Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2002 2:33:42 PM EDT
The economy is supposed to be turning around, so I'm curious as to how many members are looking for a new job, or have recently found a new job.

If so, what type of work do you do, and how long have you been looking?
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I (finally) found employment about six weeks ago, after seven months of looking.  I'm a PC systems and networks guy in Eastern TN.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I (finally) found employment about six weeks ago, after seven months of looking.  I'm a PC systems and networks guy in Eastern TN.
View Quote

Were you employed or unemployed while you were looking?  Are you making more now than before?

Seems like the networking jobs have all but dried up.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#4]
after nearly two years of searching (sometimes half-heartedly because of the sheer frustration), i recently got my real estate license.  never be outta work again!

i wasn't unemployed for those entire two years but temping as a data entry op with a master's degree in environmental science is a damn big blow to the ego.  

i just wish the government gave refunds on the students loans.  don't use the education, don't have to pay the loan, or at least the interest.

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#6]
AR Lady, have you been looking for a job related to environmental science?  If you are near Louisville I could probably give you a few leads.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I am looking for a new part-time job while I go to school

working in a Gun-shop/pistol range now

its sweet but the people I work with are a bunch of drunk pathological liars

BUT FREE RANGE TIME IS HARD TO PART WITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Various ATF paperwork violations that they(managment) have done will probally mena loss of FFL so... I'll be selling furniture....

Ma'am would you like the ottoman with or without
9mm Bullet holes????????
TIME TO LEAVE!

[uzi]
-Chuck
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
AR Lady, have you been looking for a job related to environmental science?  If you are near Louisville I could probably give you a few leads.
View Quote

had been.  actually was widening it to include undergrad degree of biology too.  figured more generic made for more options.

was limited in the locations to look for jobs though as fiance was already rooted here in indy.  i appreciate the offer.  thanks.  but i think i've washed my hands of that crap for a while now.  actually felt good to speak with different brokers and have them tell me they wanted me to work for them instead of trying to convince some stuffed-shirt arrogant pig why i was better qualified for the job than the next guy.  i was so used to fighting tooth and nail for a position.  i didn't realize that brokerages fight for new agents.  what a cool feeling!

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The economy is supposed to be turning around, so I'm curious as to how many members are looking for a new job, or have recently found a new job.

View Quote

Have been looking for a year now. Have interviewed but was never hired. I am in the financial services field and we are currently a dime a dozen. Literally. Unless of course you want to go in the sales end. Still looking. I am not sure I can find anything for another year in my chosen field.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I was laid off from my automation job in Charlotte,NC on Feb 18, still looking.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm looking as of this Monday. I will most likely temp until I find the right position. Thankfully, I've got a nice nest egg so things won't get too hairy unless I'm still unemployed 3 or 4 months from now.

Matt
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Going on 10 months now and still nothing.

It is game over for me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#13]
ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!!! i applied at carters country (gun store) and its been 3 weeks and i called to ask.  they said, "we havent decided yet."  any suggestions
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I graduated from grad school almost 6 months ago, and despite applying for over 30 jobs for which I am qualified, I'm still unemployed.  I hope this BS ends soon.  I'm tired of eating corn flakes for half of my meals.

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm making more money now than I ever have. I married a really smart Russian gal, and she has really helped me save money. In the last three months I've saved $7000.00.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm making more money now than I ever have. I married a really smart Russian gal, and she has really helped me save money. In the last three months I've saved $7000.00.
View Quote

No......[i]she[/i] saved $7000!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#17]
My current occupation has resulted in a condition known as Buttocksia Colussundium.

I am seriously considering being a trash man for a year to relieve the swelling in the afflicted area.

Besides, it would be fun...for a year.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 4:05:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I have been looking for about 8 months both back in Chicago and now back here in North Dakota.  I do computer networking / PC support.  The good news is I have had more activity in the last 2 months since I moved back to ND than I did in the previous six in Chicagoland, so hopefully something will happen soon.  I'm working a night job temporarily which I can't wait to ditch, I feel like a friggin vampire!
I THOUGHT I was night person until I started working all night. Sucks!

Mike
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Have been looking for a year now. Have interviewed but was never hired. I am in the financial services field and we are currently a dime a dozen. Literally. Unless of course you want to go in the sales end. Still looking. I am not sure I can find anything for another year in my chosen field.
View Quote

Hey, LT -

What do you this of these invesigations into analysts and their recommendations on securities where their own company is holding or involved in the underwriting (or both)?
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:25:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I've been looking for about 6 months now and cant find any thing that pays good and has good insurance. I work in IT for a large computer company that just got larger. I actually do contract work for them and we take care of all the networking, phone system, voice mail, video confrencing, and pretty much every thing else that has to do with data or telephone networking.

