Posted: 5/2/2011 12:00:14 PM EDT
Who gets it?

Will it end up on gunbroker?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#1]
probably end up in the basement of the national archives
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Pawn Stars will give someone, like, five bucks for it, seriously.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

do you have any paperwork with it?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

...if they know a professional who's into OBL's Krinks.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Well it would have to be permanently de-milled before it entered the US. For the children's sake.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Rick: Unfortunately my expert in terrorist krinks was recently killed, so the best I can do is offer you $5.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Who gets it?

Should it be in the Smithsonian if our guys get it?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well it would have to be permanently de-milled before it entered the US. For the children's sake.

Sadam's g18 wasnt.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rick: Unfortunately my expert in terrorist krinks was recently killed, so the best I can do is offer you $5.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I was so surprised when I read this article in the Washington Post of all places.

Dressed To Kill

From Kabul to Kandahar, It's Not Who You Are That Matters, but What You Shoot

By Stephen Hunter

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, November 26, 2001; Page C01

You won't see guns like that carried by the Taliban, no sir. Look at
Osama bin Laden's gun. It's visible in any of a dozen pictures and it's
tubeless, screenless and grenade-launcherless. But it, too, is not only a
gun. It's a gun with a coded message; you can read this guy like a
book.

He's certainly no Captain Winters from HBO's "Band of Brothers," who,
despite his natural genius for soldiering, insisted on carrying the line
soldier's prosaic M1 all the way to Berchtesgarten. No, bin Laden's
narcissism –– dead giveaway to a fake tough guy –– mandates that he make
a fashion statement.

Any idiot knows that was an AK-47 leaning against the cave wall behind
bin Laden during his videotaped response to the American bombing. Yes,
the AK-47, the most famous of the liberation firearms distributed
globally by the Soviet Union and its client states during the Cold War.
There may be 50 million of them floating around the globe today.

Except it wasn't. But if you're one of the idiots, don't feel bad; you
belong with the other 99.9 percent of the population that doesn't know
anything about guns. Bin Laden's rifle wasn't an AK-47 at all, but one
of its descendants, an AK-74, and of a particular modification that
included, for portability and ease of handling, a very short barrel and a
folding skeletonized stock and a flash suppressor. It's called a
Krinkov.

It's actually a hybrid. If you crossed a classic 7.62mm x 39 Soviet
AK-47 with an American 5.56mm NATO M4, its natural antagonist in about a
million firefights in about 75 wars, insurrections and special-ops
tiffs, you'd get the AK-74, which is the AK-47 mechanism reconfigured to
fire the smaller-caliber, high-velocity round. Then you trick it up; by
cutting the barrel and adding that folding stock, you get a Krinkov,
which is the current hot lick among people who want to be noticed. It
was designed for airborne troops. If you're not going to be jumping out
of airplanes, it doesn't do anything for you that the 47 won't.

Bin Laden knows this: For him the gun isn't just a weapon, it's a
symbol. He's making a statement, as with the curved ceremonial dagger
that hangs from his belt when he's all duded-up in his white finery. He
is making a claim: I am of the elite. In other words, he is saying
something so Western it suggests the soul-deep depth of his hypocrisy.
He is saying: I am so cool.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-218439.html
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I think Stephen Hunter knows a thing or two about guns
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In original condition, these would go for $20,000 easy.  Here's the problem.  See this green tape right here?  Obviously whoever had this before you tried to restore it and in the process have seriously hurt the value.  The highest I could go is $350.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In original condition, these would go for $20,000 easy.  Here's the problem.  See this green tape right here?  Obviously whoever had this before you tried to restore it and in the process have seriously hurt the value.  The highest I could go is $350.  $5

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#14]
The producers of Sons of Guns will buy it and have Red Jacket pimp it in some ungodly way.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In original condition, these would go for $20,000 easy.  Here's the problem.  See this green tape right here?  Obviously whoever had this before you tried to restore it and in the process have seriously hurt the value.  The highest I could go is $350.

