Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/9/2011 8:06:18 PM EDT
Here's some before and after pics of a fully completed unit. We're finishing up the rest within the next week or so.

In progress pics are throughout the thread.

Shower and bathroom.

Bedroom. (I need a higher door threshold)

Washer dryer room.

Living room and fire place.

Kitchen.

Exterior. (now has new lights and a gate)

Landing for the stairs.

View from a top unit.

Quick back ground information. My Mom and step Dad have been buying  properties for retirement income and investments for 3-4 years. I've been helping out when I can and have learned a LOT over the last year from the manager/handy man. This time last year I had never laid a tile, hung dry wall or, sweat copper. I'm finally to the point that I don't constantly need someone always over my shoulder guiding me for most things.

With that said I'm going to be taking the 'lead' role in a new buildings renovations and I'm pretty excited. It's a small building with four two bedroom one bath units. I will have help from the manager and his workers when I need it but it is going to be rough.

Day 1.

I finished my last final the this morning and decided to go get some 'before' pictures of the building.

Living room with fire place. You can see into the other unit and see its fire place.

Kitchen with view into bedroom. The counter tops are going but I may salvage the cabinets.

Washer dryer hookup.

I'll put up the bathroom and bedroom pics tomorrow.

After getting the pics I was off to the local hardware store (Samons) for stuff that we get discounts on.

I picked up:
4 tubs
4 shower assemblies
drains
1"1/2 pipe

I'm hoping after demo (all drywall, counter tops, tile is going) I can get the tubs in quick. My mini goal is to have all tubs in by Wednesday.

Tomorrow will be demo, meeting with an electrician, and ordering more material.

I'll be using this thread to track the project's progress and post pics. Feel free to chime in.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck 38. We'll be watching.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#2]
flood damage? or you just cut off the drywall at waist height to be able to do wiring and plumbing easy?
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, flood was my first thought too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't insulate between units?
Lookin' good though!
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
flood damage? or you just cut off the drywall at waist height to be able to do wiring and plumbing easy?

It was bought 'as is' from the bank.

We found a hose bib that must have burst during the winter.

Luckily I think it turned to ice pretty quick and there's no mold. It looks like the previous owners pulled the rest to check for damage.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lookin' good though!

Today was the firs time I had seen this place.

They did not have any insulation between units as you can see. There is a layer of what looks like very soft particle board under the 5/8ths drywall.

Any body know what this stuff is?

The plan is to do insulation a similar barrier and then drywall.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like a double wall framed wall with offset studs. Good soundproofing.
Quoted:
Lookin' good though!

Looks like fun to me.

Link Posted: 5/9/2011 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lookin' good though!

They did not have any insulation between units as you can see. There is a layer of what looks like very soft particle board under the 3/8ths drywall.

Probably sound board. For sound proofing. It looks like you all set up to just put some R-15 in the wall.

Link Posted: 5/9/2011 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lookin' good though!

They did not have any insulation between units as you can see. There is a layer of what looks like very soft particle board under the 3/8ths drywall.

Probably sound board. For sound proofing. It looks like you all set up to just put some R-15 in the wall.

I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow to get the drywall, insulation, paint, etc.

Is the sound board generally the best option for sound proofing?

I had contemplated the foam stuff or the acoustic sheets.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Day 2

I did more demo today but wasn't able to a finish a tub.

Went to Home Depot and ordered:
40- 5/8'' drywall
27- 5/8'' tough rock cement board ( for around bath tubs and shower)
36- 1/2'' quiet brace sound barrier
25 gallons of paint
r15 insulation
dry wall stuff compound, tape, mesh etc.

Hope depot is delivering everything for $79. I thought that was a steal.

We're taking out the gas stoves for electric. The electrician wants $1400 to do the 220 lines and outlets in all four units. How is that price?

I'll post pics of the progress in a few hours
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]
looking good STO.

I dont know how concerned you guys are with saving money, but if you go to the post office and get a movers packet, it will have a lowes 10% coupon inside.

obviously you can use it at lowes, but you can also use it at Home Depot. They accept competitors coupons.

Thats what i do anytime im gonna make a large purchase at either store.

Link Posted: 5/10/2011 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Good luck. Nothing wrong with doing the work yourself. Good way to save some money if you have time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Some pics from today.

The dumpster is here. You can see the bathtub we pulled behind the manager's Dodge.

Two things about this picture. Notice there is no fire block in the framing and that some of the framing is bowed.

All sheet rock is out of this unit except for around the water heater and furnace.

"before" pic of the bathroom tile.

A previous kitchen we've done and similar theme we'll eventually use here.

How concerned should I be about the framing bowing like that? I've decided I'm going to double those up. It looks like we're going to have to add the fire block to stay up to code and to protect the tenants.

My new more realistic mini goal is to have all demo and bathtubs done by Friday so drywall can go up next week.

ETA:
I wonder why the top three pictures aren't showing up. I did the same thing for all of them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would get a code book if I were you and study it inside and out.

No one will hang you out to dry like tenants will.

There is a code around here for what soundproofing is needed. You may have the same in your area.

Since this is basically total renovation we'll definitely have to be up to code.

The main apartment manager makes sure every thing on the up and up.

Link Posted: 5/10/2011 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#16]
The bowing isn't really that big of a deal.

You can straighten it out if it bothers you with your fire blocking. I would spend the time or the money on adding more studs.

Looks like you guys put together some nice renatals.

ETA- Around here the insulation in the walls meets the requirment for fire codes. As well our walls only need fire blocking

if they are over 9 feet.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Day 3

I ordered all the windows, sinks and fixtures today. I'm a little concerned someone will see the exposed copper through the windows. I tried to disguise it with out making it look like we're obviously hiding something.

No pics of today but things are coming along quickly.

