Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2011 2:34:12 PM EDT
But after a good number of range visits I finally figured out why I sucked at shooting handguns. I didn't figure it out until I was dry firing while repeating the portfolio effect for my SCM final in my head.

Thank God graduation is in 72 hours. Can't take anymore of this "studying" and I need more time to go shoot. Like today, where I shot 10x better than normal. That's all, carry on
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
If you go to a handgun class (or even an IDPA match) with an open mind other shooters will help you become a better shooter. Other shooters are generally very helpful pointing out your mistakes.

Generally people mess up in the following areas:

Wandering/improper grip/insufficient forearm strength
Poor stance/balance
Flinching
No follow-through/not watching front site through full cycle
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the advice from both of you. I realized that my biggest problem is flinching. I was doing it even without a round in the chamber. Another problem was squeezing the trigger quickly rather than controlled pulls. I corrected that and went from being all over the place, hoping to be on paper, to delivering my first 10 shots today in a decent group in the head.

I would love to get out and shoot with some people more experienced than me if I had the chance. Unfortunately, I'm 1 out of 2 friends here at school with a handgun, the other got his 2 weeks ago. The only other people that I shoot with are people who don't give a shit and just want to take my gun and make noise. I don't have the money to take a class right now either. But as soon as I commission and move and am surrounded by people that know what the hell they're doing I'll definitely take advantage of it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top