Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2011 7:27:24 PM EDT
Link

The White House last week began circulating its legislative proposal for transportation reauthorization that included provisions to add toll booths to existing freeways and impose a tax for every mile driven. The "Transportation Opportunities Act" for the first time gave the Obama administration's full approval to the concept of an added charge on drivers for the use of roads throughout the country, including on existing, untolled freeways in major metropolitan areas.[snip]

"I can weigh in on it and say that it is not and will not be the policy of the Obama administration," then-Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said at the time.

That would change as the White House plan would set up a six-year project to address the technological challenges to establishing a system to track drivers for the purpose of imposing a tax for each mile driven

LaHood took a swing at this in 2009 and got smacked around for it, since then pet economists and lobbyists have been working over Congressional highway funding hearings regularly with plans for a pay-per-mile system that requires tracking every driver.  There are competing transponder and GPS system proposals, but either way somebody has to keep a database of when and where you drove every day in order to calculate your bill and portion out the funds.  

You can definitely expect to get raped if you're driving an SUV and subsidized if you're driving a green machine, btw.  The Chevy Volt will be successful and the powers that be don't care if they have to bankrupt you to do it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck. That. Shit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Does this mean that they will be dropping all of the existing taxes on gas?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#3]
guess that means i'm gonna be biking a lot of places if that happens. I can barely afford to drive to school as it is
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#4]
The Transportation Opportunities Act?  Rand herself couldn't have named it better.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Won't happen.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Does this mean that they will be dropping all of the existing taxes on gas?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Yea, right

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I'll quit taking the Interstates.  I always like the country roads better.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Won't happen.

Just like DADT's repeal right?

Seriously don't put it past the useful idiots in washington. The constitution, common sense, and the will of the people mean nothing to the party in power.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Obama; Now, More Than Ever, America's Undertaker

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]
If I use more fuel, I pay more taxes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fuck. That. Shit.

This^^
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#12]
They don't really want all of it, just a little of it... for now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Not much longer till we start to hear, "Papers Comrade" to cross into other states
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#14]
"And, Comrade, exactly why were you in Omaha on the 17th of last month?"
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The Transportation Opportunities Act?  Rand herself couldn't have named it better.  

Yeah, I love the names of these things.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Just in time for 2012.  That will go over like a fart in church.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not much longer till we start to hear, "Papers Comrade" to cross into other states

This.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Every road is already a toll road. That's what fuel taxes are. If I'm paying at the booth, then I guess we can forget the fuel tax, right?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why should you and I have to pay road taxes, not based on miles driven - but on fuel used, while a commie libtard in a Nissan Leaf doesn't?

How do we fix that?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't have a problem with having to pay to use roads. If there wasn't already a sales tax, a fuel tax, an income tax, etc. etc. etc. etc.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank god we have a republican congress to put gridlock in place. Fuck that cock gobblin mother fucker
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Not going to happen.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Every road is already a toll road. That's what fuel taxes are. If I'm paying at the booth, then I guess we can forget the fuel tax, right?

No, they almost never retire excise taxes.  The problem arises because they don't use proper accounting and expensing.  Here in Texas, a full 25% of motor vehicle fuel tax revenue is spent on education.  So the roads suffer, requiring the Texas Highway Department to turn roads into tolls.  But that didn't work so the governor threatens privately owned toll roads.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why should you and I have to pay road taxes, not based on miles driven - but on fuel used, while a commie libtard in a Nissan Leaf doesn't?

How do we fix that?

notsureifserious.jpg

multiple times in one post.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, just like the patriot act.

Clever names that keep anyone from voting against it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do we fix that?

Put the expected cost of lost fuel taxes into the purchase price.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Jebus.  Forget a real job, I don't think Obungo could even handle SimCity on easy.  How the fuck does he expect commerce to happen?

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

..and don't forget your permission slip signed by your mayor to leave your county.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Just drive offroad next to highways.  Hey, they can't tax you because you aren't using the road.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#30]
My truck was lost in a boating accident.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#31]
That should really stimulate the economy.

FBHO and his minions.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Big Brother is here and is here to stay.  All hail the New World Order (and it stinks).
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#33]
But he killed Osama Bin Laden for America! Don't you guys trust him yet?

