Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2011 11:30:19 PM EDT
I've been considering it for a few years now. My 3.5 year relationship just ended a few weeks ago and I have nothing to keep me from doing it anymore. I don't really know what I want to do or what branch yet though. I was looking at Air Force Security Forces or Aerial Gunner.  Maybe Army MP.  I spent a few hours looking at websites etc. I guess the next move is to start talking to the recruiters etc. Any advice from you guys who have been through this would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:33:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:33:54 PM EDT
[#2]
walk into a recruiters office and let them know what you want to do. They will either give you the job you want, or give you a job that is available. Ask lots of questions and think everything through before you commit.

And what ever you do, don't join artillery.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Sober up, and get back to us in the morning...

If you still want to join, I will say go ARMY MEDIC
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No kidding!,

Ft Sill is a shithole.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]
First, change your user name to something less...cocktacular.

*Second, don't share your medical history. You've never so much as had a cold in your life. Trust me...it'll save you ridiculous amounts of time.

Third, don't ask Arfcom. Put on your big girl panties and walk into the nearest recruiting office.

*Naturally this does not apply if you're mentally retarded, have a Special Hand, twitch uncontrollably, pee the bed, sleepwalk, or suck cock.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I will say go ARMY MEDIC

Fuck that. The last time I took a trauma course with you, some homo tried to make me touch his balls.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

join the marines, dont be a pussy.

If he wants to do MP, the USMC is probably the branch least likely to give him that out of the gate. Though I'm sure one hitch of 0311 and he could do security/LE in just about any branch he chooses after that. We squids have a few prior Marines in the security forces.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I will say go ARMY MEDIC

Fuck that. The last time I took a trauma course with you, some homo tried to make me touch his balls.

It is a sweep!...

Not a touch, grope, fondle...

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:56:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wiser words never spoken. Field artillery means just that, you'll be in the fucking field all the damn time. I was an 82C but we still went to the field whenever the guns did.

Quoted:
Ft Sill is a shithole.

Yes it is and Lawton is shitier! The only fun there was strip joints and lots of beer.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Think about what you want to do and try to find a career that translates to the outside world too.  Make sure you're in shape(round does not count in this sense), if you are in shape, get in better shape.  Any promises, guarantees, bonuses, advanced rank, schools, etc need to be in writing before you sign your contract.  The recruiter may try to blow sunshine up your ass, and if you buy it without anything in writing, it doesn't exist.  

Look at all 5 branches, you just might find something in another branch that you hadn't thought about.  Don't be quick to sign, make a calculated and informed decision.  Lastly, I would steer you towards active duty over reserve or guard.  They really are 2 different worlds and in my opinion you'll have a better understanding for what ever you do by going active first.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Think about what you want to do and try to find a career that translates to the outside world too. Make sure you're in shape(round does not count in this sense), if you are in shape, get in better shape. Any promises, guarantees, bonuses, advanced rank, schools, etc need to be in writing before you sign your contract. The recruiter may try to blow sunshine up your ass, and if you buy it without anything in writing, it doesn't exist.

Look at all 5 branches, you just might find something in another branch that you hadn't thought about. Don't be quick to sign, make a calculated and informed decision. Lastly, I would steer you towards active duty over reserve or guard. They really are 2 different worlds and in my opinion you'll have a better understanding for what ever you do by going active first.

Good luck!
Definitely will be active duty. I'm currently a reserve deputy and have been for a couple years. I would really like to eventually continue working in LE. That's the main reason for my interest in MP type positions.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:12:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Its nothing like the movies!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Go be a MP in the Army. Talking to SF in the Air Force, I have found that they either hate it or love it with hate being about 75%. There is no in between. MPs count less rivets too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Talk to EVERYBODY.......

RESEARCH EVERYTHING.....

DO NOT take what your recruiter tells you at face value.....

TRUST, but VERIFY.....

Every service has their positives and negatives....FIND out what those are!  Someone's Negative MAY be your Positive, and vice versa.

