Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2011 12:47:20 PM EDT
I need to purchase and install a garage door opener for my new house.  The builder is prewiring the electric and wires for the sensors, so that part is taken care of.  I am not worried about the installations, but I need to know what brand is good better best?  What size/hp I will need (12 foot garage door for a double car garage)?   What else do I need to know and consider?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Lift-Master by Chamberlain is what we have, and it's our first house with a garage.  Only issue we had was one of the sensors got out of whack, but there is a little wing nut you turn to align the sensor.

Oh, and the overhead light is burned out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
genie screw drive.

less moving parts than chain or belt, quieter, and in my experience, the most reliable.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#3]
consider a screw-drive rather than a chain-drive.  Much stronger.

ETA beaten.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Not your personal army.

Sorry, I rent.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Chamberlain Liftmaster is what I have too. 1/3 hp. Only had the house a few months, but so far, so good.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Have a craftsman garage door opener (1/2 HP) and it's a piece of shit. this is my 3rd (this year) because I keep swapping them out because of warranty issues. There's a plastic piece on the top of it that separates the chain and keeps it from getting tangled or caught on itself. The chain grinds this piece to the point of the piece in question snap in two quite violently after time. Also, the gear on top that turns the chain is only put on by adhesive that doesn't last too long.

I've noticed the plastic piece grinding and watched my second garage door opener very closely before it died. The day my garage door shit out my plastic separator was snapped (wasn't the week before) and the gear on top was still attached to the chain but hanging off the guide rail.

Poor broke college kid so I'm warrantying them out left and right until I can save enough to buy another garage door opener. Damn thing renamed my ammo fund to garage door opener fund.

ETA: chain driven.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
genie screw drive.

less moving parts than chain or belt, quieter, and in my experience, the most reliable.

My personal favorite.

Installed dozens of them over the years for customers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Liftmaster 1/3hp chain-drive is what was in our house when we bought it.  They haven't given us any problems except for one not receiving remote signals consistently.  I extended its antenna wire, and it started working much better. If a screw-drive is quieter, I'd look into that.  Mine are pretty loud.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lift-Master by Chamberlain is what we have, and it's our first house with a garage.  Only issue we had was one of the sensors got out of whack, but there is a little wing nut you turn to align the sensor.

Oh, and the overhead light is burned out.

This.  Liftmaster shaft mounted drive.  Nothing hanging overhead in your garage but the door.  The best.

I had two Genie screw drives prior to this.  Both were very good products and extremely silent, very fast operation.  The better models have lifetime in-home service.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Ours is a chain drive.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
genie screw drive.

agree
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I never understood the whole "breaking" thing... While the door itself is falling apart(wood is rotting, time for something new), the opener itself(forget the brand) is still going strong after probably 20 years, even with virtually no maintenance. Chain is rusty as hell. Still works. Go figure
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Liftmaster 1/2hp belt drive. I work for a garage co  we have used liftmaster company wide for years they have very few problems.  The genies we used to use were giant p.o.s screw together rails, just crap in general so ya we dont use them anymore.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Anybody like the Jackshaft openers?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#16]
i have the wayne dalton one from 5 years ago built into the bar, it's awesome but not as smooth as the traditional ones in the middle of the garage.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#17]
i want one that automatically tries to close at 9pm.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anybody like the Jackshaft openers?

IF you have clearance issues then those are ideal but if a normal op will fit just go with that. The jackshafts dont offer any real advantage otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
genie screw drive.

Installed mine 13 years ago.  Not one problem.  Except for the batteries in the remotes crapping out.(expensive little batts.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top