Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2011 8:42:21 AM EDT
Yeah, suppressors are great.  But it's not feasible for me to suppress every gun I own, in every situation I want to shoot it.

So, does anyone have and use these Surefire units?

There are a few different models from what I can tell.  EP1, EP2, etc etc.  They seem to be around 14-16dB reduction.  Is that adequate for a night of trap shooting?  Does the mechanical valve function as advertised?  I.E. allowing conversation but blocking impulses?  Are they comfortable?

I got on the Arfcom bandwagon last year and bought these from Amazon:

And for the money, they're a damn nice option.  I just hate muffs.  They get in the way of my cheek weld with most long guns, I don't really care for or need amplification and on windy days, it's down right detrimental to my sanity.

What other options are there?  Other than the $700 molded ear insert units I see at USPSA and the like.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I prefer the EP4 to the others, blocks more noise.
I can be completely comfortable shooting an Indoor pistol match just wearing the surefire plugs
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both types, the Impact e-muffs, and the Surefire EarPro.  I use the muffs unless I'm shooting precision, because the stock displaces my right muff and breaks the seal.  The Surefires are excellent, I used them my last Iraq tour.  The mechanical valve block allows for maybe 10db attenuation difference.  Because some portion of loud percussive noise is transmitted through the skull, the muffs reduce perceived sound more, but the Surefires still work very well for plugs.  I recommend using both if possible, but if you need to use plugs, the Surefires are GTG.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The SureFire plugs are great. I've got a pair and use them often.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I keep a pair in the truck and a pair in my rifle/range bag.

ETA: I use them for rifle/pistol/shotgun shooting.
Fantastic even with a covered range. Can hear people talking.
Hearing protection is very well.

I've had no problems wearing them for hours at the range.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:58:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Haven't used the Surefire ones but have been wanting to try a pair of auto-cancelling ones like that.  Usually, though, when I go to the indoor pistol range I'll wear foam construction worker plugs and muffs over them, versus just plugs when shooting long guns outdoors.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been wanting to try some of those in-ear noise-cancelling ones but I've always though they're probably out of my price range. Anyone use some inexpensive auto noise cancelling earpros that are worth buying?
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#7]
IMHO they are not enough, they left my ears ringing during pistol shooting. I only use them with muffs. Save money and by foamies, 16db protection vs 33db.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been wanting to try some of those in-ear noise-cancelling ones but I've always though they're probably out of my price range. Anyone use some inexpensive auto noise cancelling earpros that are worth buying?

The ones I posted a picture of are excellent.  Howard Leight Impact Sport, can be had on Amazon for about $45.  But I've been unable to find anything in-ear that is less than $300+.

As for foamies, I use no-rolldown pushins at work, and they're great.  I just want the closest I can get to the best of both worlds, that is, conversation and protection, in a minimal package.  I never shoot indoors.  Just no where to do it.  I don't mind the muffs for pistol shooting, which is probably the loudest shooting I do, or at least places the shockwave the closest to my head.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, I prefer the EP4 to the others, blocks more noise.
I can be completely comfortable shooting an Indoor pistol match just wearing the surefire plugs

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.  A suggestion on which model to try.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

IMHO they are not enough, they left my ears ringing during pistol shooting. I only use them with muffs. Save money and by foamies, 16db protection vs 33db.

Those numbers don't accurately reflect how the SF protect against loudness. Because they allow in quieter sounds, they take a hit in the overall dB numbers.

I find that if I don't put the SF earpro in correctly, pistols are a little loud. Go figure.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife and I use the Surefire EP-3s when out in the open shooting .38 +P, .45, shotgun (12 and 20 gauge) and any of our .22LRs. (rifles and handguns). These are comfortable in the ears and suppress the shots fine.
When shooting .357,  .40, 9mm, .223, .308, .270 and anytime in enclosed shooting bays at the range, I have to switch to my Peltor Tactical 6 protectors.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I use Peltor Tacticals
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My wife and I use the Surefire EP-3s when out in the open shooting .38 +P, .45, shotgun (12 and 20 gauge) and any of our .22LRs. (rifles and handguns). These are comfortable in the ears and suppress the shots fine.
When shooting .357,  .40, 9mm, .223, .308, .270 and anytime in enclosed shooting bays at the range, I have to switch to my Peltor Tactical 6 protectors.

Dave

Does your wife wear mediums or smalls?  I'm going to order a couple pairs of medium and hope one fits my wife.  If they don't, then I'll have two pair and we'll get her something else.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#15]
i used the surefires for the 3 days i spent as a lane saftey while we qualified the whole company on the m2, they worked great. 20k of .50 later no ringing or anything

get them, make sure you pay attention to the sizing.

i dont use anything else for outdoor shooting.

they also worked great on hand grenades.

that said i have also worn them on the gunline when firing 155s

hopefully your not shooting anything that loud
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dave

Does your wife wear mediums or smalls?  I'm going to order a couple pairs of medium and hope one fits my wife.  If they don't, then I'll have two pair and we'll get her something else.

