Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2011 6:55:57 PM EDT
I see a lot of talk of how Obama is taking a lot of personal "credit" for the killing of Usama..............

I am called to think of how leaders handle situations.

I met the C/O of the USS Cole today. Com. Kirk Lippold, the man who was in charge of the Cole when it was attacked by the terrorists in Yemen.

I got a lot of inside baseball on what really happened that day.

and the thing that came out of his mouth most often was praise for his crew, how his crew handled the situation, how his crew adapted, even with all communications inop on the ship, they ran paper notes to key people with instructions and info,how one of three emergency fire control stations was destroyed, and his crew adapted and made it work, he even gave credit to the design of the ship  and the folks that repaired it and got it sea worthy again. I never once heard him say the word "I" in terms of self importance or accomplishments.

we parted, and I felt good, like I met a good man today.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
WIKI:
President Bill Clinton declared, "If, as it now appears, this was an act of terrorism, it was a despicable and cowardly act. We will find out who was responsible and hold them accountable". Some critics have pointed out that, under U.S. law, an attack against a military target does not meet the legal definition of terrorism[25] (see: 22 USC § 2656f(d)(2)).

On January 19, 2001, The U.S. Navy completed and released its Judge Advocate General Manual (JAGMAN) investigation of the incident, concluding that Cole's commanding officer Commander Kirk Lippold "acted reasonably in adjusting his force protection posture based on his assessment of the situation that presented itself" when Cole arrived in Aden to refuel. The JAGMAN also concluded that "the commanding officer of Cole did not have the specific intelligence, focused training, appropriate equipment or on-scene security support to effectively prevent or deter such a determined, preplanned assault on his ship" and recommended significant changes in Navy procedures. In spite of this finding, Lippold was subsequently denied promotion and retired at the same rank of commander in 2007.[26]
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
from what he tells, he followed every security protocol  and as he said, the boat that blew the hole was a garbage scow, similar to the same ones that had just picked up the trash and was returning for the last load, but the boat had been switched just prior to the last run. all three garbage scows had clearance to approach. so there was nothing unusual about the boat approaching.

it's interesting to hear it from someone who was there, and not the media or hearsayers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I was surpised Obama didn't thank Bill Clinton for letting Osama walk free years ago in Sudan.  I wonder if Holder was involved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top