Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2011 10:44:41 AM EDT
http://www.biggamehunt.net/blogs/bghjournal/jury-rules-remington-washington-lawsuit

"Thomas D. Hull Jr., had contended he was injured by a defective rifle that discharged inside his truck. Hull was wounded at about 5:30 p.m. Oct. 25, 2009, by a Remington 700 bolt-action rifle being unloaded by his hunting partner, Joseph Sotomayor, then 45, also of Port Angeles, according to the Clallam County Sheriff’s Office. Hull was shot in the upper right thigh, Hull said Thursday."
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Hurrah for the jury!
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Do not point a gun at anything you do not wish to destroy
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

done. over. game. set. match.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#4]
But ... but ... but ... but ... the gun just went off!
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

done. over. game. set. match.

100%
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It also helps not to have a round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Good for Remington. Glad to see things go in their favor.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#10]
This week is starting out with all kinds of good news.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Loaded rifle... inside a truck...
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yep
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#14]
They should make the asshat repay their legal fees.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#15]
This one, I call a miscarriage.  There has been a program on CNBC, where the designer of the 700 verified the rifle was known to be defective before production was even started.  The original cost of fixing was 5 cents.  The designer put in place a quality control program to weed out the defective units, which was shut down immediately after his retirement.  This was supported by documents obtained in one of the lawsuits.  For a company to knowingly sell defective firearms for decades  should be criminal.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This one, I call a miscarriage.  There has been a program on CNBC, where the designer of the 700 verified the rifle was known to be defective before production was even started.  The original cost of fixing was 5 cents.  The designer put in place a quality control program to weed out the defective units, which was shut down immediately after his retirement.  This was supported by documents obtained in one of the lawsuits.  For a company to knowingly sell defective firearms for decades  should be criminal.

I believe that Remington should have been found to be partially liable.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://www.biggamehunt.net/blogs/bghjournal/jury-rules-remington-washington-lawsuit

"Thomas D. Hull Jr., had contended he was injured by a defective rifle that discharged inside his truck. Hull was wounded at about 5:30 p.m. Oct. 25, 2009, by a Remington 700 bolt-action rifle being unloaded by his hunting partner, Joseph Sotomayor, then 45, also of Port Angeles, according to the Clallam County Sheriff’s Office. Hull was shot in the upper right thigh, Hull said Thursday."

hmmm.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I also believe that Remington called bullshit. They made a very good counterargument in a video published after the hit piece.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmmm.....

This one isn't as 'wise' as the other one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did remington make dumbass point a rifle at another dumbass?

I could understand if it was a holstered pistol and a leg wound, but with a rifle, there is no excuse, especially inside of a truck.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both of you saw One Side of the story.  There is another side to the story.

More importantly, the jury saw both sides and found in Remington's favor, which supports that the hit piece was bull shit.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Preach it brother. As soon as you hear the other side, you won't have that opinion. I know, I felt Rem was responsible too, until I found out about the shenanigans and half truths.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

This one, I call a miscarriage. There has been a program on CNBC, where the designer of the 700 verified the rifle was known to be defective before production was even started. The original cost of fixing was 5 cents. The designer put in place a quality control program to weed out the defective units, which was shut down immediately after his retirement. This was supported by documents obtained in one of the lawsuits. For a company to knowingly sell defective firearms for decades should be criminal.

That was part of a concentrated PR effort by the plaintiff's attorney group to sway public opinion prior to the trial/verdict.  There was HUGE money and politcal hay to be made over nailing Remington and all the stops where pulled.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More importantly, the jury saw both sides and found in Remington's favor, which supports that the hit piece was bull shit.

Yup.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#28]
good now they can use some of that money they didnt have to pay out to fix QC problems..
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Sometimes you can break one of the rules, but if you ever break 2 or more the results will invariably be injury or death.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rather, the M700 is defective but this particular incident had human causes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Sometimes you can break one of the rules, but if you ever break 2 or more the results will invariably be injury or death.

Pretty much.  The rules are designed to provide multiple layers of safety.  You could break any one of the rules all day and probably not have any serious problems.  But when you break more than one, all bets are off.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Personal responsibility and all that
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the m700 defective?  My dad has a few copies in different calibers, which have bee dead nuts reliable for more years than I have been alive.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is not a bad idea.

You know, they should have some sort of predefined set of rules for the safe handling of firearms that includes this.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Nice work by Remington's counsel.

There go you lawyers sticking together again.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the m700 defective?  My dad has a few copies in different calibers, which have bee dead nuts reliable for more years than I have been alive.

The main issue is defective and/or sensitive triggers and bolt handles that fall off.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That sounds, familiar.  

Ehhhhh Macman37 just pulled that out of his ass.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

+100000000000
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#40]
To get shot in the thigh by your buddy while in a motor vehicle takes a level of stupidity well beyond anything the trigger mechanism caused. I have never had any issue with mine. Finally, a jury with some common sense ! Just my .02 on it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Well, they should still know to not let it go off. You know. For the children.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So you are saying CNBC ran a one sided, anti-gun hit piece? I find that hard to believe
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could understand if it was a holstered pistol and a leg wound, but with a rifle, there is no excuse, especially inside of a truck.

Just FYI, one of the people killed as part of a similar lawsuit was a little girl.  While I agree one must always follow the four rules, calling the victims dumbasses or asshats is very crass and has no respect for human life.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just FYI, one of the people killed as part of a similar lawsuit was a little girl.  While I agree one must always follow the four rules, calling the victims dumbasses or asshats is very crass and has no respect for human life.

I feel horrible for the victims. I believe the dumbass was the one holding the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you let your friends point loaded guns at you while in your truck, you're a dumbass.

IIRC the girl was killed by her mother, who was pointing a loaded rifle at her.  She was ignoring 3 of the 4 rules.  The mother is a dumb ass.  The dead little girl is a tragic victim of her mother's dumbassery.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember seeing that in the subject piece.

I remember thinking that, at some point, a woman must have pointed a loaded rifle at her daughter.

Very sad in many ways.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not a bad idea.

You know, they should have some sort of predefined set of rules for the safe handling of firearms that includes this.

Someone should really get on that. Really.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Ban guns now!  All they do is wait for a chance to kill us.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#50]
The Sudden Unintended Acceleration of the gun world.
In other words, completely bogus!
This gun just went off by itself even though in every attempt to replicate the failure the gun did not malfunction.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top