What more does this poor man have to do to win over the radical right-wing teabaggers?

This thread is clearly racist.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#34]
The Chevy Volt will be the new Trabi.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#35]
It goes live in Seattle in a couple months.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, fuck a lot-a that shit.

So... any special reason why this came out the day after FartBongo came out with his big, "I personally threw on my kit and rolled into Pakistan after UBL last week and scored a big one for America" speech last night?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do we fix that?

notsureifserious.jpg

Yes, I'm serious.  If I drive my old diesel SUV, I pay $11.45 to go ~450 miles.  A guy driving a brand new Honda Civic pays $4.37 to drive the same distance.  A guy driving a Nissan Leaf pays $0.  Why should I pay more to use the same road?

Now, is GPS tracking of ever car in the US the right answer?  No, absolutely not.  But what is?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Long haul truckers will just love this.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Jebus.  Forget a real job, I don't think Obungo could even handle SimCity on easy.  How the fuck does he expect commerce to happen?

hope & change.  ™
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I already spend over $500 a year in tolls  Besides, aren't we already taxed for driving on the roads?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do we fix that?

notsureifserious.jpg

Yes, I'm serious.  If I drive my old diesel SUV, I pay $11.45 to go ~450 miles.  A guy driving a brand new Honda Civic pays $4.37 to drive the same distance.  A guy driving a Nissan Leaf pays $0.  Why should I pay more to use the same road?

Now, is GPS tracking of ever car in the US the right answer?  No, absolutely not.  But what is?

I guess I didn't understand why a guy who drives a Leaf is a communist.

As for the Leaf driver not paying taxes, yeah, its not technically fair.  But right now, all electric cars are .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the total cars on the road.  It's something that won't need to be addressed for years.

We all pay way way way more taxes for stuff we don't use.  Public schools comes to mind.  I don't have any kids, yet I pay taxes for all the legal and illegal kids to go to school.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

As for the Leaf driver not paying taxes, yeah, its not technically fair.  But right now, all electric cars are .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the total cars on the road.  It's something that won't need to be addressed for years.

We all pay way way way more taxes for stuff we don't use.  Public schools comes to mind.  I don't have any kids, yet I pay taxes for all the legal and illegal kids to go to school.

I didn't say a guy who drives a Leaf is a communist.  I said why should I pay while a commie driving a Leaf isn't.  That doesn't mean ALL Leaf driver's are communists.

I understand that right now, not many people are driving tax "free", but the fact remains that fuel mileage keeps improving.  This means people with more fuel efficient vehicles pay less to use the same road.  In the not too distant future, many people will be paying zero.  This is a fact that will have to be addressed.  How are we going to do it, if not on a per mile basis?  Is GPS tracking the way to make that happen?  FUCK NO.  But it has to happen some how....
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't say a guy who drives a Leaf is a communist.  I said why should I pay while a commie driving a Leaf isn't.  That doesn't mean ALL Leaf driver's are communists.

I understand that right now, not many people are driving tax "free", but the fact remains that fuel mileage keeps improving.  This means people with more fuel efficient vehicles pay less to use the same road.  In the not too distant future, many people will be paying zero.  This is a fact that will have to be addressed.  How are we going to do it, if not on a per mile basis?  Is GPS tracking the way to make that happen?  FUCK NO.  But it has to happen some how....A Utah senator is proposing charging a fee to owners of hybrid and
electric cars to make their drivers — who use less gasoline and,
therefore, pay less gas taxes — help fund the roads they use.

"A Utah senator is proposing charging a fee to owners of hybrid and
electric cars to make their drivers — who use less gasoline and,
therefore, pay less gas taxes — help fund the roads they use."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/51715747-90/cars-electric-gas-hybrid.html.csp

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It rolls off the tongue better then The Were Going To Tax Your Asses To Death But Till That Day Were Going To Keep Track Of You For Your Own Good Act.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I wonder what other stupid shit they are thinking up in DC.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Sounds Orwellian.  Not just the nature of what they're proposing, but also the name of the damn thing.  "No,no, no, it's not a tax...it's an opportunity..."

I bet those cases involving the tracking of individuals just assumed a greater importance.  

