Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 6:52:41 PM EDT
I am having an addition built.  Paying as we go.  Looks like it will be "dried in" with Tyvek on the exterior and felt on the roof.  I need to make the money for the next step.  Not borrowing a cent.  How long in months can I go with this addition in this condition before I need to get siding on and shngles on?  thanks to all.

also, my framer had delivered not Tyvek but some woven plastic that looks like what sandbags are made of.  Anyone know what this is and if I need to reject it and demand tyvek?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as its rain proof you're GTG. Actually its better to let it dry a little. The framing shrinks and can warp as it drys. Better to let it do that before drywall, trim, etc.

Let it stabilize.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#2]
siding is less critical then roofing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been to places where it seems people just stop at that point.  Shingles would be good though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL, well we do plan to finish it.....I just want to do it like great grandad did and pay as I go, instead of borrowing the moon and paying back double for the rest of my life.  What do you guys think about the woven fabric instead of tyvek?  I was a little disturbed when it got shipped.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#5]
All we use here is Tyvek, it's the standard, I would reject anything else.
Make sure any seams are taped, and all windows and exterior doors.
Installation is key, either with roofing tabs, or hammer tacker staples, or both, high wind can ruin a poor Tyvek install.
Shingles would be my first priority, as funds allow.
The first year of a heating and cooling cycle will see the most movement, or "settling" , a quality framing job will minimize this however.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure what the weather is doing or is about to do in your local but, my area is getting hit with nasty weather. 60-70 mph straight line winds and three to four inches of rain tonight. Been doing this shit for two weeks off and on. Get it shingled before you have a good thunderstorm come through.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As long as its rain proof you're GTG. Actually its better to let it dry a little. The framing shrinks and can warp as it drys. Better to let it do that before drywall, trim, etc.
Let it stabilize.

This is very, very good advice.  Time is on your side, as long as you keep the rain out.  The longer you wait, the more stable the wood will be and the more water will get out of the concrete.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Is this on a slab?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Tyvek should not be exposed to sunlight for too long of a time. The UV rays break it down.The exact length of time should be on their web site.There is even a roofing material that can be left exposed for quite a while before the final roof goes on, but I forget what it is called.Google can be of use in a situation like yours.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]
why are you posting this on the bin laden is dead board???
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I recommend the brand name Tyvek because of the warranty.  If installed properly with the other corresponding Tyvek products, they have a 10 year warranty on both materials and labor.  DuPont is one of the few manufacturers that offers the warranty on the cost of labor as well.  He probably picked the other stuff up at lowes or home depot to save like 20 bucks a roll.  Go with the brand name Tyvek and the corresponding window tape and flashing.  The flexible window well flashing is like 120 bucks a roll, but it will probably be enough to cover all the windows in your addition because it is only used on the bottom of the openings.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeap. A decent wind will tear the 15 pound without too much of a problem. A lot of it has to do with how well you simplexed the field.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is this on a slab?

it is on crawlspace.  trench pour with rebar.  About 5 courses of block.  One step down halfway.  The guys doing the footer did what appeared to be an outstanding job.

Had the Tyvek switched out today.  the other wrap turned out to be the "STOCK company" brand house wrap.Looked like woven plastic to me, like army sandbag material.  Keep the advice coming guys I really appreciate it!  

And since this is ARFCOM I will tell you the design includes a tower.    But it is tastefully done.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top