Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2002 5:09:36 PM EDT
I was, uh, perusing CNN (forgive me) when they ran a special report on the interim government's policy of total disarmament of the Afghan civilian population.

The disarming is for now voluntary; citizens bring their Kalashnikovs to the town square, where they are registered, and "stored".  Soon, however, the authorities will require full disarmament, and anyone "caught with a firearm will be punished."

I don't like this, personally.  The warlords in Afghanistan who kill small villages for the opium wars and what not should be disarmed, for obvious reasons.  The argument for disarming the populace is Afghanistan is a lawless nation, "where a gun means power."  I believe a gun also means independence, and personal safety.

What do the AR15.com'ers think should be done about the armed Afghans (dangerous blankets)?
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#2]
To your topic question, my answer is no.

If ever there's another country where the non law abiding will keep their guns it is Afghanistan.  What I think will happen is the Afghans will turn in their worst weapon and keep the other five.

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#3]
NO!
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Totally disarming any population is asanine.  That includes our vanquished foes in war.

To clarify - what I mean by "totally disarming" is taking everyone's personal weapons.

If Achmed Camelhuump has a cave full of mines and rocket launchers, well then that needs to be - wait.

Let me think about this a little longer.

Need to ponder this because I wish **I** had a cave full of mines and rocket launchers.

How about this - kill all the bad guys and leave everyone else alone.  Of course, if it turns into a Vietnam type situation where you cna't tell the good guys from the bad guys... awe crap... this is where it gets difficult... somehow make it in their best interest to root out the Taliban and put an end to them.

Till we figure out exactly how to do that, just make sure that the good guys are armed so that they have a chance.

side note - I heard a piece on the radio (NPR) yesterday morning about the epidemic of rapes by soldiers/bandits/militia/assholes in general in Republic of the Congo.  Through the whole piece, I was wondering how brazen these turds would be if their potential victims were carrying AK's.....

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]
It should be interesting to see if anyone can pull off building a nation from this feudal society.  How do you disarm the warlords without asking other to disarm too.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top