Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2002 6:52:09 AM EDT
Now that Vice President Dick Cheney has admitted that new terrorism against the US is "almost a certainty," does this make you more concerned? And what form will it take?

I was going to make it a poll, but since there are so many possiblities, I thought it impractical.

IMO, I think we'll start to see homicide bombings.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I maintain that they already shot their wad.

I'm not losing any sleep.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#2]
More concerned?  Not necessarily.  Not even possibly more cautious.

More observant is my most likely response.

As far as what form it could take, well, the possibilities are endless.  Homicide bombings, poisoned food or water supplies, dirty nukes, truck bombs, airliner hijackings, chemical/bio attacks, and any number of other possibilities.

If another attack or series of attacks should occur, the only certainty is that its main goal will be to frighten an exponential number more of citizens than it was actually designed to kill.

...and I [b]refuse[/b] to be frightened.

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Not very likely, I say.

Remember Mao said that the true revolutionary will swim as fish in the sea, blending in with the locals, etc.

Well, these 'fish' are on dry land and are hopelessly obvious!

Let's just say that I am always careful about to whom I will sell a weapon at a gun show.

After September 11, I have become a nazi about to whom I will sell a weapon at a gun show.

So sue me!

Eric The(Discerning)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I am taking no extra precautions against foreign "terrorists" that I don't take with the domestic ones.....[:D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#7]
It's just a part of being a responsible gun owner!

If you're a FFL dealer, it's also the law!

But when I used to sell weapons privately, I was very much opposed to selling to someone who 'looked' as if he/she was bad company.

I know that's ludicrous, 'cause I would have easily sold anything to Timothy McVeigh or David Koresh, based upon how they 'looked.'

But just because you may be fooled some of the time doesn't mean you have to throw your hands in the air and give up trying!

Be aware of the people around you.

Eric The(Prudent)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Do I expect more attacks?  Yes.

Do I expect to be a direct casualty of an attack?  No.

Do I expect to suffer, to some degree, as an indirect result of an attack?  Yes.

Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Mans inhumanity to man; it's been going on since the dawn of time - and it's gonna keep going on.  The only difference about modern times is that the average individual is much better able to care for themselves and their families then ever before in history.  Thank you Mr. Colt.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#10]
The reason I bring this up is because I live in a Maryland suburb of DC.  I suspect that the next "incident" will be either here or in NY again.  

Normally, I'm not prone to anxiety, but having the V.P. on TV saying it's going to happen again has me a little on edge.

What would you suggest to put in an emergency medical kit in order to assist in the treatment of civilian casualties?
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I am not to concerned, but I am very prepared. If the terrorist were to strike hard and distrupt the economy I think you would have more problems with residents of this country trying to steal things from you, like food, water, etc, that is their goal anyways I beleive. They want to crash the economy and cause us to destroy ourselves.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Post from Shadowblade -
For those who will not sell to certain people at gun shows... what factors influence you most? Appearance? Attitude? Number of visible tattoos and piercings? Race?
View Quote

Yes.

And regarding race, I've sold many weapons to all races of folks, but if someone tries to make me think that they're a 'gangsta', whether they be black, brown, or porcelin white, they ain't gonna buy my 'mo-fo' weapons!
I ask because, while I am as responsible as a firearm owner can be, I am also a biker - and I look the part. Long hair, biker jacket, earrings, only one tattoo so far... I'd rather spend the money on guns. I look shady, and I know it. People leave me alone this way. Would you refuse to sell to me?
View Quote

Not me, baby, 'cause I used to look rather disreputable myself, and bikers when they are just bikers are some of our best customers!
I won't sell to just anyone either, but I am looking at attitude, primarily just engaging them in conversation and asking a few innocent questions. If they seem like they are lying, the flags go up. If they don't speak english well, flags. If they look nervous, or like they are hiding their nervousness, or too eager to buy (I ask high expecting to be talked down, it encourages the dialog), flags. If I were to have an Arab, or any foreign buyer, I would be looking harder at these things. If that makes me a racist, so be it.
View Quote

Sounds like you are a very discerning man, [b]Shadowblade[/b], more power to you!

Eric The(RightOn!RightOn!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Define "punk".

I ask because, while I am as responsible as a firearm owner can be, I am also a biker - and I look the part.  Long hair, biker jacket, earrings, only one tattoo so far... I'd rather spend the money on guns.  I look shady, and I know it.  
View Quote

HAHA, so that's your secret [}:D]  Now that you mention it, when we went shooting everyone stayed away from our range.  Maybe it was because of your looks....or perhaps that it was -15 outside!
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I fear our own Gov't more than I do some silly terrorists. Now the FBI is opening a new "anti-terrorist" section and wants to hire 100s of NEW employees. WTF?? Like they aren't all running into each other now. I say if they need a new dept, then they need to downsize some of the chaff from the other depts.
blah blah blah
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#16]
... Not at all. Even with 3000 dead on 9/11 the threat is mainly psychological.
Actually, a successful terrorist against our country doesn't count right ears but rather his/her impact on Wall Street.

... Terrorism to me is some whacked out druggy killing innocents for the money for a fix.  Like this last night. Very close to home for me.
[url]http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0520mesakillings-ON.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm not losing any sleep.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I still worry much more about what my own government will do to me than what any terroist will.

The government has MUCH more power and money then any terrorist ever will.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top