Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2002 10:16:52 AM EDT
I am not a paranoid person, nor do I wear a tin foil hat and fall for every conspiracy theory.   However, given the latest statements of India's PM and the fact there there are now about one million soldiers ready for battle in the region, I was wondering how many of you were worried and considered the worst-case scenario:  war and nuclear escalation.  

Both countries consider control over Kashmir as vital national security interest, i.e., as realpolitik dictates, something over which they are prepared to go to war.

Again, who is worried?  You may laugh, but I have started gathering non-perishable foods, potassium iodate tablets, and other supplies in case the Nuclear Shizit Hits the Fan.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Not paranoid but have things in order[;)] Ya never know what will happen these days [heavy]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#2]
"India and Pakistan: are you prepared just in case"

yes.

i have laid up a supply of gift certificates for both paki AND indian restaurants.

seriously, i doubt they go nuclear on each other.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think that it might be a good idea to pull our guys back from that area just in case.

I wonder if this will mean a shortage of Kashmir sweaters? [bounce]
View Quote

Nope... all the wool will be sluffing right offa those sheep!
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope, just dumped my water supply, cleaned out most of the food.

I'm moving from Maryland to Pennsylvania tommorrow, and I'll restock then.

Please hold off on the war until I get up there.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nope, just dumped my water supply, cleaned out most of the food.

I'm moving from Maryland to Pennsylvania tommorrow, and I'll restock then.

Please hold off on the war until I get up there.

Thanks.
View Quote
Free at last Free at la................. ahhh ya know the rest [stick]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Well if the US doesn't get involved which it probably will be (don't see why, not our affair) I doubt we'd have much to worry about.  However, the damn UN will of course want to intervene...hopefully the US will say no to using our troops.  Not to worried about them using nukes unless they have them pointed at us as well...

However, I suppose in a way I'm always prepared.  Gotta have an earthquake supply where I'm at.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#7]
As long a Chine stayed out of it...A nuclear war between India and Pakistan could Actualy be in our intrest.

Think of it in the same way, that you would think of setting a cross cut fire to contain a forest fire. the world would have a chance to watch the effects of a full scale nuclear exchange on their T.V. sets for a year or so, thus restoring the Balance of Nuclear Terror.

India would suffer horrible losses but would win, leaving India crippled and Pakistan a smoldering pile of radioactive rubble.

Islam would have to focus on Jihad against the Hindus instead of the West.

As for worrying about getting radiation here in the states, I would hold off on the Iodine drops, you will probably take more radiation, standing in front of your microwave oven with your shirt off, making popcorn to watch the fun on FOX News, Than you would ever take From A Nuclear exchange in that part of Asia (Remember the big Panic over Chernobyl.)

So , guys, Whats the down side here?

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Think of it in the same way, that you would think of setting a cross cut fire to contain a forest fire. the world would have a chance to watch the effects of a full scale nuclear exchange on their T.V. sets for a year or so, thus restoring the Balance of Nuclear Terror.

As for worrying about getting radiation here in the states, I would hold off on the Iodine drops, you will probably take more radiation, standing in front of your microwave oven with your shirt off, making popcorn to watch the fun on FOX News, Than you would ever take From A Nuclear exchange in that part of Asia (Remember the big Panic over Chernoble.)

So , guys, Whats the down side here?

View Quote

I cannot comment on a panic in the US after Chernobyl, but I lived in Munich at the time and prevailing winds brought a lot of radioactive fallout to Bavaria.  There was no panic, but were were told to stay away from things like mushrooms and dairy products for a couple of months and to take iodine.

Even a "small" regional nuclear conflict would far surpass the impact Chernobyl had on Russia and parts of Europe.  Logic tells me that whatever radioactive stuff goes up into the atmosphere must come down somewhere.

That's the danger of a nuclear exchange.  It may be far away from us, but when it comes to radioactive fallout, the big world really becomes a small village.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking that too.  If India hits Pakistan the Muslims would turn their attention to them.  Israel may or may not stay out of it if they truly are allied with India.

The big problem I see now (this just popped in my head) is what will Britain do?  We're allies with them, if they do something to intervene we will more than likely have to help because it may look bad when they've joined us in all our little strifes and we just tell them to piss off when they get involved in something...India may not be a province of Britain now but I bet they are still allies.
And what about Turkey?  What if they get involved?  They're good friends of ours too.  Probably moreso than Israel...

Bloody hell, crap like this is why the US was meant to have temporary alliances...
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]
GO INDIA!
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Again, who is worried?  You may laugh, but I have started gathering non-perishable foods, potassium iodate tablets, and other supplies in case the Nuclear Shizit Hits the Fan.
View Quote

I'm stocking up on slurpies and nachos just in case they create a shortage of 7-11 employees.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#12]

who do ya thinks gonna win? vegas odds?
View Quote

Right about now , China is in a position to attack all their missile sights from the air in the interest of national defense. (fallout will head east).  They have a vested interest in that regard.  I don't know what is going to happen.  India will probably win. However if China forms a relationship with Pakistan, then India might have some problems.  

Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top