Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2011 11:01:16 AM EDT
What is the deal?  I see on fox news that many people are calling him Usama Bin Laden.  Everybody who released a statement from the Bush administration called him Osama Bin Laden.  Can somebody tell me why there is a conflict in the spelling of Bin Laden's first name?   I was under the impression it was always Osama Bin Laden.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#1]
again, the FBI has him listed as Usama, both ways are correct
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What is the deal?  I see on fox news that many people are calling him Usama Bin Laden.  Everybody who released a statement from the Bush administration called him Osama Bin Laden.  Can somebody tell me why there is a conflict in the spelling of Bin Laden's first name?   I was under the impression it was always Osama Bin Laden.

Clarity between Obama and Osama? I've heard quite a few radio/tv hosts bumble it one way or another, reporting Obama's death, or Osama's speech in the White House.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clarity between Obama and Osama? I've heard quite a few radio/tv hosts bumble it one way or another, reporting Obama's death, or Osama's speech in the White House.

it has nothing to do with Obama

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it has something to do with the translation from arabic to english.

FWIW the FBI spells it Usama.

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe Osama is still at large....

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The problem is that some Arabic pronunciations have no direct English sound to go with them so we use the various sounds that our 26 letter alphabet can make and get as close to the pronunciation as we can.  This often results in widely different spellings as you can see.  Often the same way as some ideas, thoughts, and meanings in other languages cannot be accurately translated into English.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Transliteration.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#8]
His name is not spelled with Latin characters, just like your name is not spelled with chinese glyphs.

Usama is closer to how it is pronounced, like the u in 'super'.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is that some Arabic pronunciations have no direct English sound to go with them so we use the various sounds that our 26 letter alphabet can make and get as close to the pronunciation as we can.  This often results in widely different spellings as you can see.  Often the same way as some ideas, thoughts, and meanings in other languages cannot be accurately translated into English.

^^^^^^^^^^^ + the Arabic language/alphabet has distinct differences between long and short vowels.

A, U and I are the recognized vowels of the Arabic alphabet, E and O are not.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought it was spelled Asshole.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top