Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2011 9:22:17 AM EDT
Good article about all this.  Gives a brief rundown of what we don't know about the raid, and some of the background behind what we don't know about the team that executed it.

From Ghazi Air Base in Pakistan, the modified MH-60 helicopters made their way to the garrison suburb of Abbottabad, about 30 miles from the center of Islamabad. Aboard were Navy SEALs, flown across the border from Afghanistan, along with tactical signals, intelligence collectors, and navigators using highly classified hyperspectral imagers.

After bursts of fire over 40 minutes, 22 people were killed or captured. One of the dead was Osama bin Laden, done in by a double tap –– boom, boom –– to the left side of his face. His body was aboard the choppers that made the trip back. One had experienced mechanical failure and was destroyed by U.S. forces

http://nationaljournal.com/whitehouse/the-secret-team-that-killed-bin-laden-20110502  

10.) Copyrighted Material must be respected. If you wish to share an article from another site, it's important you post only a small excerpt of the content (less than 10%) with a link to the original. We will initially issue warnings, but repeat violations will result in your removal from the site.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Darn, they didn't use a ball peen hammer to OBL as I had hoped.  It would have been a slower, more painful way to go.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#2]
But a small SEAL team raids in there, 22 dead or  captured, not one American so much as stubbed his toe.

Them's my boys.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Hometown boys got Bin Laden.

Hampton Roads has another reason to be proud.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought according to the speech last night from Obama that he was flying one of the helicopters...what a dude he is...
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I was born there....just saying.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#6]
It will be interesting to see the full details if they ever get released.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Highly doubt it.  That's a very hush-hush group of guys.  Identities usually kept pretty secret.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I thought according to the speech last night from Obama that he was flying one of the helicopters...what a dude he is...

no you got it wrong, he was the trigger man that did the double tap. after that he ripped off obls head and shit down his neck.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Double tap to the left side of his face at close range?

There might not be much left of his head to display for the world.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought Team Six was no longer?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

But a small SEAL team raids in there, 22 dead or  captured, not one American so much as stubbed his toe.

Them's my boys.

Some baaaaaad mother fuckers, that's for sure.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Double tap to the left side of his face at close range?

There might not be much left of his head to display for the world.  

That is okay, I am desensitized enough to see the pic and sleep like a baby at night.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Them's my boys.

hahahaha that's pretty much the identical wording I used when I posted this on facebook.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Highly doubt it.  That's a very hush-hush group of guys.  Identities usually kept pretty secret.

Not so much names, but as stated, if they were flying from Afghanistan, how did they get into Pakistan undetected.  After 40min firefight, there were no Pakistani Military/Police/ISI on scene?   They had 4 helicopters.  1 was destroyed.  How many did they possibly capture if you got to get your team out plus Bin Laden body along with evidence.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

He was responsible for the double tap too...that's why he was late; he had to clean OBL's blood off.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Them's my boys.

x2

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The F22s out of langley even looked like they had a little spring in their step this morning.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Name changed to DEVGRU.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was responsible for the double tap too...that's why he was late; he had to clean OBL's blood off.

And we should thank al gore for bringing us the internet so we could get the info on OBL with a quickness.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#20]

hooaah, just off AD, now i go to school in HR, do you live here?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Damn, what a book that's going to be.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd buy those guys the whole bar if they wanted it. To prove it I'd need a picture of them posing w/ his lifeless body like a 20 point buck. Too bad we'll never know who it was.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm hoping the guy who pulled the trigger was wearing a helmet cam
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Will not buff out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#25]
The report that we lost one of our birds jives exactly with a local Paki blogger who blogged the attack, except he's saying locals were told that the chopper was shot down.   (Of course the bad guys would say that,though).

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/05/02/did-a-blogger-live-tweet-the-obl-mission/

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Why do we always have so many helicopter issues on these raids???
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Shit tends to break when you need it the most.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

someone did because obama watched the raid from the WH

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Those things are not as reliable as you would hope they would be.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like loss of lift caused by the structure below and very low altitute. Called a dead mans hover and lucky it just turned into a hard landing with nobody hurt.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Murphy's law/
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

Probably had to change his panties afterwards.

But that would be badass.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

God bless them
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

Probably had to change his panties afterwards.

But that would be badass.

I think I would enjoy watching a video of Obama watching Osama take two to the dome.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Murphy's law/

this
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Name changed to DEVGRU.

I will go out on a limb here...

Operator - Nope
Tier 1 - Old news
DEVGRU - latest ARFcom buzzwerd

"That lastest Magpul grip/stock/spork is DEVGRU"

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#37]
22 and zero? Damn, that's a hell of a kill death ratio.  I wonder if they called in attack dogs.

Seriously though.  40 minutes, 22 dead, one crashed helicopter...0 casualties.  Them some bad ass mofo's.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Hampton Roads or Dam Neck?  Thought it was the later.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was the Breacher too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was the Breacher too.

Which is really impressive considering he pulled overwatch too!

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those things are not as reliable as you would hope they would be.

It also has something to do with pushing these machines to their limits on an op like this, I would think.

To make an omelet, you gotta break some eggs?????

LC
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

He was the Breacher too.

Breaking News: Obama caught the malfunctioning helicopter with his bare hands after safely landing his own. What can he NOT do?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Cause helicopters are always trying to self destruct....it's integral to their design.

Reports are that they had to cross the Hindu Kush on their way into Pakistan.....that means they had to be using MH-47s. I'm gonna guess there were 4 birds carrying about 100 troops that pulled the raid....but what do I know?

God bless our troops!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#45]
got an old friend who used to teach in coranado, navy base. ill have to give him a call. he prob knows some of these guys it is a small community.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think I would enjoy watching a video of Obama watching Osama take two to the dome.

Originally Said By Barack Obama:
BOOM! HEADSHOT!

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was the Breacher too.

Breaking News: Obama caught the malfunctioning helicopter with his bare hands after safely landing his own. What can he NOT do?

Brought this to mind...

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

He was the Breacher too.

Brought this to mind...

Great .. thanks for that.  Now I'm gonna  be having bad dreams involving that jug-eared fuck-stain.

He cured my cancer, and unclogged my drains though.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Name changed to DEVGRU.

Didn't they change their official name again? Like how Delta officially went from 1st SFOD-D, to CAG, and most recently ACE?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Did you hear how he traded the stick for the gun and actually shot Osama from 1500m away!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top