They also scraped off all the natural patina while crawling around in caves. Its historic value is shot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadam's g18 wasnt.

yeah the d boys gave it to GWB for the win!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was so surprised when I read this article in the Washington Post of all places.

Dressed To Kill

By Stephen Hunter

You won't see guns like that carried by the Taliban, no sir. Look at Osama bin Laden's gun. It's visible in any of a dozen pictures and it's tubeless, screenless and grenade-launcherless. But it, too, is not only a gun. It's a gun with a coded message; you can read this guy like a book.

He's certainly no Captain Winters from HBO's "Band of Brothers," who, despite his natural genius for soldiering, insisted on carrying the line soldier's prosaic M1 all the way to Berchtesgarten. No, bin Laden's narcissism –– dead giveaway to a fake tough guy –– mandates that he make a fashion statement.

Any idiot knows that was an AK-47 leaning against the cave wall behind bin Laden during his videotaped response to the American bombing. Yes, the AK-47, the most famous of the liberation firearms distributed globally by the Soviet Union and its client states during the Cold War. There may be 50 million of them floating around the globe today.

Except it wasn't. But if you're one of the idiots, don't feel bad; you belong with the other 99.9 percent of the population that doesn't know anything about guns. Bin Laden's rifle wasn't an AK-47 at all, but one of its descendants, an AK-74, and of a particular modification that included, for portability and ease of handling, a very short barrel and a folding skeletonized stock and a flash suppressor. It's called a Krinkov.

It's actually a hybrid. If you crossed a classic 7.62mm x 39 Soviet AK-47 with an American 5.56mm NATO M4, its natural antagonist in about a million firefights in about 75 wars, insurrections and special-ops tiffs, you'd get the AK-74, which is the AK-47 mechanism reconfigured to fire the smaller-caliber, high-velocity round. Then you trick it up; by cutting the barrel and adding that folding stock, you get a Krinkov, which is the current hot lick among people who want to be noticed. It was designed for airborne troops. If you're not going to be jumping out of airplanes, it doesn't do anything for you that the 47 won't.

Bin Laden knows this: For him the gun isn't just a weapon, it's a symbol. He's making a statement, as with the curved ceremonial dagger that hangs from his belt when he's all duded-up in his white finery. He is making a claim: I am of the elite. In other words, he is saying something so Western it suggests the soul-deep depth of his hypocrisy. He is saying: I am so cool.

Yep, he's cool... what's the temperature of the Northern Arabian Sea?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dressed To Kill

By Stephen Hunter

You won't see guns like that carried by the Taliban, no sir. Look at Osama bin Laden's gun. It's visible in any of a dozen pictures and it's tubeless, screenless and grenade-launcherless. But it, too, is not only a gun. It's a gun with a coded message; you can read this guy like a book.

He's certainly no Captain Winters from HBO's "Band of Brothers," who, despite his natural genius for soldiering, insisted on carrying the line soldier's prosaic M1 all the way to Berchtesgarten. No, bin Laden's narcissism –– dead giveaway to a fake tough guy –– mandates that he make a fashion statement.

Any idiot knows that was an AK-47 leaning against the cave wall behind bin Laden during his videotaped response to the American bombing. Yes, the AK-47, the most famous of the liberation firearms distributed globally by the Soviet Union and its client states during the Cold War. There may be 50 million of them floating around the globe today.

Except it wasn't. But if you're one of the idiots, don't feel bad; you belong with the other 99.9 percent of the population that doesn't know anything about guns. Bin Laden's rifle wasn't an AK-47 at all, but one of its descendants, an AK-74, and of a particular modification that included, for portability and ease of handling, a very short barrel and a folding skeletonized stock and a flash suppressor. It's called a Krinkov.

It's actually a hybrid. If you crossed a classic 7.62mm x 39 Soviet AK-47 with an American 5.56mm NATO M4, its natural antagonist in about a million firefights in about 75 wars, insurrections and special-ops tiffs, you'd get the AK-74, which is the AK-47 mechanism reconfigured to fire the smaller-caliber, high-velocity round. Then you trick it up; by cutting the barrel and adding that folding stock, you get a Krinkov, which is the current hot lick among people who want to be noticed. It was designed for airborne troops. If you're not going to be jumping out of airplanes, it doesn't do anything for you that the 47 won't.

