Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2002 6:28:35 PM EDT
Was thinking of buying some HID's for my E430. bekkers has the hella factory assemblies Xenon headlights for $995 with the 4800 bulbs. anyone have HID's or have Xenon lights on their car and could tell me if it is really worth the money. They look really cool at night anyway!

Stinger
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, and they really blind the people driving in the other direction, especially the new M class Mercedes.

Mr_Whiskaz
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#3]
This shows the difference between "good brights" and Bi-Xenon brights:

[img]http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/InternetImages/automotive/bixenon.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 4:14:52 AM EDT
[#4]
A couple co-workers have HID's on their Lexus, and they are too cool.  One guy did the retrofit to his LS400, and he doesn't regret spending the extra $$$$.  

I would definitely fork out the cash if it was available for my car.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 4:57:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Those who know me, know I'm not in favor of banning anything, drugs, 30mm cannons, grenades, etc.  _Except_ for those infernal things, almost every goldarn day I'm blinded while driving home because of someone with those Xenon headlights.

It'd be one thing if they were only used as high beams, but to oncoming traffic they're extremely inconsiderate and dangerous.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It'd be one thing if they were only used as high beams, but to oncoming traffic they're extremely inconsiderate and dangerous.
View Quote

They take some getting used to. As long as they have their novelty factor, you will stare curiously right into them and get blinded, of course. Just make a conscious effort to concentrate on the road in front of you as you would normally and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:28:55 AM EDT
[#7]
If HID's are installed and adjusted properly, they are great.  They also do not blind oncoming traffic if adjusted correctly.  The big problem is with all the ricers out there who pimp up their cars with them and don't adjust them properly.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Those who know me, know I'm not in favor of banning anything, drugs, 30mm cannons, grenades, etc.  _Except_ for those infernal things, almost every goldarn day I'm blinded while driving home because of someone with those Xenon headlights.

View Quote

If adjusted properly they are actually easier on oncoming traffic than regular headlights.  Aftermarket lights are almost always NOT adjusted properly.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:42:10 AM EDT
[#9]
HIDs are actully illegal in the USA but noone seems to really care. what makes them so is they dont put out enought light across the spectrum.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:47:09 AM EDT
[#10]
You're going to spend a thousand bucks just to have cool headlights?  

Thorstein Veblen would be proud. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:48:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Source for that?
Even the all-US made BMWs (Z and X series) and Mercedes (ML and some SLK) have them, what makes you think they'd be installing illegal headlights?
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:49:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought a new car last fall with these & I'm surprised at the difference it makes at night.
 I love it!  Mine are just the low beams not bi-xenon but that's what you use most of the time anyway.

If you've got the $$ go ahead & do it.

OR go test drive a new one & decide for yourself.

edited to add, Nova what is your source ??

I've  Never read that anywhere ?
If it's illegal then why are all the manufacturers making them ????

My Acura was built here in the states & it's got them.  
Heck you can even get them on new Nissans!
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought a new car last fall with these & I'm surprised at the difference it makes at night.
 I love it!  Mine are just the low beams not bi-xenon but that's what you use most of the time anyway.

If you've got the $$ go ahead & do it.

OR go test drive a new one & decide for yourself.
View Quote

HID/Xenon is not something I would have ordered on a car.  But, I bought my wife a new car last Fall which has them (Optional, but were on the car which was coming in that was equipped exactly as she wanted it in every other way).  They're great, and I would order them in the future.  This car has self leveling on those lights, eliminating the problem of blinding oncoming drivers.)
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm not talking about the ricers, I'm talking about BMW 7-series and E or S class Mercedes (And the headlights are properly installed on those I would presume).  

I don't look directly at them, but the glare in the corner of my eye is as bad as a halogen high beam.  And it's not a 'novelty' when they've been around for a couple of years in decent numbers.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#15]
My main reason for wanting a pair is the better visibility they provide. But the looking cool part is fine also. Thanks for all the responses.

Stinger
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Source for that?
Even the all-US made BMWs (Z and X series) and Mercedes (ML and some SLK) have them, what makes you think they'd be installing illegal headlights?
View Quote

read it in popular science some 2 years ago. they are only illegale by the spectrum regulation. this is not enforced however. you can see yellow lights from a further distance then the blues, you only notice the blues because they are different from most on the road. they compensate for the limited spectrum by pumping out more light, i think that is what lets them get by the feds. this is 2 year old data, so current ones may be better. I dont have the mag anymore either so i cant give a month/year.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Addressing the legality issue, I was in an auto parts store a couple of years ago and asked if they had xenons for my car.
I was told they were only legal for cars that originally came equiped with them from the factory.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#18]
HID lights are very effective! Highly recommend that you buy a NEW car with them. Don't retro fit.

Reason: Current US regulations require that the the HID head light systems be [b]self leveling[/b]. As to not blind on comming traffic. This is where the legal confusion comes in. This is also why a [b]proper[/b] retro fit is so damn exensive.

Currently law enforcement is not actively enforcing the regulations. But there is a push to do so (damn ricers).

Europe is in the process of mandating HID's on new vehicles. They do provide a better view at night, big safety factor.

I don't currently have the links for regulations, but found them when researching HID's 6 months ago.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Nevermind that you're going to pay $995 for headlights. No, nevermind that. What really cracks me up is you're going to pay $995 for headlights that instantly associate you (in the minds of millions of people) with rice rockets and the kinds of people (morons) who drive them. Wow.

Spend the money on a non-ass sound system, or GPS navigation.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#20]
[url]http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_en/ProductsServices/ForAutomotiveIndustry/VehicleLighting/Headlamps/Headlamps.jsp[/url]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nevermind that you're going to pay $995 for headlights. No, nevermind that. What really cracks me up is you're going to pay $995 for headlights that instantly associate you (in the minds of millions of people) with rice rockets and the kinds of people (morons) who drive them. Wow.  
View Quote

A Mercedes ? BMW ? Audi ? Porsche ?
Those are "Rice" ???????

Even calling a Lexus, Infiniti or Acura "rice" is a stretch.

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#23]
What is a RICE ROCKET?
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:17:29 AM EDT
[#24]
A GRAND for headlights??? A GRAND? Did I read that right?

Good Lord, I'm older than I thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top