Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2002 7:33:19 AM EDT
How many of you are ATV nuts?

I ride a 2002 Kawasaki KVF650, its about the meanest quad I've ever ridden and is virtually unstoppable in mud. I've only gotten stuck once and that was in about 2 1/2 feet of pure vapor locking mud without any water, it took an Artic Cat 500i locked in 4x4 with three people weighing it down and me on my quad with the 4 wheel differential lock going to get me out (God that was fun!).
I ride anywhere I can but thats easy when you live in southwest Virginia. My favorite ride is a mountain to removal in Kentucky in an area called Buffalo Creek, there has to be 200 miles of trails coming out of there with some roads you can do 60 plus on too.

Jake
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Honda 350 Rancher 4by, I ride on my 160 acres in Southeast Oklahoma, but also lots of connecting trails, logging roads, oilfield right of ways, etc.  Lots of interesting places to ride the wheeler and shoot the AR in seclusion.  That's what I love about 4 wheelers, you can load up everything in the truck, drive it until it gets too rough, unload the wheeler and drive IT till it gets too rough, then walk in further if you want...hehe.  They are great fun, and obviously Spec Op guys agree....:-)  The Kawasaki is a nice bike, a buddy just got one, and it may be my next one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#3]
kicker, the thing you gotta like most about the 650 it the rumble of that v-twin when you're on a good bog or climb, not to mention the look on a Rubicon fan's face when you you lay down rubber on the pavement when you unload or pull a wheelie at 35mph and run ahead and pull off to wait [}:D].

I know there are hotter quads out there but not a hotter four-by.

Jake
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#4]
... Glamis, Oldsmobile Hill, Buttercup in So. Cal in the [b]winter[/b]. Locally, Sugarloaf Mountain and Lower Sycamore Canyon. Box Canyon near Florence, AZ is bitchin' too.

&

... Summers: Cinders near Sunset Crater north of Flagstaff, AZ (better to wait until the monsoons begin). Just about anywhere legal in the Mogollon Mountain range of northern AZ.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#5]
here's me and my ride...

[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid14/paa5a7617c76b5c30a4875571cf5ef712/fde07173.jpg[/img]

OK, my former ride. Sold it as I wasn't riding much anymore. 30+ sucks. Became a gun-a-holic since.

I used to race arenacross, and did one crosscountry Grand National race. THAT was brutal.

I rode mostly woods, when I wasn't racing. National forest in tennessee, and private property in Western NC.

Some woods in new England.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
My nephew, the one joining me for the BRC is the ATV nut and is working for me at the golf course and also at a marina 2 days a week plus cutting lawns in his neighborhood to save up to buy himself a yamaha raptor in the fall.  Not bad for a 14 year old.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 2002 Polaris.

[img]http://www.atvconnection.com/atvconnection/Departments/Dunes/images/freedommagnum500sm.jpg[/img]

325 Magnum 4x4, and she ROCKS!

Here's an [URL=http://www.atvconnection.com/atvconnection/Departments/Dunes/Polaris-Freedom-ATVs.cfm
]Article[/URL]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a '94 Polaris 250 4x4 that get used and abused around the farm. Aftermarket mud tires made a big difference.

I've seen a few pictures of Polaris 6x6s in use by the Mil in Afghan.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I help manage a 300 acre off-road park here in south cent. Iowa called Bluff Creek.
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/IAJack%2FDCP%5F0008%2EJPG[/img]

Right now I ride a Polaris Scrambler 2x4 250. it will take me up or in anything I care to go. It is small enough that Gale can ride it easily, and when I get a KTM bike we'll be able to go out riding together. I really didn't think I would like the automatic shifting, but once you get used to it it makes riding alot of fun. I have had it in mud and water up to the handle bars and no belt slippage yet!

green18,
A Raptor is alot of machine for a 14yr old isn't it? I grew up riding motocross and I was on one last weekend and it was plenty! They are meant for open terrain like dunes and such. Let alone I don't know if they will even sell one to a 14 yr old with the age/saftey restictions? Just make sure he buys a top of the line helmet and wears it!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My nephew, the one joining me for the BRC is the ATV nut and is working for me at the golf course and also at a marina 2 days a week plus cutting lawns in his neighborhood to save up to buy himself a yamaha raptor in the fall.  Not bad for a 14 year old.
View Quote

If thats his first quad he is liable to find himself on something he can't control.

I grew up riding dirt bikes so the switch to a quad wasn't that hard, but going from an RM 125 that weighed a couple of hundred pounds to a quad that weighs 600 plus when wet and runs 60 plus easy now that required quite a bit of respect for the machine. A raptor weighs a little less but makes my v-twin look like its tied to a guardrail when we are riding in the open.

I would go as far as to recommend a Snell helmet, rock vest, and a pair of rigid riding boots to a 14 year old who wants to climb on a Raptor 660, Sounds like overkill but remember that thing weighs 2 to 3 times as much as he does and is a serious racing machine.[-=(_)=-]

Jake
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]
350X - [url=http://www.glamisdunes.com/]Glamis[/url], Pismo, and Dumont Dunes plus local desert. Haven't been out is a couple of years though. Too many liberals with their rules and regulations running things!
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I ride and Race Honda FL-350's Odyssey's. Just about the most fun you can have with your clothes (and helmet) on! Very, very fast. Honda made these machines in three classes. The FL-250 Odyssey (76-84), The FL-350 (85) Odyssey and The FL-400 Pilot(89-91)which is a dream of a machine.

There are many of us Odyssey and Pilot drivers around with core Odyssey groups in Ohio and California. We ride and race as often as we can.

[img]www.efcyber.com/dust2.jpg[/img]

This is me coming out of the dust durning the Spring Valley races in Northeast Ohio.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:56:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Running a Nitrous charged Banshee with all the bells and whistles attached. Spent lots of time and money during a 8 month winter fixing it up a couple years back. Ride on stateland around here as there is plenty. May also stroll up to the Bighorn Mtns. to hit the many trails around.
[img]http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Mar/20023224667961764539743.jpg[/img]
This is the brains of the nitrous setup.
[img]http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Mar/20023221820275485365541.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top