Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2002 1:38:55 AM EDT
And what happens when they do?

Do we lose more of our freedoms over fear of bombings?

What about profiling of Arab peoples and outright hatred by U.S. citizens?

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 1:57:04 AM EDT
[#1]
[b]And what happens when they do?[/b]

I'm thinking gun sales will go up, though it's unlikely a gun would help to protect you from such an outrage.

[b]Do we lose more of our freedoms over fear of bombings?[/b]

It's quite possible. We must be vigilant.

[b]What about profiling of Arab peoples and outright hatred by U.S. citizens?[/b]

Nah. Let's just stay with the current system of padding down elderly black men, Japanese tourists, congressmen with distinguished war records (funny!), and little kids, while suspicious looking middle-easterners walk right by.  The Arab American civil rights groups tell us it's the most effective way of preventing terrorism.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 2:40:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 2:49:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh, it was in the back of my mind, but this is a 'G' audience. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 3:47:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 3:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 4:02:05 AM EDT
[#6]
They probably will attempt something like that here sooner or later. I do have some reservations about Al Qaeda resorting to such tactics as strapping bombs to themselves though. Their entire history of attacks seems to suggest they like to do "big" events when it comes to attacking Americans....the embassies, the USS Cole and 9/11. Just killing a few people with a suicide bomber just doesn't sound like their style. Although if they join forces with Hezbollah or something, it could happen. Also this could be to throw us off while they go after something much more strategic.

Needless to say, I will be watchful and prepared. If I see an arab man in my area, I will automatically suspect something isn't right....there are none around here! Be prepared to alert the authorities fast...and if worse comes to worse, I will have my sidearm with me at all times, and maybe a little back-up in the trunk. Although I admit that a gun wouldn't help much with a suicide bomber. Perhaps you could catch them trying to detonate one and open up on them beforehand though. But they could also try to do some shootings like we have seen in Israel. That we could do something about.

Needless to say, be prepared for anything. If you see something out of place, call and report it. Trust your instincts, they are usually correct. But on the other hand, don't get trigger happy. I would sure as hell hate having to explain to authorities why I had just shot and unarmed man of middle eastern descent...because I had mistakenly thought he was trying to denonate a bomb.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They probably will attempt something like that here sooner or later. I do have some reservations about Al Qaeda resorting to such tactics as strapping bombs to themselves though. Their entire history of attacks seems to suggest they like to do "big" events when it comes to attacking Americans....the embassies, the USS Cole and 9/11. Just killing a few people with a suicide bomber just doesn't sound like their style. Although if they join forces with Hezbollah or something, it could happen. Also this could be to throw us off while they go after something much more strategic.
View Quote

Also consider that any Islamic terrorists operating in the US are likely to be educated and Westernized, and that represents a relatively high investment. I don't think Al Qaeda is going to 'waste' that investment in a 'small' bombing. I put 'small' in quotations because I don't mean size literally, rather the priority of the target. I have no doubt that they would use bombs strapped on their bodies if they could blow up major government officials . . .
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#8]
What about restrictions on possible bomb making components here in the U.S.?

Example:
Bomb making in Palestine is most likely done in secure areas with no fear of government intervention. However, terrorists trying to assemble bombs in America will have a harder time buying components once the authorities here are on alert. Does that sound like our likely response to this threat?
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you aware how easy it is make an explosive device?  Many common household items would have to be restricted.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Example:
Bomb making in Palestine is most likely done in secure areas with no fear of government intervention. However, terrorists trying to assemble bombs in America will have a harder time buying components once the authorities here are on alert. Does that sound like our likely response to this threat?
View Quote

It wouldn't be so easy.

If you started a thread that asked how to make explosives/bombs with common materials here or on other forums, you'd get pages and pages of answers.  Here it'd probably get closed pretty quick, but you get the idea.

If you can buy Drano and a gallon of gasoline you have the makings of a crude bomb.  Heck, can you imagine a large crowded service station and some idiot with a cigar lighter...

It'd be all too easy.  Stay vigilant.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Alright, I am aware how easy it is to make crude explosives, what we're talking about are the type currently used in Israel and are made of plastic explosives and use electronic detonation devices. A suicide bomber, in my understanding, is armed with a bomb concealed under clothing usually around the waist and has a button that is activated which blows the whole thing.

So, do you want to consider kithen bombs from the Anarchist's Handbook, or pipe bombs made with smokeless pistol powder, or are you willing to give creedence to the idea that terrorists will have a more sophisticated device with a remote detonation device as currently used in the Middle East?

I think if Israel could have a agency like the FBI or the ATF working in the field in Palestinian areas there would be better security. But since they don't, suicide bombers are able to construct and carry out terrorist acts undetected. In the U.S. there will be stepped up security in the purchase of possible bomb making items like explosive materials and certain electronics. Resorting to crude bombs may be a tactic, but will limit the ability of bombers to operate in crowded public areas.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#12]
IIRC, it's only been very recently that the suicide bombers in Israel have been using high-tech explosives like C4 and semtec recently.  Before that, they relied on more crude explosives.  I read this in the context of greater deaths in recent explosions.  I don't know that much about this area, but that's what I recall.

And I also believe that some suicide bombers have been shot by Israelis carrying concealed pistols.  I know that some of the suicide firearm attacks have been prevented or minimized due to actions of Israelis with CCW's.

I think that a suicide bomber here would be less about immediate effect (i.e., victims) and more about letting everyone know that they're here and we don't know when and where they'll strike next.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#13]
theyre here (or were) already. those fellows on the airplanes on 9/11 were suicide bombers.
question is, how many more are here, and what's their next target. so far they seem to like symbolic targets representative of american military(pentagon), govt (capitol/white house?) and business institutions (WTC). casualties are an added benefit, not the primary objective.

the targets they've hit before were visible and symbolic. when they decide it's time to make john q public look nervously over his shoulder they'll go for infrastructure.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
shooter, you forgot to include large breasted, jiggly model-esq females.
View Quote

I volunteer to pat down these "suspicious" persons...[;D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Post from punkatomic -
I think if Israel could have a agency like the FBI or the ATF working in the field in Palestinian areas there would be better security. But since they don't, suicide bombers are able to construct and carry out terrorist acts undetected.
View Quote

I think that it's safe to say that Israel does in fact have folks underground in the West Bank and in Gaza.

The recent bombing in Netanya was preceded by a warning to the police that a suicide bomber was on the way. Unfortunately, the warning came too late.

For every successful suicide bombing there are a least ten that don't make it out of the West Bank.

Several Palestinians have been arrested in the past several weeks for preparing to carry out a terrorist attack based upon confidential information.

Maybe from a brother who didn't want to see his sister scattered across some parking lot, simply to appease their parent's desire for fame, paradise, and relative riches.

But there are indications that Israel does have some of their people in place.

Let's not forget the gruesome lynchings of more than a dozen 'Israeli collaborators' during Operation Defensive Shield recently.

Some of those men were bound to be Israeli agents.

Eric The(Serious)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, do you want to consider kithen bombs from
View Quote

for a second there, i thought you said [b]KITTEN[/b] bombs!
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Eric the Hun, after I posted that I realized that the Israeli's, in fact, do have intelligence in the West Bank and Gaza, but I do believe terrorism is to a large degree state sponsored and the source of financing and supplying material for bomb-making is beyond the reach of the Israeli's. The successful suicide bomber is supported by organized state sponsored groups and can go undetected in many cases. These terrorists will have to operate without cover and may be easier to find. At least I really hope so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top