Diesel
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#21]
survived 4-5 rounds of layoffs so far and expanded my responsibilities with each one dont anticipate surviving the next one unless we get some larger prjects in soon,the only good part is that we are a private company in the US and most of our competition jumped on the dot com bandwagon and went public only to be gutted and left for dead in the aftermath, even though some of them won contracts they can no longer service them and we end up with the work by default, but unless the telcom market turns around soon more of us will be out and lloking for jobs in other lines of work cause there is very little in this one for now. Some of the people we laid off were let go over a year ago now and still havent found work. It sucks that I used to complain about how much noise was around here now its dead quiet and I wish there were more people in this office.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Hey Joe,

Wassup? I thought you made it to easy street?

I am just being VERY lazy. Still getting my head back on straight. Only planned on a 3 month leave, then look hard for a new job. But personal things came up (friend died, 2 weeks later dad died).

This has caused me to sit back and reflect on life. I still haven't come to any conclusions. I am currently comtimplating going into teaching. But the few places I have applied to, they have a huge stack of resumes of other people with the same idea.

I still keep in touch with old workmates, If things are bad, hang in there. HR is aware of the problems, and are talking to managers about it. They are aware that a lot of workers are just "hang'n" till the job market turns around fully, and they are trying to come up with ideas on how to retain people.

P.S.
You ever check your board messages? I sent you one!
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I got laid off from a dotcom in November and am still looking for work.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hey Joe,

Wassup? I thought you made it to easy street?

I am just being VERY lazy. Still getting my head back on straight. Only planned on a 3 month leave, then look hard for a new job. But personal things came up (friend died, 2 weeks later dad died).

This has caused me to sit back and reflect on life. I still haven't come to any conclusions. I am currently comtimplating going into teaching. But the few places I have applied to, they have a huge stack of resumes of other people with the same idea.

I still keep in touch with old workmates, If things are bad, hang in there. HR is aware of the problems, and are talking to managers about it. They are aware that a lot of workers are just "hang'n" till the job market turns around fully, and they are trying to come up with ideas on how to retain people.

P.S.
You ever check your board messages? I sent you one!
View Quote

Yeah, it's easy all right.  It's also soooo damn booring.

It's not as bad as it was, but then again I'm not working for the same people.  They may say they are trying to improve things, but none of us see it.

I'm not necessarily looking for a new job, but that doesn't mean that I won't turn down a good offer either.  I'm really sick of being underpaid.

I never got an IM message from you.  Hope it wasn't important.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Were you employed or unemployed while you were looking?  Are you making more now than before?

Seems like the networking jobs have all but dried up.
View Quote

Seven horrible months of Unemployment, and I currently make significantly less than I did--though that may be changing shortly.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I never got an IM message from you.  Hope it wasn't important.
View Quote

Naa, not really. Just was responding about getting together for some target practice. Looking in my message base, looks like it was deleted. Still up for it?
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I got down sized from my telecom job of nine years about a month and a half ago. I took the first three weeks off and did very little.  After some soul searching, I’ve decided this might just be the excuse I need to get the hell out of Kaliforina. So I’ve been looking for jobs in WA, GA, NV, AZ and FL.  I’m thinking about OR to. Who knows if I can escape, getting laid off might turn out to be a good thing.  It sure would be nice to be able to buy another AR and to not be treated like a criminal because I own one!

Larry  
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Naa, not really. Just was responding about getting together for some target practice. Looking in my message base, looks like it was deleted. Still up for it?
View Quote

You've got mail.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I got down sized from my telecom job of nine years about a month and a half ago. I took the first three weeks off and did very little.  After some soul searching, I’ve decided this might just be the excuse I need to get the hell out of Kaliforina. So I’ve been looking for jobs in WA, GA, NV, AZ and FL.  I’m thinking about OR to. Who knows if I can escape, getting laid off might turn out to be a good thing.  It sure would be nice to be able to buy another AR and to not be treated like a criminal because I own one!

Larry  
View Quote

just a note, from you list of potential states, it seems you're limiting it to gun friendly.  i have no idea what your area of expertise is in, but consider indiana or kentucky also.  and a helluva lot cheaper than some of the other ones on your list (especially AZ).
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

on my cruise, i met a stunning 24yr old latvian and i only wish i could marry her.  we were flirting for 2 weeks at dinner.  (she is the waitress for our table) and on the last day she tells me she is ingaged.  DAMN!!!  but i think there is still time if my e-mail will start working so i can e-mail her!
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 2:03:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I’ve been looking for jobs in WA, GA, NV, AZ and FL.  I’m thinking about OR to.
View Quote

WA and OR are lost causes.  OR has a better shot at recovery even though their unemployment rate is the highest in the nation.  WA' is second-highest.

Still looking.  Still not finding anything.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 2:25:02 AM EDT
[#34]
i need a job being a junior college student and in debt is not fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top