Bin Laden knows this: For him the gun isn't just a weapon, it's a symbol. He's making a statement, as with the curved ceremonial dagger that hangs from his belt when he's all duded-up in his white finery. He is making a claim: I am of the elite. In other words, he is saying something so Western it suggests the soul-deep depth of his hypocrisy. He is saying: I am so cool.

Far less than 87 degrees I would think.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Dressed To Kill

By Stephen Hunter

This guy knows
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadam's g18 wasnt.

I bet it's going to the SEAL Museum.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also scraped off all the natural patina while crawling around in caves. Its historic value is shot.

@ green tape.  You guys crack me up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I doubt they brought it back. Well, maybe.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's RETAIL. It's not like I have a stream of buyers coming in asking for OBL's krink, you know?  It's going to sit around until someone buys it,  and I've got to spend money removing the green tape and pictures of women's eyes, and try to make some money on it too.  I'll go $360 and not a dime higher.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dressed To Kill

By Stephen Hunter

This guy knows

and i just learned something new today.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#26]
That's where it belongs if it was recovered

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadam's g18 wasnt.

I bet it's going to the SEAL Museum.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who gets it?

Should it be in the Smithsonian if our guys get it?

It should be hung on the wall at McP's.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dressed To Kill

You're kidding?

just because the byline ID's Hunter as a WaPo Staff Writer doesn't mean it's obvious to everybody.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt they brought it back. Well, maybe.

I bet they did since they probably tore the compound apart looking for intel. Question is will it be presented to Obama or Bush

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dressed To Kill

You're kidding?

Stephen Hunter surprisingly still writes for WaPo occasionally.

Here is a more recent article by him:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/04/AR2011020406709.html

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Some of the stock photos of him with his AK-74SU looks like it has a longer magazine. Possibly a 45 rnd RPK-74 magazine? Handguards look worn as hell.

Burn in hell dirtbag.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Some of the stock photos of him with his AK-74SU looks like it has a longer magazine. Possibly a 45 rnd RPK-74 magazine? Handguards look worn as hell.

<a href="http://img197.imageshack.us/i/osamabinladent.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/511/osamabinladent.jpg</a>

Burn in hell dirtbag.

I read somewhere that it is a 45rd AG4 mag.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#34]

BHO presidential library

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://img197.imageshack.us/i/osamabinladent.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/511/osamabinladent.jpg</a>

Burn in hell dirtbag.

I read somewhere that it is a 45rd AG4 mag.

Ah yes AG-4 aka Bakelite.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Same exact title? Come on..
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#37]
It was designed for airborne troops. If you're not going to be jumping out of airplanes, it doesn't do anything for you that the 47 won't.

Except it is lighter, more compact, and the ammo is lighter and has less recoil (and therefore is more controlable on FA).  
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It was designed for airborne troops. If you're not going to be jumping out of airplanes, it doesn't do anything for you that the 47 won't.

Except it is lighter, more compact, and the ammo is lighter and has less recoil (and therefore is more controlable on FA).  

The radical compinsator design has more to do with the controllability than the cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Technically the rifle is an AKS-74U, that's the Soviet and Russian designation.  AK for an AK type rifle, S for folding stock, 74 for the year I believe the year it was introduced into service, and U for the Russian word "ukorochenniy", meaning shortened.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's RETAIL. It's not like I have a stream of buyers coming in asking for OBL's krink, you know?  It's going to sit around until someone buys it,  and I've got to spend money removing the green tape and pictures of women's eyes, and try to make some money on it too.  I'll go $360 and not a dime higher.

FU*K
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Dressed To Kill

By Stephen Hunter

Far less than 87 degrees I would think.

At least 15 degrees cooler, depending on the AC.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Now I want a Krinkov!!    That sounds so cool!
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#43]
I just want to know if we got the Army jacket back. Anyone know?