We both wear the medium size. The Surefire website said those would fit the majority of people, and they fit us well. The site also includes a guide to measure your ear for fit.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#17]
this is interesting,  never heard these plugs before, always looking for something better than walmart grade earplugs.  I usually have to wear plugs when driving, road and wind noise make the headaches more intense.  People I live with have to have TV up very loud. The tv range is 0-60 bars, they've got on it about 43, while I only need it at 14-18 this the one reason I dont watch TV except late at night.

might get a few pair of those just because.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

this is interesting,  never heard these plugs before, always looking for something better than walmart grade earplugs.  I usually have to wear plugs when driving, road and wind noise make the headaches more intense.  People I live with have to have TV up very loud. The tv range is 0-60 bars, they've got on it about 43, while I only need it at 14-18 this the one reason I dont watch TV except late at night.

might get a few pair of those just because.

Probably not good for blocking out TV noise. They're good for protecting against ear damaging sound, not annoyances.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those numbers don't accurately reflect how the SF protect against loudness. Because they allow in quieter sounds, they take a hit in the overall dB numbers.  

I find that if I don't put the SF earpro in correctly, pistols are a little loud. Go figure.

do you find them as comfortable as the foam plugs?  in regards to blocking noise, that is.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I love the Surefire plugs. 2 day pistol course I wore them the whole time, no issues, comfortable, and could hear the instructor talking. Love 'em.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

do you find them as comfortable as the foam plugs?  in regards to blocking noise, that is.

Yes. They've always been sufficient. If it gets too loud, you can always close them up completely.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I've checked them out, but the 14-16db reduction kind of scared me off
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I got a pair of these while at Fort Dix for an RTC.  I got tired of foam plugs as they don't seal for me when I put them in the second time.  They worked well but didn't cut out as much noise as foamies but they didn't stick out of my ears nearly as far as my issued ear pro.  My wife stole them for her range bag when I got home.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I do, too. They're the most comfortable pair of ear plugs I've ever worn. They work, even shooting a 5.56 AR at an indoor range.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Like I wrote above, the numbers don't accurately reflect their effectiveness. I thought I read the explanation on the SF site, but I checked just now really quickly and didn't find it. I thought it was in a PDF somewhere.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yeah, suppressors are great.  But it's not feasible for me to suppress every gun I own, in every situation I want to shoot it.

So, does anyone have and use these Surefire units?

https://shop.pbaimports.com.au/images/surefire_earpro_defenders.jpg

There are a few different models from what I can tell.  EP1, EP2, etc etc.  They seem to be around 14-16dB reduction.  Is that adequate for a night of trap shooting?  Does the mechanical valve function as advertised?  I.E. allowing conversation but blocking impulses?  Are they comfortable?

I got on the Arfcom bandwagon last year and bought these from Amazon:

http://images.outdoorpros.com/images/prod/5/Howard-Leight-R-01526-rw-37837-43087.jpg

And for the money, they're a damn nice option.  I just hate muffs.  They get in the way of my cheek weld with most long guns, I don't really care for or need amplification and on windy days, it's down right detrimental to my sanity.

What other options are there?  Other than the $700 molded ear insert units I see at USPSA and the like.

I have both and both are better than nothing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks guys.  Ordered some EP4s.  Hopefully get them for trap on Thursday.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I wrote above, the numbers don't accurately reflect their effectiveness. I thought I read the explanation on the SF site, but I checked just now really quickly and didn't find it. I thought it was in a PDF somewhere.  

yeah, I saw that.  I think I'll pick up a set and try them out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#30]
ive got the surefire plugs.  havent gone shooting with them yet but i use them on the bike.  blocks out the loud wind noise while still allowing me to hear shit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I've found that with the ear plugs they only work well enough when I have the small tabs in if I'm shooting my M4.

If I shoot with the small tabs out then my ears ring, with them in they work great.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've found that with the ear plugs they only work well enough when I have the small tabs in if I'm shooting my M4.

If I shoot with the small tabs out then my ears ring, with them in they work great.

i havent shot with them yet but yeah id imagine youd want them closed while shooting anything real loud.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yup, they are great
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#34]
I use the EP4(closed) plugs with those same muffs over them.

After realizing that I have ringing in my ear every night, I now protect my hearing. Even when shooting with a can.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I used to feel the same way, but I've been reading about ear pro lately, and I think I figured out what that means. Most of them filter out above 82 DB or so. That 14-16 refers to how much of the other noise it filters out. For example, something with a 14-16 wouldn't be great in a factory, where the noise is constant, and likely below 82 (like at 70 DB), but a gunshot, which is above 82, would get filtered out.

In other words, the way I understand it, you won't have damage due to gunshots, but still be able to hear the guy next to you telling you how bad your last shot was

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i havent shot with them yet but yeah id imagine youd want them closed while shooting anything real loud.

The plugs are there for low end noise.

I've had no problems shooting thousands of rounds through my AR15, hundreds of pistol rounds and 12guage rounds, even .308 with either pair of my EP4's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top