Decide what you want to do!!  Make it a short list.  STICK TO IT!!!

Do you have a degree? Do you want to be an Officer?  Research it!

Good Luck.....

Whatever your choice is, you're gonna be there for 4 years.....At least!
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:15:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding!,

Ft Sill is a shithole.

This is true, but the surrounding area, sans Lawton, is pretty nice.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:17:54 AM EDT
[#17]
MP's are assholes. Everyone hates them. They even hate themselves, and justifiably so. If you are LE already, find something outside of that field. I suggest USMC aviation. C130 Mech/crew or Helicopter mech/crew. See the world. Have some fun. Go back to civvie LE in the end.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Go be a MP in the Army. Talking to SF in the Air Force, I have found that they either hate it or love it with hate being about 75%. There is no in between. MPs count less rivets too.

What were the reasons they hated it?
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:18:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Go talk to the recruiters.

There is nothing they can do at their office that
can trick you into signing up for a particular service.

You'll have to take the ASVAB, go to MEPS, etc.  There's
quite a great deal to do before you ship.

Figgure out what's most important;

-Being in a particular service
-The job you are going to do
-Where you'll be stationed
-Bonuses (College/Enlistment bonus)

Use those in conjunction with each other to guide you in your choice.

Oh, and if you ever thought of being airborne, ensure you get it
in your initial contract.  Same with Ranger.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just think about what an MP does. When a real soldier is trying to do their job you would be the guy interrupting them to give them a ticket.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:30:01 AM EDT
[#21]
AF, Coast Guard, Navy, USMC, Army in that order.

The Navy has JCS and special forces command and "SEALS" got to take down Bin Laden.

The Army is the Rodney Dangerfield of .mil.

"We are not worthy" should be the Army motto. How many times has Army lost to Navy in football IN A ROW! and now the NAVY gets to take down the most notorious enemy of good since fucking HITLER!?

Inter-service rivalry, FUCK YEAH!
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:30:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just think about what an MP does. When a real soldier is trying to do their job you would be the guy interrupting them to give them a ticket.

I meant why do the Air Force SF hate it. Since you said to do Army MP instead. As far as citations I highly doubt I'd be writing many to servicemen. I hardly write any now as it is. You really have to do something stupid or just be a super asshole to get a citation from me.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:34:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny blue hat, ascot and white boot laces.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:45:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

At the lower ranks E1-E5 you are sitting on a flightline and watching a plane for 12 hours (rivet counting). At some bases its sitting at a missle silo watching a hole in the ground. At some bases its sitting in a cement bunker watching a fence line. Really boring work. As you get along in rank (E6 and above) its gets better. There is a lot of AF SF here. I'm sure they will be along to tell you way more. The only interaction I have with them is ordering stuff for them and walking by them at an ECP and they want to look at my RAB. Military bases are known for being pretty safe. Not a lot of crime. So even patrolling (LE minded side) is pretty boring.  

Some love it and some hate it. My nephew is SF and he hated Korea. I loved Korea, but I wasn't a cop. He is at Hickam now and says its better than Korea but he is still getting out.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:46:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I meant why do the Air Force SF hate it. Since you said to do Army MP instead. As far as citations I highly doubt I'd be writing many to servicemen. I hardly write any now as it is. You really have to do something stupid or just be a super asshole to get a citation from me.

Well maybe you should go MP and talk some sense into the other MP's then. I've gotten a ticket on an airbase for going 3mph over the speed limit.

I've also had MP's wait at the Entry Control Point (ECP) over seas, and when I would come off of a 4 or 5 day combat logistical patrol (CLP) I would get pulled over for taking my helmet off to dry my sweaty head.

They actually enforce the speed limits overseas on little pretend dirt roads in the middle of no where. When everyone is trying to fight a war the MP's are pulling them over...

