when your eyes are shut you have nothing but your imagination to know you are in there.

At least the pulsing of the gradients sounded a bit like gun fire. Or did you wear the headphones with musack playing to calm you. The open magnets have much less power. Typically the bore magnets are at least 1T or more. If you had it done on anything less than 1T bore magnet you went with low bidder.  A 1.5T magnet at the center of field is 600times the pull of gravity, so make sure you don't have any ferrous metal bits under your skin or they might get pulled out.
View Quote

It's not like a safe secure place. It's a cold metal tube making loud as shit noises that sound a lot like sound effects from a low budget sci fi movie. You have an hour to lay perfectly still and think about why you are there.

They gave me the ear plugs. It was so loud they had to come in and touch me to communicate.
Next time I will volunteer for the blue pill.
Might as well have a buzz.

ARH
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I had one a couple of years ago when I was having lower back pain.  Unlike most people, I found the experience sort of relaxing.  They gave me ear plugs, so the noise of the apparatus spinning around me only sounded like a dull thump, thump, thump, thump.  Almost hypnotic.  I almost fell asleep a couple of times.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I told them I didnt like confinement, they gave me.....hal-something..a little tiny blue wonder...
View Quote

Haldol maybe?  Hey, that's for crazy people.  [:D]

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I went in today for an MRI. I did not know that it would make me feel so claustrophobic. They lay you on the bench, put your head in the cradle, and then push you inside the tube that is way to small for adults to fit inside. Long story short, you look straight up at a mirror eight inches above your face that looks into the next room with the techs watching you in the mirror, and you have to stay perfectly still for thirty minutes before they pull you out, inject you with contrasting fluid and put you back inside. It's like being in a coffin. I don't advocate alcohol or drug abuse, but it might help if the techs served up a couple screwdrivers or handed out some valium before putting you in the tube. Has anyone else had this experience?

ARH
View Quote

No. I loved it! Very relaxing to me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Had 3 done with out any problems.  I just pretended I was in a rocket ship traveling to the moon.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#16]
There was nothing spinning around you but a pulsating magnetic field. No mechanical moving parts. The gunfire sound is the coils being pulsed which shifts the field of the magnet to every pixel of your body. Nothing moved but the center of the magnetic field.

The pulsing you felt in your ring is because while the metal was non magnetic and not attracted by the field it was still an electrical conductor and as field of magnetism passes an electrical conductor it induces an electrical current.  Since your ring did not have two conductors insulated from each other the ring was a self short circuit. The current flowing through the ring is referred to as Eddy currents. They go round and round with no place to go. They cause a physical distortion/warping and that is the pulsing/movement you felt in your ring.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I heard that if you close your eyes while your brain is being scanned you see a weird light show.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Last time I forgot to remove my wedding ring, felt some weird sensations.
View Quote

I had something like that happen.  I held my wife's hand when she went through an MRI about a year ago.  I've got three pieces of metal in my hands and a larger piece in one arm.  They didn't feel weird at the time, but afterward, I could feel them throbbing to the rhythm of the machine.  Very strange feeling.  It really made me want to get-out my knife and remove the pieces.  I can take pain, but I just can't make myself try to do that.z
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had an MRI a few times, I think 4 times. I just pretend that I'm a torpedo getting ready to launch out to sea. It's really a lot like a tanning bed, but louder and not as bright...
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#21]
No big deal.  Try a prostate biopsy some time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 3:12:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No. I loved it! Very relaxing to me.
View Quote

I had one two weeks ago for a knee.  I thought it was cool.  bang bang bang  eeeeppp. [other noises]

While mine was just for a knee, they threw you all the way into the tube.  I have no idea on how a fat person can do that.  Probably open MRI for them.

Very relaxing to me too.  I almost fell asleep.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 3:22:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Made me damn glad I carry around a set of ear plugs.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 3:26:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I've had two CT scans and two MRI's for various injuries. The last one being an MRI about three years ago. In all cases I was either in an altered state of consciousness where I don't remember what happened at all or in so much pain that I could really care less what they do to me as long as they make me better.

I'll take an MRI with a smile as the alternative could end up being an exploratory surgery.......
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 3:36:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Haldol maybe?  Hey, that's for crazy people.  [:D]

View Quote

I'm gonna guess Halcion.  Two blue pills would have put you at .50 mgs, the max recommended dosage.  No wonder you were flying. [:D]

Note:  No, I'm not a pharmacist, or a junkie.  My Mom worked at a medical publishing company, Micromedex.  Some of you docs and medics have probably used (or at least heard of) their information systems.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:00:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm big enough that not all the machines in the city will fit, and the machine we used was sort of a "press fit".  

I've done this 3 times, and it reminds me more of being stuffed into a trash can and rolled down hill more than anything else. No vertigo as in the trash can, but you don't have to be still in the trashcan either, so it is a wash.

Still, I preferred it to the chemically-induced cardiac stress test.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:03:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Something I can relate to, I herenated C5-6 about 3 weeks ago, lots of pain.  I was lucky in that they had a cancelation and I was able to have a MRI the same day I walked into the ER  (usually they have more than a week wait around here).  The only problem was that just prior to going in they gave me intravenous delauded (sp?)for the pain, it was the best I had felt in 36 hours and I had trouble not falling asleep.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:44:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I refuse to go in them, I had 4 and I do not fit in the damn machine.......nope, make them for real people, I am 6'6 260 and the limit was 250, I still had to go in
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:00:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Nothing to it.

I've been in MRI scanners, for scans 50/60 times atleast! I just pop in the ear plugs and go to sleep.

I maintain and repair these things as a living and am the un-offical test subject, when they want to try a different protocol or we are doing clinical tests.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top