Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2011 9:01:31 AM EDT

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Its nice to see a department take this seriously.   I've had two bikes stolen and both departments couldn't care less.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been a motorcycle rider for over 32 years, but I've never been a thief. I had no idea that motorcycles were so easy to steal. I think that many police departments, when learning how easy it is to steal a motorcycle and considering that the insurance company is gong to total the thing if it's recovered anyway, just figure, "What's the point?" and actively avoid any investigation. I hope that the San Diego program gets some traction in other parts of the country and leads to a nationwide crackdown on motorcycle theft.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#3]
yep easy because there is almost no place to hide the wires. if you can get to the wires you can start the bike. The same thing happens here with snowmobiles.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

yep easy because there is almost no place to hide the wires. if you can get to the wires you can start the bike. The same thing happens here with snowmobiles.

BMW hides every-fucking-thing! I have to take all the bodywork off my RT to change the battery.

Also, nobody wants to steal ugly, dirty, weird motorcycles with tons of miles and dead bugs all over them!

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#5]
If it just takes two guys to break the bar (I'm using the video's terms because I don't know much about motorcycles) then perhaps that could be strengthened to prevent theft.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If it just takes two guys to break the bar (I'm using the video's terms because I don't know much about motorcycles) then perhaps that could be strengthened to prevent theft.

Some motorcycles have a much more secure fork lock. The best (although not completely theft-proof) method is to chain your motorcycle to a permanent object. My BMW weighs 600 pounds, but two guys could wrestle it into the bed of a pickup in seconds, and I'd never see it again.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Good.  Thieves are shitbags.  Car/bike thieves are even worse.  

This is the kind of LE that I support 100%, and I commend the officers who are part of it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

This is the kind of LE that I support 100%, and I commend the officers who are part of it.

I like that they're getting support from the insurance industry, too. Fewer motorcycle thefts = fewer premium hikes.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Just having a disc lock can make a difference, add time or discourage them from just riding the bike away. Some of the disc locks have a built in alarm and of course you can add an alarm to the bike itself.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just having a disc lock can make a difference, add time or discourage them from just riding the bike away. Some of the disc locks have a built in alarm and of course you can add an alarm to the bike itself.

It's kind of like the story about being chased by a bear. You don't have to outrun the bear; you just have to outrun the guy you're with. If you can make your motorcycle less-appealing to a thief than the next bike, you've avoided being a victim ... this time.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Do people actually lock their bars? I dont think I have ever done that on mine intentionally at least
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Exactly how my CBR was stolen in 2002 in Virginia Beach.  Witness said 2 guys picked it up from in front of my car (parked at my apartment complex in front of my patio door, 6 days after moving in) carried it between my car and my neighbors car.  Broke the steering head lock, plugged in their own ignition and split.  The bike was recovered a couple blocks away the same night.  The VBPD said they had never seen that type of motorcycle theft at the time.  The entire frame was replaced, and I rode her for 2 more years before I sold her for a new bike.  Even though the guys at the shop did a great job putting Humpty Dumpty back together again, there were little things that just weren't right.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

This is policework, IMO these are the things that departments should be focused on.

Bikes are a tempting target, what else that costs $12,000 that two people can pick up gets left in a public parking lot?

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

didnt we use to hang horse thieves in this country?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Do people actually lock their bars? I dont think I have ever done that on mine intentionally at least

I do whenever the motorcycle is parked anywhere except my garage. It's important to remember to unlock the forks before taking the motorcycle off the center stand.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like that they're getting support from the insurance industry, too. Fewer motorcycle thefts = fewer premium hikes.

Almost every single bait car that departments use are donated to them by insurance companies.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must not get around a lot, its very common.

Actually I just ride a shitty bike

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#20]
My bike is cable locked to the foundation of my apartment building.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#21]
That's it, mine's getting a hidden ignition kill switch and I'll just leave the bars free.

No module is getting them past that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

That's it, mine's getting a hidden ignition kill switch and I'll just leave the bars free.

No module is getting them past that.

They'll just pick it up and take it man.  If they want it, it's gone..

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#23]
"This video has been removed by the user"
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

weird?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It did kinda show how to steal a motorcycle

here is the channel if you want to watch for him to re upload it LINK

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I do something hidden to disable my motorcycle.  They will never get it started.  But they could throw it in the back of a truck, this is why I also chain it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Tag for video repost.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Could you Lojack the bike?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#29]
video gone
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

That's very unfortunate. I think I got the link from AMA's Facebook page.

ETA: I saw it on the Aerostich FB page. If I see it pop up again, I'll post the new link.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I believe so.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Maybe it got stolen.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe it got stolen.
Somebody watched the video and learned how to steal it!

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Depending on where you live Lojack can be useless. We don't even have any cars with Lojack trackers in them anymore and almost all of our cops have no idea how to use it. Not to mention the fact that it usually takes anywhere from 4 to as many as 24 hours before the vehicle is entered in the system and listed as stolen. Plus, any halfway decent car thief can find it in a minute or two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top