Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2011 8:58:27 AM EDT
Who has the best free,simple and easy way to check my credit score on line?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

The free ones use their own algorithm which is pretty close to the general myfico credit score.
Different places use different algorithms too.  The algorithm used to get my score from an auto dealer said I had an 848 from two places and 825 at another.  My home mortgage said I had a little over 800 from all three places.
Myfico.com is best place to get your score.  Many places require you to sign up for a free trial membership that's a PITA sometimes to cancel.  Pay the money and have it be the end of it.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#2]
There is only one free credit check I am aware of... All the rest are "free with subscription" to their monitoring service.

I can't remember the web site now, but if you do a search, there is a .gov site with info and a link to the site. I would only go to the site that the .gov directs you to.

I think you can only do it once a year.

ETA...  

the web site I was refering to:  http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre34.shtm

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

You are entitled to one copy of your credit report from each of the three agencies, per calender year.

Fico, Vantage, et al, are not part of the 'Free' report.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#4]
you can get a ling to each of the big three from annualcreditreport.com
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:18:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is only one free credit check I am aware of... All the rest are "free with subscription" to their monitoring service.

I can't remember the web site now, but if you do a search, there is a .gov site with info and a link to the site. I would only go to the site that the .gov directs you to.

I think you can only do it once a year.

ETA...  

the web site I was refering to:  http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre34.shtm

That worked great,thanks guys...
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#7]
annualcreditreport.com

The official, free site.  I don't think it gives you a score, though.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#8]

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index

I've used this for several years.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#9]
So, at the risk of sounding like an idiot (Hey, I ususally deal with cash)

If I've only got one account, but I've never ever missed a payment, thats good yeah?

Would it be better if i had several accounts with good history?

I will be finding my own place here within the next 6mos, and I dont know what landlords will look for.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

So, at the risk of sounding like an idiot (Hey, I ususally deal with cash)

If I've only got one account, but I've never ever missed a payment, thats good yeah?

Would it be better if i had several accounts with good history?

I will be finding my own place here within the next 6mos, and I dont know what landlords will look for.

Thanks.

It may look better if you get a few more lines of credit open.

Paying your utility bills doesn't improve your score.  All it can do is hurt it.  Stuff like credit cards, and loans that have a history associated with them will improve your score.  You score will improve as your history with a company grows.

One way to screw yourself is to have one credit card with a low maximum like $2k.  If you hit that maximum it will look bad a score check because when you look at the numbers you're using 100% of your available credit.  Use less than 40% of your available credit and your score will be fine.

Basically, a credit score shows how you handle credit.  If you're cash only but have no money problems a credit score won't show how you handle credit.  As a result, you'll have a low credit score despite being a responsible person.  It's a dance with the devil.  You have to get into the game and use credit responsibly to be able to get money loaned to you a a good rate.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top