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:47:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes you will, that is pretty much the entire make up of your responsibilities.  Sure there are dependants and contractors, but you want to be an MP and say you won't write service members....  bullshit.  Nothing against you and how you conduct business now, but let's be realistic here.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:49:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well maybe you should go MP and talk some sense into the other MP's then. I've gotten a ticket on an airbase for going 3mph over the speed limit.

I've also had MP's wait at the Entry Control Point (ECP) over seas, and when I would come off of a 4 or 5 day combat logistical patrol (CLP) I would get pulled over for taking my helmet off to dry my sweaty head.

They actually enforce the speed limits overseas on little pretend dirt roads in the middle of no where. When everyone is trying to fight a war the MP's are pulling them over...

WTF??

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:54:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yes you will, that is pretty much the entire make up of your responsibilities. Sure there are dependants and contractors, but you want to be an MP and say you won't write service members.... bullshit. Nothing against you and how you conduct business now, but let's be realistic here.

I'm not saying I wouldn't write any. But I can't see writing people for dumb ass shit. Just like I don't write people for bs now.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

At the lower ranks E1-E5 you are sitting on a flightline and watching a plane for 12 hours (rivet counting). At some bases its sitting at a missle silo watching a hole in the ground. At some bases its sitting in a cement bunker watching a fence line. Really boring work. As you get along in rank (E6 and above) its gets better.

I was an AF Medic, but our dorms were next to the SPs (I'm an old fart.)
The majority that I knew hated it, but they were mostly on the Security side (rivet counters) and not the LE side.

My NCOIC was always threatening us with "Don't mess up or we'll make you an SP..."

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:56:37 AM EDT
[#30]
If you do decide to go, start running and getting into shape. Even if you are in decent shape, get in better.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:37:22 AM EDT
[#31]
US AIR FORCE OATH OF ENLISTMENT
"I, (State your name), swear to sign away 4 years of my life to the UNITED STATES AIR FORCE because I know I couldn't hack it in the Army, because the Marines frighten me, and because I am afraid of water over waist-deep. I swear to sit behind a desk. I also swear not to do any form of real exercise, but promise to defend our bike-riding test as a valid form of exercise. I promise to walk around calling everyone by their first name because I find it amusing to annoy the other services. I will have a better quality of life than those around me and will, at all times, be sure to make them aware of that fact. After completion of "Basic Training", I will be a lean, mean, donut-eating, Lazy-Boy sitting, civilian-wearing-blue-clothes, Chair-borne Ranger. I will believe I am superior to all others and will make an effort to clean the knife before stabbing the next person in the back. I will annoy those around me, and will go home early every day. So Help Me God!"

_____ Signature

_____ Date
US ARMY OATH OF ENLISTMENT
"I, Rambo, swear to sign away 4 years of my mediocre life to the UNITED STATES ARMY because I couldn't score high enough on the ASVAB to get into the Air Force, I'm not tough enough for the Marines, and the Navy won't take me because I can't swim. I will wear camouflage every day and tuck my trousers into my boots because I can't figure out how to use blousing straps. I promise to wear my uniform 24 hours a day even when I have a date. I will continue to tell myself that I am a fierce killing machine because my Drill Sergeant told me I am, despite the fact that the only action I will see is a Court-Martial for sexual harassment. I acknowledge the fact that I will make E-8 in my first year of service, and vow to maintain that it is because I scored perfect on my PT test. After completion of my Sexual.....er.....I mean "Basic Training, " I will attend a different Army school every other month and return knowing less than I did when I left. On my first trip home after Boot Camp, I will walk around like I am cool and propose to my 9th grade sweetheart. I will make my wife stay home because if I let her out she might leave me for a better-looking Air Force guy. Should she leave me twelve times, I will continue to take her back. While at work, I will maintain a look of knowledge while getting absolutely nothing accomplished. I will arrive to work every day at 1000 hrs because of morning PT and leave everyday at 1300 to report back to "COMPANY." I understand that I will undergo no training whatsoever that will help me get a job upon separation, and will end up working construction with my friends from high school. I will brag to everyone about the Army giving me $30, 000 for college, but will be unable to use it because I can't pass a placement exam. So Help Me God!"

