Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2002 1:44:25 PM EDT
anybody left eye dominate and right handed or vise-versa?

Took the wife to the range today and found out that she was.

Any tips?

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#1]
There is nothing wrong with this.  I am left eye dominate, and would have been left handed...
except for mama[:D].

As it turns out, the only thing I do left handed is shoot rifles.  I used to catch alot of ribbing at the tactical matches until they witnessed my transition drill.

Let her try shooting the rifle/shotgun left handed.  It might be unusual at first, but with her dominate left eye, it should be easier.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
yes,that's exactly the way that I shoot.I shoot my rifles lefty,bow lefty and I shoot my handguns with both,but I prefer and are better with my right hand,for handgunning,as it is my strong side.I find it helpful to practice snapcaps and a laser equiped gun,if you can.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm left eye dominate and right handed.  I just close my left eye and aim using my right eye.  But now I just found out I have an astigmatism in my right eye, which means that due to the shape of the eye the light is focus in two points instead of one giving me slightly blurry vision regardless of contacts or glasses.  I guess the best thing for me to do would be to learn to shoot left handed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#5]
ME! It makes it tuff to shoot.

If you piss me off the guy next to you is f*ed[BD]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]
My FTO called it "goofy" eyed.
I can shoot lefty fine but I'm mostly right handed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in that boat too. Right handed, left eye dominate.

Got so mad yesterday at not being able to hit anything right-handed I swapped over and tried it lefty and got good results.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I am left eye dominate and right handed.  My dad found this out when he was first teaching me to shoot.  So, I shoot long guns left handed and handgun right handed.

I can now shoot long guns both right and left handed with equal hit percentage.  This is only after a large amount of practice.

I would just have your wife shoot left handed.  She will get used to it.  After she is comfortable with the left handed shooting then teach right handed.

medcop
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#10]
used to compete in service rifle highpower back in the 1980's and have always shot right handed.
then wanting to get back into competing again last sept. so after getting a nice ar15 to shoot service rifle matches the first thing before I shot a match was to go to a amu clinic and found out that I was left eye dominate all these years and should be shooting left handed instead of right.
decided to keep shooting right handed untill the winter break this year to see how far I can go shooting with the wrong eye. every match has been at the expert nra or higher level and have shot about 15 matches that way so far and the last 4 for record have been in the master range of scores including a 760-16x sat. at the co. state championships. with any luck I will be rated soon a master with the wrong 48 year old eye and then switch over to left handed for next year and see if I can do better.
it can be done with practice.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm also left eye, right hand dominant. I shoot better left handed with a rifle as long as I have sufficient time to take a shot. If I need to shoot at a rapid pace I shoot right handed. I shoot handguns and pump/semi shotguns right handed. Shooting left handed feels about the same as throwing a baseball left handed, it just doesn't feel or look correct.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#12]
LH - L eye dominate. Shoot long guns RH, handguns LH.  Pretty screwed up.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Another left eye here.  Be sure to teach your wife to shoot lefty with a newer AR that has the brass deflector built in.  I got hot brass down my shirt once in basic, and it was no fun at all.  The plastic brass deflectors are junk, IMHO.

BTW, Left Eye Dominance means that she is much smarter than you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#14]
This might be off the topic but I heard somewhere that you can tell if you are right handed or left handed by looking at your thumb nail.  The one with wider thumbnail is your dominant hand at least by birth.  My parents used to tell me that I was lefty but forced me to become a righty due the cultural reason.  I thought it was a joke.  But my left thumb nail is wider.  Doh!  How do I check the dominant eye?  If someone knows, please share.....
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Count me in.  My eye even gets tired when I am scope shooting.

It sucks.

I am fine on handgun, because I shoot with both eyes open.  It is only rifle shoot that gives me a problem.

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#16]
If she wears contacts and really wants to change her eye dominance to right eye have her wear only her right contact for a week. At first it almost makes you sick but after a while you change over to right eye dominance, worked for me anyway.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This might be off the topic but I heard somewhere that you can tell if you are right handed or left handed by looking at your thumb nail.  The one with wider thumbnail is your dominant hand at least by birth.  My parents used to tell me that I was lefty but forced me to become a righty due the cultural reason.  I thought it was a joke.  But my left thumb nail is wider.  Doh!  How do I check the dominant eye?  If someone knows, please share.....
View Quote

Make a triangle with your hands.  Focus on the triangle as you move your hands towards you.  It will move towards one side over the other- that side is your dominant eye.  

Or something like that.  [>:/]

Anyone care to elaborate on the aforementioned?
View Quote
 If what you said is correct, then I'm left eye dominant.  I'm also left handed if this stuff about thumb nail is true.  DOH!
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm beginning to believe there are varying degrees of this problem. While I think I'm slightly left eye dominant while being right handed, if your right eye is over the rear sight it seems it would almost force your right eye to be dominant in that situation? Does for me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How do you check eye dominance?  Which is the stronger eye?
For me, the weaker eye is the one I can close most easily.  Which eye do you wink with?  That is your weaker eye.
View Quote

As I understand it, you point at an object across the room with both eyes open. Then close one eye at a time and see which eye is open when your finger is on the object.
That is your dominant eye.

The triangle thing didn't work for me, ended up right in the center of my face.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Left eye, right hand here.

I use both eyes with handhuns and I use red dots on my shotgun and AR, again with both eyes open. With scopes I just close my left eye.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I have been shooting RH w/left eye dominant for over 40yrs, shotguns and rifles. As long as you close your left eye when shooting a rifle, scope or open sights, there should be no problem. When wing shooting with a shotgun most good shots keep both eyes open anyway.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#24]
It's a trip to see all you folks with RH/LE dominance!Thought I was the only one that way...LOL!!!COOL!!I ALSO shoot pistols RH,but use my LE to sight with....(it works for me)

QUESTION:How many of y'all notice that right-handed guns(other than the direction of ejection)seem to put a LH person with an ADVANTAGE over a RH person when it comes to operation of MOST RH weapons(when benchrest shooting;my LH stays on the pistol grip while my RH operates the bolt alowing me faster follow-up shots)

Any of you know what I'm talking about?
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's a trip to see all you folks with RH/LE dominance!Thought I was the only one that way...LOL!!!COOL!!I ALSO shoot pistols RH,but use my LE to sight with....(it works for me)

QUESTION:How many of y'all notice that right-handed guns(other than the direction of ejection)seem to put a LH person with an ADVANTAGE over a RH person when it comes to operation of MOST RH weapons(when benchrest shooting;my LH stays on the pistol grip while my RH operates the bolt alowing me faster follow-up shots)

Any of you know what I'm talking about?
View Quote

I know exactly what you're talking about.  I never could understand why anyone would buy a left-handed action.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Does she wear contacts ??

My wife has been right-eye dominate for years.  Shoots that way.  Just this year she had her prescription for her contacts updated.  She is now RIGHT eye dominate.

Heh   she loves it !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top