Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2011 1:38:00 AM EDT
I was looking at album pictures of my younger classmates and one of them had a bottle of yellow tail wine on the counter.......which is one of the brands I rather avoid. But it got me to thinking of the various ways one might differ from their classmates when there is practically a generation apart.

Of course, there are probably the political differences......and that can be just left off the table. Another is probably firearms. What may be something of a novelty to them, maybe most the shotgun or rifle they fired in their family, is standard, if not practically daily for me. I mean, they probably don't think, care, where they can go, of whether or not they can go here or there because they are packing because probably.....they aren't packing. The other week, I was talking shoulder holsters with two 20ish boy classmates and commenting how because the belt strap was pulled aft for concealment it made it hard to draw,

"I understand, to draw out the pistol," one blurted and I corrected him that it made it hard to pull on the spare magazines. I suppose my "expertise" in a world he knows little about.

But what other ways might "we" differ?
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:42:06 AM EDT
[#1]
As we get older, we realize we don't know everything.

Younger folks these days always think they are the smartest person in the room.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think he was being a smart alec, but rather just talking on something with what he knew about it, in a subject where he really didn't know much about it at all. But that's the way it is with guns, I believe; unless when you are young you are actively involved with them, you are not going to know much about them unless it is through the experience of years.......especially when the current society feel on them but that could be beyond the subject.

Of course, the two classmates examples I am pulling on are both actors, so on the face of it, that could be a major difference there....but then again, I've been classmates with "them" for about 4 years so it is not entirely a contaminating process, if one follows my meaning. Not that I am chopping them down on that for that is one of the things that tears at me in that I can be in part of their world, but I cannot be entirely in that world.....I'm still what I was before I entered it.

But looking at some of the conversations I've had with them, such as with my Serena Complex, I suppose there is a tendency to believe what you know is sufficient and all encompassing.....when at this age it isn't and perhaps from the angle of the Serena Complex, perhaps even unimportant.

Wine, guns, what else might there be?
("She can read the stars like Galileo, but she cannot read a menu!"––Serena's new boytoy about the confusion he has about her (because she is trying to do things the mortal way), (w,stte), "Bewitched")
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#3]
When you get old, things that didn't use to get stiff, get stiff..
And things that use to get stiff dont...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top