Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2011 10:31:38 PM EDT
Ok, Im using the McDonalds nutritional sheet as a starting point to weigh and ponder stuff.....

Preimum Southwest Salad with Crispy Chicken has.... 20g total fat (4g saturated 0 trans fat) and 55 mg Cholesterol

Premium Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken has.... 9g total fat (3g saturated 0 trans fat) and 70 mg Cholesterol
Common sense tells me grilled should be better, but I see it has MORE Cholesterol.

WTF??? Yes I went to the Dr last week and am now under the gun to improve my diet & numbers.
Big Mac is 29g fat & 75 mg Cholesterol.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to improve your numbers of avoid McDonalds and make all of your own meals ahead of time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Cholesterol dissolves in the oil used in cooking the fried chicken, reducing its concentration.  It is as simple as that.

Vegetable oil contains almost no cholesterol.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Reading the calorie sheet while eating at McDonalds is like dividing by zero.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yes I went to the Dr last week and am now under the gun to improve my diet & numbers.

You should be limiting simple carbohydrates instead of worrying about the cholesterol in McDonald's food, which you shouldn't be eating anyway.

Saying that eating cholesterol will raise the cholesterol in your blood is like saying eating chicken wings will make you fly.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I went to the Dr last week and am now under the gun to improve my diet & numbers.

You should be limiting simple carbohydrates instead of worrying about the cholesterol in McDonald's food, which you shouldn't be eating anyway.

Saying that eating cholesterol will raise the cholesterol in your blood is like saying eating chicken wings will make you fly.

Interesting analogy but amazingly spot on.  Few people understand the action of peptic enzymes on protein, amylases on starches and lipases on triglycerides.  You could survive on a diet without protein or triglycerides, getting only essential fatty and amino acids with simple sugars (glucose).

The war on cholesterol started when arterial plaque was chemically analyzed, showing appreciable concentrations of cholesterol.  But composition be damned, WHY does it build in the arteries, especially the coronary arteries, is the real question.  Vasoconstrictors like nicotine cause hardening of the smooth muscle layers, the stress from systolic blood pressure causes this constricted muscle to be damaged, forming an anchor point for plaque.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I think fat will win, cholesterol is too easily defeated.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Reading the calorie sheet while eating at McDonalds is like dividing by zero.

^
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:44:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting analogy but amazingly spot on.  Few people understand the action of peptic enzymes on protein, amylases on starches and lipases on triglycerides.  You could survive on a diet without protein or triglycerides, getting only essential fatty and amino acids with simple sugars (glucose).

The war on cholesterol started when arterial plaque was chemically analyzed, showing appreciable concentrations of cholesterol.  But composition be damned, WHY does it build in the arteries, especially the coronary arteries, is the real question.  Vasoconstrictors like nicotine cause hardening of the smooth muscle layers, the stress from systolic blood pressure causes this constricted muscle to be damaged, forming an anchor point for plaque.

Humans cannot survive (in the long run) without the 10 essential amino acids. The other 10 can be made from the essential 10, but those need to be in the diet. Catabolism will provide enough amino acids for a short time, but not indefinitely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top