Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2002 3:01:31 PM EDT
I was watching the Discovery Wings Channel last night, during a "Wings At War episode" on the FW190, they wheeled out an immaculatly preserved/restored example of a D9, the inline engine variant, the "long nosed Dora."

They did not start it, but pushed it out of a hangar with a tug.

The background looked a lot like SouKal mountains, I was thinking it looked like Chino airport except it was too clear, no smog/haze, and I would have seen it there.

There is a museum at Palm Springs, haven't hit that one yet.

I have always loved the looks of this variant, anyone have a clue where it is?

FWIW, they also apparently had a well-restored Zero with a green cowling, if that helps.

Thanks.

EDITED TO SAY: I caught it last night, the CHAMPLIN AIR MUSEUM, MESA AZ.

Looks like they have quite a collection, and vaguely claim that the planes are "flyable, if necessary."

[url]http://www.champlinfighter.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Could this be it?

A visit to Rudy Frasca's museum at Urbana proved to be one of the highlights of the tour as we were given access to all the aircraft in Rudy's
collection including the restoration area where he has a FW190 under build. Missing from the sight was one of his two Spitfire Mk18's but we were
not worried as it was at Oshkosh. His other Mk18 is due to go to an owner in Holland who will complete the restoration and rebuild.

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The only two original Dora-9s I know of are Werke Nr. 601088 at the USAFM Dayton, on loan from NASM, and Werke Nr. 210968 at the Luftwaffe museum in Germany, recovered from Lake Schwerin.

AFAIK, neither is airworthy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, guys.

COULDN'T have been Wright Patt, too many mountains.

Germany, then.  Oh, well.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#5]
You could check the canadian heritage museum......they might know where it is......that plane was just a little before it`s time..............[:)]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 12:29:41 AM EDT
[#6]
The only airworthy one is owned by Champlain Fighter Museum of Mesa, AZ which is soon to move to WA somewhere (why I don't know)

Apparently, the owner is keeping this plane in his collection and it is NOT going to WA.

Bob Silver and I specifically asked about it a couple months ago when we went there.

Don't Tread...
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:38:16 AM EDT
[#7]
There's a Dora 9 at the AF Museum, out in the annex last time I saw it.  They've been working on restoring a Zero for about 5 years now, could be the one you saw.  I'm probably going down there on Friday, I'll keep an eye out for it.  

FWIW:  The "Behind the Scenes" tours are starting up weekly again in June, July and August.  Pretty interesting, you get to see the areas where they make the displays and restore aircraft.  Lots of neat stuff out there.

[url]http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/pa/ce-jan02.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The only airworthy one is owned by Champlain Fighter Museum of Mesa, AZ
View Quote

There aren't any airworthy 190D-9s. Werk Nr. 836017, on the Civilian Registry as N190D at Champlain Fighter Museum is claimed to be a FW 190D-13, but is more likely TA152 Werk Nr. 174013.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the drawings for an older rc fw-190d and ta152(high altitude version) if you are realy a fan. Will sell them for shipping and 20 bucks..pat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top