I wonder what power in the Constitution they will use to justify this crap or if they will even bother justifying this programme.  Our taxes today are already severely intrusive (Adam Smith would be shaking his head right now; he had a section in Wealth of Nations talking about how things like our income tax as it is executed and other intrusive or oppressive taxes are bad for many reasons).  

If they can justify tracking your every move, every transaction, etc. and restricting and punishing what you do as they please and get away with it, in the long run, there will be nothing they cannot do to you; the Constitution may as well not exist to these people and to anyone who supports them.  This sort of policy, besides being economically unsound, goes against basic principles of government and is a threat to our liberties, not to mention an affront to rule of law, all in the name of chasing some sort of misguided policy end (at least one would hope that is the only name, i.e. that they're just being stupid and not also having nefarious purposes).

The sad thing is that the GOP, at least those who lead it and constitute the bulk of its elected and appointed ranks (in office), have shifted so far to the left since 1964 that they probably support this deep inside to some degree and the chances of getting these sorts of acts repealed is probably minimal, unless there is a clear political benefit to them that involves remaining in power.  Disgusting.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Ban human tracking even when it is unintentional or the result of credit card transactions, cell phones, gps, toll booths etc..
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sounds Orwellian.  Not just the nature of what they're proposing, but also the name of the damn thing.  "No,no, no, it's not a tax...it's an opportunity..."

I bet those cases involving the tracking of individuals just assumed a greater importance.  

I wonder what power in the Constitution they will use to justify this crap or if they will even bother justifying this programme.  Our taxes today are already severely intrusive (Adam Smith would be shaking his head right now; he had a section in Wealth of Nations talking about how things like our income tax as it is executed and other intrusive or oppressive taxes are bad for many reasons).  

If they can justify tracking your every move, every transaction, etc. and restricting and punishing what you do as they please and get away with it, in the long run, there will be nothing they cannot do to you; the Constitution may as well not exist to these people and to anyone who supports them.  This sort of policy, besides being economically unsound, goes against basic principles of government and is a threat to our liberties, not to mention an affront to rule of law, all in the name of chasing some sort of misguided policy end (at least one would hope that is the only name, i.e. that they're just being stupid and not also having nefarious purposes).

The sad thing is that the GOP, at least those who lead it and constitute the bulk of its elected and appointed ranks (in office), have shifted so far to the left since 1964 that they probably support this deep inside to some degree and the chances of getting these sorts of acts repealed is probably minimal, unless there is a clear political benefit to them that involves remaining in power.  Disgusting.

Both sides of the isle need to go.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#49]
These people are literally fucking insane...
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Link

The White House last week began circulating its legislative proposal for transportation reauthorization that included provisions to add toll booths to existing freeways and impose a tax for every mile driven. The "Transportation Opportunities Act" for the first time gave the Obama administration's full approval to the concept of an added charge on drivers for the use of roads throughout the country, including on existing, untolled freeways in major metropolitan areas.[snip]

"I can weigh in on it and say that it is not and will not be the policy of the Obama administration," then-Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said at the time.

That would change as the White House plan would set up a six-year project to address the technological challenges to establishing a system to track drivers for the purpose of imposing a tax for each mile driven

LaHood took a swing at this in 2009 and got smacked around for it, since then pet economists and lobbyists have been working over Congressional highway funding hearings regularly with plans for a pay-per-mile system that requires tracking every driver.  There are competing transponder and GPS system proposals, but either way somebody has to keep a database of when and where you drove every day in order to calculate your bill and portion out the funds.  

You can definitely expect to get raped if you're driving an SUV and subsidized if you're driving a green machine, btw.  The Chevy Volt will be successful and the powers that be don't care if they have to bankrupt you to do it.

You know, every time I post about subjects like this the Cool Kids make tinfoil jokes. I warned this was going to happen several years ago. The GPS based taxing of mileage is already being tested and it was only stopped (the the state of Oregon) because they couldn't figure out a way to not tax drivers who were outside the state's borders-the .fedgov doesn't have to worry about borders.

It's not a coincidence that Government Motors has made Onstar available for all vehicles now.... In 10 years it will be a serious crime to drive a vehicle without a GPS based locator. Mark my words, YOU DON'T FUCK WITH THE MAN'S MONEY.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top