Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2011 6:21:51 PM EDT
Anyone here follow the Australian V8 super cars, some very close racing and some spectacular crashes too, this was yesterday in Perth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PU3YFvgjPc&feature=related
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Great job by the firefighters in ignoring the driver who was obviously in distress - and rushing to fight the fire on the unoccupied car.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
that ain't gonna buff out
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool that they already had rescue crew on the track behind the drivers ready to go
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Cool that they already had rescue crew on the track behind the drivers ready to go

They always follow for the first lap.  I think F1 does the same thing.  I think it has to do with having more of a chance of mayhem, with the standing start.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They always follow for the first lap.  I think F1 does the same thing.  I think it has to do with having more of a chance of mayhem, with the standing start.    

Yep. Bet the drivers were glad.

The folks in the stands look like they need SCBAs though
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The driver was in hospital last night with burns and issues from the impact.

Those cars are awesome, they are so damn fast and loud, they come here to NZ once a year and also go to Bharan(?) and I think still Shanghai, very entertaining to watch, just You tube V8 super cars crashes.

Best part is that most of the time the drives are uninjured or only slightly stuffed
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Great job by the firefighters in ignoring the driver who was obviously in distress - and rushing to fight the fire on the unoccupied car.

What exactly are fire fighters supposed to do?

Hint the answer might be in the job title.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I confess that I am an amateur - but when a guy exits a burning car making erratic movements and struggling to remove his gloves - I'm going to move disregard the empty burning car and move quickly to him to try to minimize his burns.

Now the firefighting pros can come along and tell me that firefighters only extinguish inanimate object fires - while people exiting the fire are cared by some other group of people who probably lack fire extinguishers.

Maybe its a union/division of labor thing.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I confess that I am an amateur - but when a guy exits a burning car making erratic movements and struggling to remove his gloves - I'm going to move disregard the empty burning car and move quickly to him to try to minimize his burns.

Now the firefighting pros can come along and tell me that firefighters only extinguish inanimate object fires - while people exiting the fire are cared by some other group of people who probably lack fire extinguishers.

it's a scene safety issue. It makes it very difficult to treat the wounded man, if there's a fire burning 20' from him at 1000 degrees. ETA not to mention any deadly gases, fumes etc, that are being given off by that fire still being a hazrad to the driver, and any rescue workers, attempting toi assist him, while the car is still burning.

He had hand an facial burns, what exactly would they have been able to do to effect that, by ignoring the burning car?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

it's a scene safety issue. It makes it very difficult to treat the wounded man, if there's a fire burning 20' from him at 1000 degrees.

He had hand an facial burns, what exactly would they have been able to do to effect that, by ignooring the burning car?

This.

We are trained to get the driver out of a burning car first, but fight the fire if we can't get him out.

Since he was already out, the focus was on the firefighting.  The EMTs take care of the driver after he has gotten out or we have gotten him out.

And CWO, I don't know where you came up with your statement.  He was out of the car as the firefighers arrived and notice that 3 people responded to the driver immediately.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Holy shitballs that was an insane fire.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#12]
usama is dead
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Racecar sponsored by Glock?  

/ducks
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The driver was in hospital last night with burns and issues from the impact.

Those cars are awesome, they are so damn fast and loud, they come here to NZ once a year and also go to Bharan(?) and I think still Shanghai, very entertaining to watch, just You tube V8 super cars crashes.

Best part is that most of the time the drives are uninjured or only slightly stuffed

Are the Holden cars the G8 that was imported to America in '08 and '09?

If so, wish they were still somehow bringing them into the states even with the demise of Pontiac.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's a scene safety issue. It makes it very difficult to treat the wounded man, if there's a fire burning 20' from him at 1000 degrees.

He had hand an facial burns, what exactly would they have been able to do to effect that, by ignooring the burning car?

This.

We are trained to get the driver out of a burning car first, but fight the fire if we can't get him out.

Since he was already out, the focus was on the firefighting.  The EMTs take care of the driver after he has gotten out or we have gotten him out.

And CWO, I don't know where you came up with your statement.  He was out of the car as the firefighers arrived and notice that 3 people responded to the driver immediately.

Except that he showed clear signs of being on fire - to the point where one of the rescue crew pushed him to the ground.

If I am on fire - I would need help from a guy with an fire extinguisher - not from a guy with a radio.

I am amazed at how studiously the firefighters ignored him - and paid no mind to the fact that he was hopping around like a guy on fire.

I guess if you exit the car on fire and the rescue guys don't have an extinguisher handy - you are toast..... while the guys with extinguishers make sure the car doesn't get too badly burned.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Anyone here follow the Australian V8 super cars, some very close racing and some spectacular crashes too, this was yesterday in Perth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PU3YFvgjPc&feature=related

Fuck yes I do. Love it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A) he wasn't on fire,  just hot from being surrounded by flame.

B) The all had dry chemical extinguishers which do not remove heat like C02 or water.  I suppose they could have made him look like he just left the worlds largest cocaine party for the hell of it though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:35:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn, what a fireball!
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:05:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Are the Holden cars the G8 that was imported to America in '08 and '09?

If so, wish they were still somehow bringing them into the states even with the demise of Pontiac.

Yes, the G8 was the same as the Holden Monaro we get here.

Here is the link to the toy factory in australia

http://www.hsv.com.au/e3/home/
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:47:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top