Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2002 7:46:26 PM EDT
I would like to buy a "Medic Bag" that has the necessary dressings, equipment, etc to be able to help my family and a few others in the event of a serious terrorist incident.

I'm trying to create a Medical SHTF kit and would like to know if anybody on this board knows where I could purchase one.  And no, I'm not talking about those cheap ass plastic kits with a few band-aids and some tylenol.

I have a medical background, so I am familiar with how to use standard medical instumentation.

Thanks for your help.

Michigander in Maryland
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.galls.com[/url]

They have medic bags and supplies.  However, they are not the cheapest company around. Just the only one I could think of off the top of my head.

medcop
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks MedCop.  Any more sources for comparison?
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Check on Ebay.  They occasionally have some medical supplies (both cheap and expensive instruments).  

I just bought a "Lot" of dressing change supplies--gauze, sponges, iodoform gauze, etc. for about 15 bucks shipped, and a set of instruments for suturing (Paki- made, so they won't be up to gold handled instument standards, but might work).  You can get sutures at auction also for a fair price.

AFARR
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have several catalogues at work. I'll post the contact info tomorrow and you can browse to your heart's content. Some of them get pretty complete in what they sell. (minus prescription drugs of course, but including single dose over the counter stuff)

-legrue
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 12:14:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 2:13:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with the medic bags from Gall's. Since you are worried about a terrorist threat....stock heavy in bandages, gauze, trauma and battle dressings. This will be needed for shrapnel and bullet wounds. Also keep something in it to fashion a dressing for sucking chest wounds. Plastic wrap and tape will usually suffice here. Also burn creme could be handy. Keep sterile saline to flush eyes and wounds with and plenty of dressings for eyes. And if you are worried about a nuclear threat you may want to consider buying some potassium iodate tablets to help combat the entry of dangerous iodine radiation into the the thyroid gland. This can be bought for $22 per bottle at [url]www.baproducts.com/ki.htm[/url]. Hope this was helpful.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:52:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I use these sources for first aid supplies:

Lab Safety Supply: 1 800-356-0783  www.labsafety.com

Industrial Medical Supply: 1 800-688-3720  www.IndMed.com

goodluck,

legrue

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:01:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys!  I appreciate everyones help in this.

I feel we Americans need to stick together.  

Assist your own first, but do assist others.  

Nothing would make me happier than to deny some piece-of-shit terrorist another American victim.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use these sources for first aid supplies:

Lab Safety Supply: 1 800-356-0783  www.labsafety.com

Industrial Medical Supply: 1 800-688-3720  www.IndMed.com

goodluck,

legrue

View Quote

I am a former paramedic and I can tell you your best bet would be to make your own kit from supplies you purchase from the above contacts. The kits from Galls are pretty and all but they are not stocked the way you need them to be and they are overpriced. I would suggest that you get yourself a hip-roof box and stock it with the following:
24+ 4x4 bandages
3 SAM splints
2+ of 2", 4", & 6" roller bandages
2+ trauma dressings
4+ ABD pads
6+ triangular bandages
6+ rolls of 2" medical tape
6+ instant ice packs
4+ instant heat packs

plus any other items may want

hope this helps
Jake
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Check out www.dixieems.com/home.asp . I've bought from them, good service, decent prices, especially the generic brand stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top