_____ Signature

_____ Date
US NAVY OATH OF ENLISTMENT
"I, Top Gun, in lieu of going to prison, swear to sign away 4 years of my life to the UNITED STATES NAVY, because I want to hang out with Marines without actually having to BE one of them, because I thought the Air Force was too "corporate, " because I didn't want to actually live in dirt like the Army, and because I thought, "Hey, I like to swim...why not?" I promise to wear clothes that went out of style in 1976 and to have my name stenciled on the butt of every pair of pants I own. I understand that I will be mistaken for the Good Humor Man during summer, and for Nazi Waffen SS during the winter. I will strive to use a different language than the rest of the English-speaking world, using words like "deck, bulkhead, cover, gee dunk, scuttlebutt, scuttle and head," when I reallymean "floor, wall, hat, candy, water fountain, hole in wall and toilet." I will take great pride in the fact that all Navy acronyms, rank, and insignia, and everything else for that matter, are completely different from the other services and make absolutely no sense whatsoever. I will muster, whatever that is, at 0700 every morning unless I am buddy-buddy with the Chief, in which case I will show up around 0930. I vow to hone my coffee cup-handling skills to the point that I can stand up in a kayak being tossed around in a typhoon, and still not spill a drop. I consent to being promoted and subsequently busted at least twice per fiscal year. I realize that, once selected for Chief, I am required to submit myself to the sick, and quite possibly illegal, whims of my newfound "colleagues." So Help Me Neptune!"

______ Signature

______ Date
US MARINE CORPS OATH OF ENLISTMENT
"I, (make up a name the police won't recognize), swear..uhhhh ....high-and-tight....grunt...cammies....kill....fix bayonets....charge....slash ....dig....burn....blowup....ugh...Air Force women....beer.....sailors' wives..... air strikes....yes SIR!....whiskey....liberty call....salute....Ooorah Gunny.... grenades...women....OORAH! So Help Me Chesty PULLER!"

X____ Thumb Print

XX _________ Teeth Marks

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:02:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Join the French Foreign Legon.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:48:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

*Second, don't share your medical history. You've never so much as had a cold in your life. Trust me...it'll save you ridiculous amounts of time.

Third, don't ask Arfcom. Put on your big girl panties and walk into the nearest recruiting office.

*Naturally this does not apply if you're mentally retarded, have a Special Hand, twitch uncontrollably, pee the bed, sleepwalk, or suck cock.

no longer a problem thank goodness I'm not american, if you're a cock-jockey, you're still no-go over here
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:59:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lea-DURRRRRR-Ship
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:00:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

At the lower ranks E1-E5 you are sitting on a flightline and watching a plane for 12 hours (rivet counting). At some bases its sitting at a missle silo watching a hole in the ground. At some bases its sitting in a cement bunker watching a fence line. Really boring work. As you get along in rank (E6 and above) its gets better. There is a lot of AF SF here. I'm sure they will be along to tell you way more. The only interaction I have with them is ordering stuff for them and walking by them at an ECP and they want to look at my RAB. Military bases are known for being pretty safe. Not a lot of crime. So even patrolling (LE minded side) is pretty boring.  

Some love it and some hate it. My nephew is SF and he hated Korea. I loved Korea, but I wasn't a cop. He is at Hickam now and says its better than Korea but he is still getting out.

E-5 counting rivets? Must have been a good troop....
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:05:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Congrats on doing logistical patrols, Hero.

You joined the Army, and the Army says you need you're kevlar/ACH/MICH while in a tactical vehicle. Don't like it, join the Air Force and drive a humvee in a patrol cap.