Link Posted: 5/11/2011 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Any opinions on the electricians quote?

Link Posted: 5/11/2011 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Day 3

I ordered all the windows, sinks and fixtures today. I'm a little concerned someone will see the exposed copper through the windows. I tried to disguise it with out making it look like we're obviously hiding something.

No pics of today but things are coming along quickly.

If you are concerned.   Spray it with Kilz.  Looks like PVC then.

Or tear it out yourself and replace with CPVC.  The money from scrap will pay for the materials plus pay for beer later.

Link Posted: 5/13/2011 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Today was a hell of a day.

I was at the building at 6:30a.m. to wait for the Home Depot truck. The truck came around 7:10 and every thing was delivered but the paint. I still can't believe it was only $79 for an eighteen wheeler flat bed to deliver all the materials.

The sound proofing we're going to use. (plus insulation)

All new washer boxes installed.

This wall leads to an out door storage unit. We've decided to convert it into a walk in closet.

Bath tubs are set and the building is ready for drywall on monday.

I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this hole on the landing. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Overall it was a good week.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Good stuff, but don't burn the place down!
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm no plumber, but when I sweat pipes, i give the joint a quick wipe before it cools.  Cleans it up nice, and you don't have dried solder dripping all over the pipes.

Nice project by the way.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm no plumber, but when I sweat pipes, i give the joint a quick wipe before it cools.  Cleans it up nice, and you don't have dried solder dripping all over the pipes.

Nice project by the way.

I'm a noob.

Watching my manager do the last washer boxes proved just how much I have to learn.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#24]
About the giant hole.

I think that I'm going to take the concrete out and re-freame it.

Over the the new framing I want to put polymer 2x4s in like decking.

What do you guys think of that?
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I took a break from the new building today to get the coolers ready for the summer.

Copper lines to make repairs and a shit load of pads.

Link Posted: 5/18/2011 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I took out all the stucco around the windows today. New windows should be going in Saturday.

The manager and i have been really busy with ACs. The new building is getting neglected.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Day 8

I finished up the window demo today.

We're going to finish getting the coolers done tomorrow so we can go to town on Monday.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like shit
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Looks like shit

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#30]
i think it looks great.  have a water sprayer handy for sweating pipes.  

-tom
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#31]
WOW!  Impressive.  Keep up the good work and I hope you find good renters.

FB
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Lookin good. You can make a great carrer out of what your doing.

I got out of the performance auto business a few years ago and have been buying forclosers. The current house were doing was a total gut. Its been fun.

I would like to do a apartment complex like that, I tried to buy one that was 6 units, but he wants too much and it need major updating. Built early 70's.

I suggest you meet with your building inspector and have him give you a run down of what he will be looking for. I'm in IL and don't have many codes like some areas. You will need fire walls in certain areas possibly, which will require two layers of 5/8" firerock.

Also where are your chambers on your shower valve?

Link Posted: 5/19/2011 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Looks like shit

ignore the haters, I'm enjoying seeing the progress

Link Posted: 5/19/2011 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice.

Ive found that if you post pics of any project on arfcom you have to defend every tiny little fucking decision you've made.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks like a great job so far. Learning all the new skills it a ton of fun also.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
i think it looks great.  have a water sprayer handy for sweating pipes.  

-tom

Thanks. I had a water bottle and fire extinguisher ready to go.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks.

The building isn't in the best area but it's near a lot of office buildings.

I'm hoping we can get decent tenants.

ETA:

Meant to quote firebird.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Lookin good. You can make a great carrer out of what your doing.

I got out of the performance auto business a few years ago and have been buying forclosers. The current house were doing was a total gut. Its been fun.

I would like to do a apartment complex like that, I tried to buy one that was 6 units, but he wants too much and it need major updating. Built early 70's.

I suggest you meet with your building inspector and have him give you a run down of what he will be looking for. I'm in IL and don't have many codes like some areas. You will need fire walls in certain areas possibly, which will require two layers of 5/8" firerock.

Also where are your chambers on your shower valve?

Insulation will be fine for fire codes. In theory it cuts down on the oxygen in the walls.

Shower chambers?
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#39]
The kitchen shrunk.

I wanted a pic of the 220 outlet.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
About the giant hole.

I think that I'm going to take the concrete out and re-freame it.

Over the the new framing I want to put polymer 2x4s in like decking.

What do you guys think of that?

That has some issues –– you need to space the beams more closely.

If you redo the concrete, use fibers (plastic fibers, like pillow stuffing in the mix) as well as mesh and it will cut down on cracking a decent amount.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I think the existing concrete is the self leveling stuff for floors.

I want to take it all out and re frame it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#42]
We'll be done taping everything tomorrow,

Once the taping is done it's painting and installing windows for the rest of the week.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Well the new building is getting seriously neglected.

All the windows are installed, rock and taping is about 80%, and every thing I need is ordered.

Here's some 'in progress' pics....

Windows

Hallway with door jamb being set

The bed room with converted walk in closet and new bacck door.

\

Here's a before of the bedroom. Both the closet and back door are addons that used to be exterior storage.

Link Posted: 6/28/2011 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#44]
That's looking very nice.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks!

Quoted:

That's looking very nice.

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#46]
A few pics from today.

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Looking good!
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Cool thread. Love looking at other peoples projects.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Looks like shit

Im sorry but youre the first lerson that ive reported in a year. That reply is useless hurtful and uncalled for in this thread. This guy is obviously working very hard to make a home for people and seems to be genuinely concerned with making it look nice and the only construction wisdom that you can muster is "looks like shit"?

Sorry but low post count, recent join date, useless hatefull post, and a general lack of maturity makes me think that you are a troll.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#50]
You do know that if you install the insulation with the writing upside down moisture will collect against the craft paper and cause Black Mold, right?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top