Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/21/2002 1:44:21 PM EDT
I have some buddies from Nevada who come down sometimes for a get together. Usually, they bring their class 3 toys and we'd go to the range and have fun with the guns. Now, we don't shoot FA, but we still like to plink at paper, steel plates or what not.
At the range we shoot at, there's a police range right behind the main range which is on the other side of the mountain. We usually can hear the LEOs firing their MP5's. Sometimes after they are done, some LEOs will come down to the main range and shoot.
There was this one time when we had about a dozen guns out and a cop was walking in between the benches. He stopped at our area to look at what we had. He looked over the M-16 and the Uzi. You can see the recognition in his eyes. He knew what he was looking at. He just asked us some basic questions. He then asked if he could shoot the M-16.
My buddy said sure.
He picked up the gun, pointed it down range, and then flip the selector to semi, then auto. He looked back at us and smiled. He then put the selector to semi and fired a few rounds.
Afterwards, he put the gun on safety, put it down on the bench, thank us and then walked off.
One of the coolest cops I've ever met.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Has anyone been hassled by a LEO at a range?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi John.

I don't remember hearing clanking when you walk, but it's there, all right.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope. If I actually go to the range, everyone there is pretty cool. And if you want to bang away full auto, go right ahead (as long as you're safe and appear to know what you're doing). See people there doing it every time I go there. The range stewards are great people. (This is Ben Avery range outside of Phoenix)
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.
View Quote

Me neither.

I have been hassled (annoyed) by;

Angelas Range officers who are ignorant about military pattern semi autos.

Michigan DNR Range Officers who though I was "scaring" other people (new shooters) on the line by shooting an AK type rifle.

Amature documentary film makers.

Gang bangers practising for their next drive-by.

Curious kids who never saw a "real gun" before.

White trash crooks looking for their neck victims in the National Forrest.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Not really hassled, but..

I had a cop ask me if I put the flash suppressor on my AR15.  He also asked if I knew where he could get an authentic scope for an 1903A3.  He did not really know much about guns, but he was just asking questions.  Later in the day I heard him tell these other guys he had 4 pistols at home he could not shoot because they had bullets stuck in the barrels.

The 2nd time there was a group of us, and 4 cop cars came out to investigate a report of machine gun fire.  This was on private property and the owner told them that we had no full-autos, so they left without even looking at what we had.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The last time I had a cop come to my range was when I was helping teach an IPSC course.

We had a few race guns and were showing the students just how fast we could get them to cycle.

Welllllll

It seems one of our neighbours ( who we have had trouble with in the past) called the cops and said that she thought we were shooting Full Autos (illegal in Canada).

A Provincial Cop was sent out to take a look.

We gave him a tour of the place and showed him our new ranges ( we just finished the indoor one and are almost finished the outdoor ones).....He took a few shots with one of the race guns ( he had never shot one before.)

Then he left...

The following weekend he was back.......to pick up a membership application!!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#8]
The outdoor range I usually go to is RUN BY THE COPS.  The Dekalb County, Georgia range was originally built by the Parks and Rec dept, at the behest of the county 4H club, so when the police took it over some yrs ago, they had to leave it open to the public as well.  Range Officers are all Dekalb police, but they're also shooters, and don't hassle us at all. Best part is, they bring county prisoners out to change the targets, so you don't even have to leave your firing point.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The outdoor range I usually go to is RUN BY THE COPS.  Best part is, they bring county prisoners out to change the targets, so you don't even have to leave your firing point.  [:D]
View Quote

You must be jokeing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been hassled by a leo at the range. At the State Gamelands range up by Lake Noximixon a park ranger came and collected everone's IDs and then gave us all a speech about the 3 round limit. He didn't give us tickets though. I think he didn't becuase he didn't have enough tickets for everyone there LOL.

I hate that range. The rangers come all the time becuase the locals call the cops.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#11]
AR15fan:  I have also had problems with the Michigan DNR.  I was not allowed to shoot at a range with my AR 15 because I had a 30 rd mag and it was single shot only. I even offered to just load one round at a time per their rules but was told that 30 rd mags are illegal in michigan and I could not bring the gun back until I purchased a "legal" 10 or 5 round mag.  Haven't been back since!

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#12]
One Sunday at the range my cousin and I were shooting our AR's when a couple of agents decided they would stand behind us and watch as we shot.

When the walked up one said to the other, here's a couple AR's, and they just stared at us for over an hour.

This was in CA after the year 2000 ban.  They did not ask us for proof of registration, which I must now carry, although at the time was not yet required as there was a grace period, but they just tried to intimidate us and possible draw a reaction.