Sounds like the MP/SF that pulled you over was a dick, but if you gave him the same whining your displaying here, than it was a match made in Heaven.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:09:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes you will, that is pretty much the entire make up of your responsibilities. Sure there are dependants and contractors, but you want to be an MP and say you won't write service members.... bullshit. Nothing against you and how you conduct business now, but let's be realistic here.

I'm not saying I wouldn't write any. But I can't see writing people for dumb ass shit. Just like I don't write people for bs now.

Air Force Instructions for base LE is almost always written with the phrase "Patrolman discretion" when issuing citations, so you do have some wiggle room. I personally don't like pulling people over (especially fellow military), but our base has a Federal Correctional Institute and a unique set of problems, so we're directed to "look" for stuff at certain times.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:13:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
US AIR FORCE OATH OF ENLISTMENT
"I, (State your name), swear to sign away 4 years of my life to the UNITED STATES AIR FORCE because I know I couldn't hack it in the Army, because the Marines frighten me, and because I am afraid of water over waist-deep. I swear to sit behind a desk. I also swear not to do any form of real exercise, but promise to defend our bike-riding test as a valid form of exercise. I promise to walk around calling everyone by their first name because I find it amusing to annoy the other services. I will have a better quality of life than those around me and will, at all times, be sure to make them aware of that fact. After completion of "Basic Training", I will be a lean, mean, donut-eating, Lazy-Boy sitting, civilian-wearing-blue-clothes, Chair-borne Ranger. I will believe I am superior to all others and will make an effort to clean the knife before stabbing the next person in the back. I will annoy those around me, and will go home early every day. So Help Me God!"

_____ Signature

_____ Date
US ARMY OATH OF ENLISTMENT
"I, Rambo, swear to sign away 4 years of my mediocre life to the UNITED STATES ARMY because I couldn't score high enough on the ASVAB to get into the Air Force, I'm not tough enough for the Marines, and the Navy won't take me because I can't swim. I will wear camouflage every day and tuck my trousers into my boots because I can't figure out how to use blousing straps. I promise to wear my uniform 24 hours a day even when I have a date. I will continue to tell myself that I am a fierce killing machine because my Drill Sergeant told me I am, despite the fact that the only action I will see is a Court-Martial for sexual harassment. I acknowledge the fact that I will make E-8 in my first year of service, and vow to maintain that it is because I scored perfect on my PT test. After completion of my Sexual.....er.....I mean "Basic Training, " I will attend a different Army school every other month and return knowing less than I did when I left. On my first trip home after Boot Camp, I will walk around like I am cool and propose to my 9th grade sweetheart. I will make my wife stay home because if I let her out she might leave me for a better-looking Air Force guy. Should she leave me twelve times, I will continue to take her back. While at work, I will maintain a look of knowledge while getting absolutely nothing accomplished. I will arrive to work every day at 1000 hrs because of morning PT and leave everyday at 1300 to report back to "COMPANY." I understand that I will undergo no training whatsoever that will help me get a job upon separation, and will end up working construction with my friends from high school. I will brag to everyone about the Army giving me $30, 000 for college, but will be unable to use it because I can't pass a placement exam. So Help Me God!"

_____ Signature

_____ Date
US NAVY OATH OF ENLISTMENT
"I, Top Gun, in lieu of going to prison, swear to sign away 4 years of my life to the UNITED STATES NAVY, because I want to hang out with Marines without actually having to BE one of them, because I thought the Air Force was too "corporate, " because I didn't want to actually live in dirt like the Army, and because I thought, "Hey, I like to swim...why not?" I promise to wear clothes that went out of style in 1976 and to have my name stenciled on the butt of every pair of pants I own. I understand that I will be mistaken for the Good Humor Man during summer, and for Nazi Waffen SS during the winter. I will strive to use a different language than the rest of the English-speaking world, using words like "deck, bulkhead, cover, gee dunk, scuttlebutt, scuttle and head," when I reallymean "floor, wall, hat, candy, water fountain, hole in wall and toilet." I will take great pride in the fact that all Navy acronyms, rank, and insignia, and everything else for that matter, are completely different from the other services and make absolutely no sense whatsoever. I will muster, whatever that is, at 0700 every morning unless I am buddy-buddy with the Chief, in which case I will show up around 0930. I vow to hone my coffee cup-handling skills to the point that I can stand up in a kayak being tossed around in a typhoon, and still not spill a drop. I consent to being promoted and subsequently busted at least twice per fiscal year. I realize that, once selected for Chief, I am required to submit myself to the sick, and quite possibly illegal, whims of my newfound "colleagues." So Help Me Neptune!"

