Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2002 4:44:43 PM EDT
What do you think?  
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, without refering to the text, I believe that Jesus said it would have been better for Judas had he not been born.  Think that would put him in the "zero" category.  I cannot imaging how he could be thought of as a hero.  But, I am sure there are enlighted minds here who fill me in.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if he was a hero or not, but he was fullfilling a roll as told in the Old Testament.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Crock, I want to hear what the enlightened minds have to say as well!  Thanks for responding!
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Betrayor of the Son of God.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#5]
All part of the game plan...Judas was destined to betray Jesus.

John 13:21 NKJ
When Jesus had said these things, He was troubled in spirit, and testified and said,” Most assuredly, I say to you, one of you will betray me."

John 13:26-27 NKJ
Jesus answered, It is he to whom I shall give a piece of bread when I have dipped it."  And having dipped the bread, He gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.
Now after the piece of bread, Satan entered him.  Then Jesus said to him, "What you do, do quickly."

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]
On one hand, by Judas' betrayal of Jesus, mankind is offered eternal salvation.  

On the other hand, Judas set up the Son of God to suffer a long and agonizing death.

If Judas had not betrayed Jesus, then would another person would have been cast into the role of the betrayer?  I think Judas loved Jesus as much as the other apostles, but God had special plans for Judas to carry out.  I don't think Judas had any idea his actions would lead to the death of Jesus.  In his despair over his actions, Judas kills himself.

I think of Judas as the Lee Harvey Oswald of his time...sort of.  A man with good intentions, but a bit short of good judgment and common sense, caught up in circumstances beyond his control and handled by a master puppeteer.  Neither man gets to go on the record to explain their actions.  Both are vilified and held as the premier actors when in fact they had only a few lines in the play.  

I can't call Judas a hero or a zero.  In fact I can't begin to put a label on him (or Oswald for that matter) and that was the reason for this thread.  I was hoping some of the more enlightened members (You know who you are![:D]) would weigh in with their position, and provide me with another angle of approach on the subject.

I just can't imagine a man with a greater burden to bear then Judas.

To those who responded, Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
John 13:21 NKJ
When Jesus had said these things, He was troubled in spirit, and testified and said,” Most assuredly, I say to you, one of you will betray me."

John 13:26-27 NKJ
Jesus answered, It is he to whom I shall give a piece of bread when I have dipped it." And having dipped the bread, He gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.

I think this says it all. Jesus knew he had to be betrayed, He chose who was going to do it. This makes Judas a hero. Can you imagine, God tells you to betray him. The man you love more than anything.It took enormas faith in Christ, for Judas to do what was asked of him.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All part of the game plan...Judas was destined to betray Jesus.
View Quote

Tonys68136 is Correct, God causes all things to happen for the greater good for those that believe in Him.  Judas betrayal was part of God's plan for mankind's salvation.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
While Judas was one of the disciples, he was still out for himself.  He was also envious of Jesus.  There is no label for what he was or did…If there was a label it would have go into the “predestined” box…God knows the numbers of hairs on our head and He knew us before we were born.  You can also bet that it was known that Judas was going to be the one to betray Jesus.

Edited due to some strange babble that posted???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top