When I discussed this with my governmeent friend he surmised they were ATF.  Imagine they get paid for harrassing tax paying citezens.  And by the way, I don't look anytrhing like your typical drive by pulling thug.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Only once by an idiot Arkansas "cop" who looked after the range...some sort of cop wannabee security dumbass there who had to come & check my permit to shoot on the range...he drilled me with some questions, looked me over, gave me a short lecture & left.  He never said a word to any of the caucasian friends I came in with...didn't ask to see their permits or firearms.

Probably the Klan leader for the area I would say.

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Never.
Once the county sherrif drove in with some SUV or other, got out, had a look around, nodded, and left. Occasionally there will be cops out there shooting, and I usually let them shoot my P-38, so they can feel like [i]real[/i] cops for half an hour ;)
The closest thing to a cop giving me the hairy eyeball was when I wanted to see how fast I can pull the trigger on my Kel-Tec P11. Sounded like a Gatling, so he came over to have a look at my little innocent pistol :)
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Have I been hassled?

A few years ago I went to a local machinegun shoot at a public range.  We rented out the entire range for the day and had 20-30 shooters.  We were very careful to call the local sheriff and let him know about the event, just so there wouldn't be any misunderstandings or unfortunate mistakes (the public range is right behind a school).  Sure enough, about 2pm a cop car pulls up and the sheriff gets out.  Oddly enough, he's not in uniform - wearing jeans, a T-shirt and a baseball cap.  We called a cease fire so we could figure out what he was doing there and what we had done wrong (we were assuming he came to tell us about noise complaints or to stop with the tracers which were starting brush fires).   He says "Nah, I just finished for the day and wanted to see if I could get in on the fun for a bit."   "Anybody got one I could borrow or rent?"

Well 20-30 guys, each with a bunch of machineguns starts pulling weapons out left and right to loan the sheriff.  He accepts my HK51 first, dumps 20rds, and says "Damn, thats a handful!".  He goes down the line and shoots a few more guns - enought to get that ear to ear "I -just-shot-a-machinegun" grin, thanks us all and goes on his way.

Hassled?  Hell no.  When it comes to guns, some cops are just as curious and progun as any of us here.  

(Of course, the fact that we had more firepower there than any police dept. within 100-150 miles probably didn't hurt either.)
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#16]
YES. Deputy Sheriff, complete with gun drawn,  TWICE in the same day claiming we had "full auto AK47's, 7.62x39, brrrraaaap, brrrraaaap". Threatened to confiscate all of the guns for "evidence".
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I usually just get hassled by the asshole range officers.  One in Maryland, especially, was a total prick.  I don't know if he was a cop when not annoying people on the range or not;  I doubt he would have been able to pass even the most rudimentary screening, though. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I am suprized that your buddy would even take anything into CA.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Never by the police,  but by just about every wild eyed idiot that has ever found his way onto a range. Once had some "Expert" scream at me for firing handloaded softpoints in a Garand. (He became so agitated I seriously thught I'd have to wrestle him down.) Add to that the goobers with a 90$ sks and 400$ of add-on's that just HAVE to tell you in detail how their weapon is so much better than your (fill in the blank).  Last but not least there is the SOB that shot his  folded AK sideways down the firing line and hit my Sako .270 right through the wrist of the stock.  I think I'd better stop and take my blood pressure medication now,,,,
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 12:21:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We were very careful to call the local sheriff and let him know about the event, just so there wouldn't be any misunderstandings or unfortunate mistakes

He says "Nah, I just finished for the day and wanted to see if I could get in on the fun for a bit."   "Anybody got one I could borrow or rent?"

Hassled?  Hell no.  When it comes to guns, some cops are just as curious and progun as any of us here.  

(Of course, the fact that we had more firepower there than any police dept. within 100-150 miles probably didn't hurt either.)
View Quote

We used to have MG shoots once or twice a year in the area, haven't heard of any recently tho'. The dayshifters would all say that the would never see the Lt. that day.........He would always assign himself to "monitor" the MG shoots.

Just before he retired he brought in his WWII German 8mm carbine, nomenclature escapes me right now, showing of the latest addition to his collection.

I'm surprised when I start talking to other LEO's how many of them have MG's. (I mean privately owned) It's a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I usually just get hassled by the asshole range officers.  One in Maryland, especially, was a total prick.  I don't know if he was a cop when not annoying people on the range or not;  I doubt he would have been able to pass even the most rudimentary screening, though. [:D]
View Quote

Which range in Maryland? I may have unfortunately met this moron.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 1:02:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Philly  Gun man,

I assume the "You must be joking" comment was about the prisoners changing the targets.  NO, I WAS NOT JOKING. County jail prisoners down here are pretty much all in for non violent crimes; DUI, pot possesion, etc. and are used for street cleanup, and other chores of that sort, one of which is going out to the range and changing targets. Easy detail for them; better than picking up beer cans off the highway, and makes it easy on us fat old shooters [:D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 1:38:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I've never been hassled by any leo's at the range but the range officers have treated me like I was a total dumbass at times.  