______ Signature

______ Date
US MARINE CORPS OATH OF ENLISTMENT
"I, (make up a name the police won't recognize), swear..uhhhh ....high-and-tight....grunt...cammies....kill....fix bayonets....charge....slash ....dig....burn....blowup....ugh...Air Force women....beer.....sailors' wives..... air strikes....yes SIR!....whiskey....liberty call....salute....Ooorah Gunny.... grenades...women....OORAH! So Help Me Chesty PULLER!"

X____ Thumb Print

XX _________ Teeth Marks

Hahahah!!!!!!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:17:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ummmm....DADT has been repealed.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:24:50 AM EDT
[#40]
I've been out for so long that I don't really have any advice in today's military.  ETA: I got out in 1987 after 6 years active duty.

Good luck in what ever you do.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:36:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Go into AF Civil Engineering become a plumber or electrician. When you get out despite whatever happens you will have a job or if you are smart start your own company. Remember alot of Mil jobs do not translate well to civilian life. Case in point my SIL is AF Senior Master Sergeant been in F16 egress for 17 years he does alot of admin work for the squadron but wonders what the hell he will do when he gets out. On the other hand I was an AF firefighter stayed in six years. Within a year of seperation I had a job with a city of > 500 grand people and retired at  24 years as an Assistant Chief. I went into the AF to be a PJ good thing I washed out due to a bad knee.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:41:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

AF, Coast Guard, Navy, USMC, Army in that order.

The Navy has JCS and special forces command and "SEALS" got to take down Bin Laden.

The Army is the Rodney Dangerfield of .mil.

"We are not worthy" should be the Army motto. How many times has Army lost to Navy in football IN A ROW! and now the NAVY gets to take down the most notorious enemy of good since fucking HITLER!?

Inter-service rivalry, FUCK YEAH!

Shut your whore mouth.

The absolutely irrelevant to the War on Terror Navy has to pretend to be the Army to get into the fight.  Squids wondering around in the desert...  Yeah.

If the Sea Service's claim to fame is football, then that's pretty sad.

A bunch of skinnies in rowboats is about the only "naval" action the mighty USN handles.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:49:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Go into an Intel field-the TS/SCI clearance you get is worth big bucks in the civilian world when you get out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:56:57 AM EDT
[#44]
If you want to be an MP, be an MP.

Dont be an MP because you think it is better for getting into civilian Law Enforcement later down the road.  This is simply not true, but people repeat it... repeatedly.

I lot of the wrong people go into the MP business.  It's a field which often attracts some very specific personality traits, not all of which you always want to be associated with.  You can see that in some of the posts in these threads.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:03:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

this is either really good, or really bad advice, depending on whether or not your non-existent medical conditions EVER come to light later, at a time you would not expect.  While you will spend lots of time getting waivers or exams, it is generally a good idea to be completely honest with the recruiters and doctors.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:07:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Enjoy your boss....
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:12:06 AM EDT
[#47]
You're already a reserve deputy, so the LE experience is not that great for you. Find something that will benefit you when you're done, particularly if you want an LE career after the military. You'll have to wait to get into a helo program, but if you can get in, you will be very desirable when you look for a new career.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:15:46 AM EDT
[#48]
It's a little different than TV.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:17:17 AM EDT
[#49]
USMC Aviation.  

Cool uniforms and the ability to shoot stuff from the sky
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:18:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Not so much on that last one any more
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top