Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2011 10:28:18 AM EDT
Not that it bothers me that he's finally dead, but how he was just put down but Saddam had to be taken alive?

Was it because there wasn't 100% proof against Saddam?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I think what Osama did is called "resisting arrest".
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

???

They're both threats?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Not that it bothers me that he's finally dead, but how he was just put down but Saddam had to be taken alive?

we assassinated yamamoto too...

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Saddam was hiding in a hole.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#6]
If Saddam had been armed and resisting rather than hiding in a hole in the ground the troops would have shot him, too.  ((shrugs))
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#7]
There was a fire fight!

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And didn't engage in a fire fight with the people pulling him out of it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If Saddam had been armed and resisting rather than hiding in a hole in the ground the troops would have shot him, too.  ((shrugs))

Gotcha.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And didn't engage in a fire fight with the people pulling him out of it.

I haven't read reports, I just got home from school.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#11]
There is no way that you want to have OBL in custody.  A trial would take many years, create a media circus, cause a huge international upheaval and create a very ripe environment for terror acts.

Quick and quiet works.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm sure he was mirandized and simply chose to not exercise his right to counsel.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There is no way that you want to have OBL in custody.  A trail would take many years, create a media circus, cause a huge international upheaval and create a very ripe environment for terror acts.

Quick and quiet works.

So I guess the whole "no body" thing works out well.

(Well, body kicked off the deck of a ship)
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Stupid question is stupid.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

One was a head of state, one was a criminal terrorist.

Big difference.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadaam was taken alive because he didn't fight.

Bin Laden apparently did.

I'm fucking stunned to see how many people are trying desperately to find a cloud in this silver lining.

Like I said, I'm not bothered by the fact that he's dead. I'm glad. I just had a question about it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Saddam was a Head of State, and our laws prohibit assassination.  Therefore, capture alive, tried, convicted, and put to death for his crimes.

OBL is a turd in a litterbox, head of a bunch of CoC violations who was long overdue for a lead snack.

Major differences.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Stupid question is stupid.

Thank you for answering my question. You're a most helpful member of this site and your contribution will be noted.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, Saddam did not offer any resistance, even though he had a BHP with him. Usama on the other hand was armed and took a shot at our guys, hence he got "Mozambiq'd"

/thread.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no way that you want to have OBL in custody.  A trail would take many years, create a media circus, cause a huge international upheaval and create a very ripe environment for terror acts.

Quick and quiet works.

So I guess the whole "no body" thing works out well.

(Well, body kicked off the deck of a ship)

Except that we gain two things by killing him and stating it publicly:

1.  To make it clear that the U.S. WILL hunt down and deal harshly with terrorists - no matter how long it takes.

2.  To make it clear to the world that the U.S. can project its power where and when it needs to support national interests.

3.  To close the chapter on OBL.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

da fack?

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#24]
saddam wanted to "negotiate" when he was captured.

osama may not have wanted to negotiate, and was more interested in exchange of precious metals.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

osama may not have wanted to negotiate, and was more interested in exchange of precious metals.

Well... he got 2 bits out of the trade.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

There was a fire fight!

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Sadam was found cowering in a hole.  UBL was shot as he resisted with force.  He deserved exactly what he got.  Maybe a little more torture before dying but he did not deserve a trial.  He deserved to be ended violently.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The way they talked about it on the news, they made it sound like there was an initial firefight, Bin laden was cornered and they asked him to surrender, and he refused or responded by shooting and the fighting continued until he was killed.  I'm sure if he had surrendered they would have taken him prisoner.  The guy has too much valuable intel to just kill like that if you can avoid it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm entirely OK with how things went down. I would have been ok with shooting the prick in his sleep, wrapping him in bacon and throwing his ass in a ditch.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm entirely OK with how things went down. I would have been ok with shooting the prick in his sleep, wrapping him in bacon and throwing his ass in a ditch.

Sounds like a waste of bacon.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

According to Brennan on TV just now, after his woman protector and body guard went down, he reached for his weapon.  It was suicide by SEAL.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't care if they captured, drug him behind a truck, beat him with an axe handle, made him drink gasoline then lit his nuts on fire, then shot him. In fact that would have been preferable to a couple of bullets.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Saddam was a little bitch

At least Osama went down fighting, from behind one of his wives
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well... he got 2 bits out of the trade.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Yeah Saddam surrendered.  I would also point out it was important for the newly freed Iraqi people to try him and convict him and his regime of the war crimes and other injustices he perpetrated on his people.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Frankly.. The SOP we worked out in my platoon in The Corps (if we went to combat) was to throw a frag into a hole or tunnel before sending in a person....fail on the army unit's part for not having that SOP when finding the hole Saddam was in.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#38]
do you really want a trial for that fuckface?

it's easier to have him dead.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

we assassinated yamamoto too...

Naw, we killed his plane, he just happened to be in it at the time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm fucking stunned to see how many people are trying desperately to find a cloud in this silver lining.

The cloud in this is that it will benifit Obama.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
do you really want a trial for that fuckface?

it's easier to have him dead.

This is also correct.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a price I'm willing to pay to see justice done.

Don't let the perfect get in the way of the good.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Because he would not come along and there was a fire fight in which he gave up.

saddam wet his pants and threw up his hands from his spidey hole

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only for people that would vote for Obama no what what he did - or didn't do.  There is no reaching some people.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Actually he was never hostile to the US directly, only it's interests.
Before Saddam occupied Kuwait, Iraq had been on fair terms with the US, with common enemies, Iran.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This...... he had the opportunity to surrender and did not take it.

If Hussein had done the same he would have been sporting a head vent as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I heard it wasn't OBL that was using his wife as a human shield it was the bodyguard that got behind OBL's wife, then proceeded to put a gun to her head as if she was a hostage. The Seals proceeded to fire through Mrs Bin Laden. It just doesn't pay to be in Bin Laden's entourage.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard it wasn't OBL that was using his wife as a human shield it was the bodyguard that got behind OBL's wife, then proceeded to put a gun to her head as if she was a hostage. The Seals proceeded to fire through Mrs Bin Laden. It just doesn't pay to be in Bin Laden's entourage.    

Damn, that always seems to work in the movies.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Exactly. Saddam submitted.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I can't believe it either.

Our best, brightest, toughest armed men studied, practiced, planned, and prepared to execute a plan to bring the bastard down.  Our president, however worthless he may seem to be most of the time, got into his head the correct notion that it was time to take the fucking leash off and send those pissed off, highly trained motherfuckers in to pick a fight.  For payback, for justice; for the 3000 innocent people who probably never even heard of Bin Laden before he murdered them.  So they did, they executed that plan and put two rounds into that fucking dirtbag mongrel’s skull and killed and captured some of his closest associates while they were at it.  They sent that motherfucker to the hell he probably never imagined he had coming.  72 virgins? Pssh.  Bin Laden will be sipping the Devil’s piss in Hades’ Bar with Hitler, Hussein, Stalin, Dahmer, and every other sick bastard who ever lived and died a deserving death.

Good fucking riddance, I say.

Tonight, I sleep soundly because rough, secretive men rocked and knocked Bin Laden from this Earth with a double-tap to the left side of his face. And if I ever meet the men who ended that shitbag, I’ll buy them the entire bar we sit in so they may drink for free from now into eternity.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top