I arrested one of the range officers at the place I do the majority of my shooting at.  I kinda felt bad but I arrested him for DWI and he blew like a 0.18 and he had his pistol on him.  I saw him like two weeks later at the range and he said hi and was friendly.  He was a good guy and knew he had screwed up.    
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 2:00:43 AM EDT
[#24]
One Sunday I was out shooting with some friends. I was relaxing by my car and I spot the local cop.I was pulling his leg asking if he was waiting to shoot and he said no. I introduce myself as being retired and he asks me if I knew if anyone was shooting full auto. I say no and then say this is a class III state. He says yeah but someone in one of the developments complained so they drive down and check. Kills some time.

These houses must`ve been sold on a Tuesday because on Sunday it sounds like WWIII so you know this range is going to have problems. But I digress.

Then he tells me the town had an ordnance that limited full auto to one day a week. I thought that was kind of arbitrary but then he tells me they never decided what day!

With that he drives down to the office. No sooner does he do that when a guy opens up with a select fire 16. The cop hangs around the office for about 15 minutes (fresh coffee?) and leaves.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 2:08:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I've been "questioned" by SWAT officers at the Angeles range.

At first it was clear they were trying to estabilish if what I was shooting was legal, because they just caught a gang member with an SKS like mine. They asked whether it was an assault weapon that fired "cop killer" bullets. I corrected them, informed them that the rifle could be purchased anywhere, legally, and that cops are not immune to bullets regardless of what rifle they are fired from. Then they jokingly egged me on to shoot a balloon that was floating over the range [with my SKS]. Yea :rolleyes:
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:51:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The outdoor range I usually go to is RUN BY THE COPS.  Best part is, they bring county prisoners out to change the targets, so you don't even have to leave your firing point.  [:D]
View Quote

You must be jokeing.
View Quote

Nope. Same way at the local county PPC range, which is open to the public. Inmates pick up the brass and change targets.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Last but not least there is the SOB that shot his  folded AK sideways down the firing line and hit my Sako .270 right through the wrist of the stock.
View Quote

That man should be banned from the range.
Did he pay damages?
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I shoot at an LEO training area that is open to the public so at first I was harassed somewhat by the people there.  They have gotten use to seeing me out there now and all I do is basic target shooting so they don't care.  I would like to do some bump firing  but I imagine they would not care for that and I dont want to get banned.  
Bill3508
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#31]
only once, sort of. an overweight dnr buzzcut glared at me and my ar15 for about 20 minutes, till some friends with ak's and sks' arrived, at which point he glared at all of us.

i think he was ticked because we were better armed than he was. i did my best to ignore him, and when another officer expressed interest, i let him shoot my ar.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I was once duct taped to a shooting bench and repeatedly sodomized by 1 ATF agent, 2 LA County cops and 1 Deputy Sheriff for firing a DPMS pump AR-15 that I had converted to semi-auto.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Don't know if he was banned from the range,  I never went back (public range in Manor)  I wised up and joined a club because of these sorts of people.  He didn't pay for the stock,  the thing was worth more than his car. (It had ivory diamonds inlaid in the stock). However, he went to jail. ( reckless endangerment and warrant for probation violations) Only the third time I have ever made an off-duty arrest. It's been 10 years and my blood pressure still rises when I pick up that .270.  SOB pulled the trigger while trying to get the magazine out,  weapon on the table.  Sent a round across 5 benches, through some guy's plastic ammo boxes and into my rifle through the hardcase.  Tried to blame it on the rifle being defective, then he tried to run.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was once duct taped to a shooting bench and repeatedly sodomized by 1 ATF agent, 2 LA County cops and 1 Deputy Sheriff for firing a DPMS pump AR-15 that I had converted to semi-auto.
View Quote

I dont think that was the ATF or the LAPD.Sounds more like the "Pink Pistol Patrol"!
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm never going to PA. Looks like there's a bunch of homo's out there.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Hey, watch it Kalifornia boy!  [:)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No.
View Quote

Me neither.

I have been hassled (annoyed) by;

Angelas Range officers who are ignorant about military pattern semi autos.

Michigan DNR Range Officers who though I was "scaring" other people (new shooters) on the line by shooting an AK type rifle.

Amature documentary film makers.

Gang bangers practising for their next drive-by.

Curious kids who never saw a "real gun" before.

White trash crooks looking for their neck victims in the National Forrest.
View Quote

Michigan DNR ranges are some of the worst I've ever been to.  When I left in '94, the Rose Lake range (East Lansing) was the only one in the range where you could fire a handgun with a loaded magazine.  Even there, you had a DNR "cop" wanting to give you grief over every little thing.  Everywhere else is hand-load the chamber.