Rob
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:08:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Dressed To Kill

By Stephen Hunter

While we Americans know it is as the "Krinkov", the Soviets apparently did not call the AKS74U any such thing.  The term was apparently coined by David Isby back in the '80s when he wrote about it after he saw it for the first time.  Nobody knows the true origin of the name "Krinkov" from the reading I've done on the subject.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The radical compinsator design has more to do with the controllability than the cartridge.

Wrong.  The device at the end of the muzzle acts as a "booster" to enhance the reliability of the gas system (complications from using a shorter barrel are a common problem when full-length rifles are redesigned and made more compact).  The conical shape of it is designed to hide "flash" when rounds are fired.

If you were to fire a 5.45 X39mm AK74 series side by side with a 7.62X39mm AK47 or AKM without any muzzle device designed to control muzzle rise, you'd find the AK74 series much easier to control.  The projectile from a 7N6 round weighs in at about half the weight of the older AK47 or AKM.  

Personally, I love the 5.45X39mm AK74.  I hope you get a chance to shoot one if you haven't already.  I believe you are thinking of the standard AK74 muzzle brake that vents gasses to the side and is indeed effective at controling muzzle rise (and also accomplishes making the shooter next to you deaf from the muzzle blast).

The WP article was ok, but the details were, as is usual when dealing with small arms, wrong.    

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Didnt the Russkies call it Sucha or something like that? supposedly translated to "little bitch"  

Quoted:
Quoted:

Dressed To Kill

By Stephen Hunter

While we Americans know it is as the "Krinkov", the Soviets apparently did not call the AKS74U any such thing.  The term was apparently coined by David Isby back in the '80s when he wrote about it after he saw it for the first time.  Nobody knows the true origin of the name "Krinkov" from the reading I've done on the subject.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Didnt the Russkies call it Sucha or something like that? supposedly translated to "little bitch"  

Quoted:
Quoted:

Dressed To Kill

By Stephen Hunter

Apparently.  I'm not Russian, don't speak the language, wasn't in Afghanistan fighting with them, so the only information I have is what I read-probably from the same sources as you.  

Suchka
Ksyuha
Okurok

Slang names all-kink of like calling the M60 GPMG "pig".

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:50:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Dressed To Kill

By Stephen Hunter

Don't know for sure, but I've heard it was originally attributed to Pauly Mahoney - a NFA dealer & manufacturer in Florida who was one of the first (if not the first) to start making US made AK receivers.  His shop was called "Krinks" (in Naples, IIRC), and if you look back thorough old issues of Small Arms Review, and its predecessor Machine Gun News you'll find ads from Krinks going back to the early 90's at least.  Its been many years since I've talked to Pauly, and I never asked the origin of the name.  Sure wish I did - he sure was one crazy fucker though...

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I think Stephen Hunter knows a thing or two about guns

Except that the term "Krinkov" was never used by the Russians and is an American invention.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Dressed To Kill

By Stephen Hunter

Don't know for sure, but I've heard it was originally attributed to Pauly Mahoney - a NFA dealer & manufacturer in Florida who was one of the first (if not the first) to start making US made AK receivers.  His shop was called "Krinks" (in Naples, IIRC), and if you look back thorough old issues of Small Arms Review, and its predecessor Machine Gun News you'll find ads from Krinks going back to the early 90's at least.  Its been many years since I've talked to Pauly, and I never asked the origin of the name.  Sure wish I did - he sure was one crazy fucker though...

That's an interesting bit of info.  I hope I don't come off trying to sound as if I'm some sort of AK "expert" because I'm far from it.  The design fascinates me because it's so well thought out and prolific.  The article was good, and I think the author was spot-on in a general sense, but even the most basic small arms knowlege isn't something most of these fellows are familiar with.  Thus, misinformation is born.

Also, from what I've read, the AKS74U was designed more for armor crews and others who needed a weapon more effective than a sidearm, but it wasn't designed as a general issue weapon to Soviet airborn forces.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top