Here in Indiana, the only grief I ever get is from the DNR employees trying to exercise some control before they crumble to dust.

I've always said that membership in a PRIVATE range is a must, as public ranges are disappearing every day.  At least Indiana has range protection laws.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hey, watch it Kalifornia boy!  [:)]
View Quote

LOL!!!! Talk to Jurgen. It sounded like he enjoyed his butt raping. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Please allow me to speak for all residents of Pennsylvania (except Jurgen).

We do not enjoy butt raping here.  As a matter of fact, PA residents in general find even thinking of it to be painful.  Any butt raping, jack-booted thugs who read this should know that we don't want you in PA.

BTW, we are going to subdue Jurgen and send him as a gift to the butt rapists in Ohio, because they don't have CCW permits.  [:)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted: I was once duct taped to a shooting bench and repeatedly sodomized by 1 ATF agent, 2 LA County cops and 1 Deputy Sheriff for firing a DPMS pump AR-15 that I had converted to semi-auto.
View Quote

Only once?  Dude, that's my favorite range!

Lately I find myself sawing barrels off shotguns just to get dates.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#41]
My buddy and I were doing some shooting on our clubs 100 yard rifle range and a local cop stopped by to shoot the breeze he was in uniform and in a police cruiser. The police pistol bay is two bays down from our rifle range. Kinda looked at our AR's my buddy has a post ban 20 inch H-bar with a telestock on it. The cop asked if the rifle came like that and he said no I added it. The cop talk for a few minutes and asked if we were shooting in the High Power match and asked if he could shoot he M1A scout rifle in. I told him the rules were pretty layed back. 2 weeks later I saw him at the match.

I think alot of cops enjoy talking and shooting guns. Even carpenters like talking about tools.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#42]
BY LEO'S ?...... NEVER

[blue]BY moronic, dipshit, holier than thou people claiming to be range officers or god like board members?[/blue] [b].....Constantly.[/b]

The private club I belong to is [red]HEAVY[/red] into IMSHA plate shooting. Anyone that isn't is basically looked down upon.

They especially hassle me when I bring my nephews and nieces out.
God forbid I try to introduce a few youngins' to shooting with anything other than a TC contender.

Nothing wrecks a fun good natured outing faster than some prick insisting  that we [b]must[/b]  shoot  our [B]handguns[/b] at targets  no less than 50+ yards away

For those interested the range im referring to is the [b] South Kent sportsmans club located in Door Michigan.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
When I left in '94, the Rose Lake range (East Lansing) was the only one in the range where you could fire a handgun with a loaded magazine.  Even there, you had a DNR "cop" wanting to give you grief over every little thing.  Everywhere else is hand-load the chamber.
View Quote

Rose Lake is horrible now. Back around the late 80's early 90's you could walk in even when the range was "closed" and have the place to yourself. I used to shoot there at least once a month.

Since they "improved" the range it sucks. I wont go there again, ever.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Then he tells me the town had an ordnance that limited full auto to one day a week. I thought that was kind of arbitrary but then he tells me they never decided what day!

View Quote

By state law local municipalities can not write laws about guns.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I was not allowed to shoot at a range with my AR 15 because I had a 30 rd mag and it was single shot only.

Keving67
View Quote

Was that at the Island Lake Range?
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:20:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Simple solution. Buy a piece of property out in the middle of nowhere. If you have neighbors, stand nude in the rain and they will think you are nuts and leave you alone. Once in awhile, stand next to the road and wave at everyone. and pretty soon word is out, YOU ARE NUTS!!!!
People will steer clear of you.Works for me!
[beer]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Simple solution. Buy a piece of property out in the middle of nowhere. If you have neighbors, stand nude in the rain and they will think you are nuts and leave you alone. Once in awhile, stand next to the road and wave at everyone. and pretty soon word is out, YOU ARE NUTS!!!!
People will steer clear of you.Works for me!
[beer]
View Quote

"See you're nuts" or "See your nuts"--works on so many levels here.  Unfortunately, with my gut no-one would see my nuts and the general effect would not be as effective.

(edited fer spellin')
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Municipalities cannot control the ownership of guns, but they can control ranges and the use of firemarms within their jursidiction.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Municipalities cannot control the ownership of guns, but they can control ranges and the use of firemarms within their jursidiction.
View Quote

Not in Pennsylvania they can't.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I get hassled by the LEO next door every time I buy something new because he wants to check it out.  Seriously, he believe EVERYONE who is not a convicted felon should own a gun and know how to use it.  And he knows that if the SHTF, I'm better off in the firepower area than he is.

When I explained to him about the 1994 Crime Bill and the whole pre-ban/post-ban scenario, he exclaimed "What a bunch of horse shit!"

God Bless Texas
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top