Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2011 4:27:18 PM EDT
Does anyone use a "Magic Jack" for their phone line?  I"m thinking about getting one.  Clark Howard likes them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#1]
A guy at work speaks highly of it but I don't have any 1st hand experience.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#2]
We did and it worked well, then I dumped it all together and just use my cell at home...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that when you take 3 Tylenol PMs and try to rub one out before you fall asleep?

If it is, then yes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard great things about it. Though I have heard it can be finicky at times.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one and when I used it I loved it. I let the service expire and have not gotten around to renewing. As soon as I leave country again I certainly will.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I use one in my office for a conference room line with a  Polycom. It works great!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does anyone use a "Magic Jack" for their phone line?  I"m thinking about getting one.  "Clark Howard likes them".

Clark Howard also says you can use the same disposable razor everyday for one year.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone use a "Magic Jack" for their phone line?  I"m thinking about getting one.  "Clark Howard likes them".

Clark Howard also says you can use the same disposable razor everyday for one year.

Fuck THAT.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is that when you take 3 Tylenol PMs and try to rub one out before you fall asleep?

If it is, then yes.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cant remember the last time I changed my razors head.  I don't shave too often though if it counts....
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#11]
The only experience I have with them is when my cousin calls, it usually sounds like he is in a coffee can.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it is, then yes.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one and it works great.  We rarely use it though cause we all have cell phones.  Dumped our house phone a year ago.  We are also big users of Skype.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been using MJ for 2 years working from home, and the sound quality is great.  I spend an average of 3 - 4 hours a day on it and very rarely have any problems.  Almost all of the problems I have had were due to internet connection or my PC, not the MJ service.

The only downside is that you can't connect to some types of conference services with it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Have one, and it works great. I use it for long-distance calls to make sure that I don't run up our cellphone minutes
since I've been talking to Dad a lot more to keep up since Mom passed.

Only thing I've noticed is that when you reboot your PC, make sure that it's booted up and running. (Just pick up the
phone and check for dial-tone. If not, you double-click the MJ icon and let it boot up. Then check for tone again.)

ETA: Only downside (and maybe I just haven't fiddled with it enough) is that I can't get the fax to work with it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Cool.  I'll buy one.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've used razors for more than a year before.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I love mine!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If it is, then yes.

Gonna have to give that one a try  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#20]
My in-laws have one, it is constantly going down.  Waste of money, there are way better cheap VOIP choices out there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I've seen Magic Jack commercials on TV, some questions please:

Can you receive a phone call with Magic Jack?  Does your PC have to remain booted up if you expect a phone call?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one that I use just for my fax machine. It works great.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I've seen Magic Jack commercials on TV, some questions please:

Can you receive a phone call with Magic Jack?  Does your PC have to remain booted up if you expect a phone call?

Thanks in advance.
Yes you can receive calls, and yes your PC has to be on and connected to the internet to receive calls.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Flesh Light for me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#25]
We've been using it now for three years....
only problems have been due to my flaky ISP.

if the computer is sort of busy, (i.e, in a scan) calls drop sometimes.

Computer must be on to use it.

The price is nice.

On renewal, you can get FIVE YEARS for $69.95

Downside is NO Customer Service phone, only live chat.

'03
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#26]
An old friend of mine has one and it's the only way we can afford to talk to each other long distance.  They randomly hang up without warning.  Other than that, it's like the call comes from across the street.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#27]
There's also NetTalk http://www.nettalk.com/ No computer needed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#30]
If you make a lot of overseas calls, you can set up a MagicJack in the US and then take it overseas, voila, instant US number with no tolls as long as you have net access.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Looks interesting.  Any experience with this?

ALCON,

I'd also like to know what their business model is.  For both NetTalk & MagicJack..  Are they making money off of ads, or selling your surfing habits to marketers? What's the catch?

Also, what are the risks associated with having something like this on your network.

Do any of you use these on a corporate network?  Or .mil networks?  Any issues with your enterprise or personal firewalls?

I'm kind of skeptical since I don't really understand it fully.

Again, looks neat.  Would like to get away from paying Verizon if this is a good solution, but I need more info, would have to do a lot more research first.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've heard great things about it. Though I have heard it can be finicky at times.

Yea they can be finicky. My dads would just randomly drop out. If he wasn't paying attention you might not be able to get him for a day or two until he realized it wasn't working and had to fuck with it to get it working again. Call quality seems to be fine though although cell phone coverage sucks at my house so I'm not sure I can really comment on phone quality.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Requires internet?  check

Requires a PC?  check

Requires the PC on all the time?  check

It'd make more sense to just sign up for google voice and use that with gmail.  That's totally free and superior.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#34]
It doesn't work under Linux.

Impeach Obama for the Good of the Youth.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been using Magic Jack for about three years now. I love it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#36]
We use it as a fax line for our home-based biz.  No issues.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

+1 on the Talknet Duo.  

I used a Magic Jack for 2 yrs.  The bad thing about them is that they have to be plugged into a computer, which means your computer has to be on to send or receive calls.  I switched to the Duo about 4 months ago.  It hooks up to the modem.  I like it alot.  Also, MJ you can't change the ring selector.  After 3 rings it automatically goes to VM.  Duo doesn't.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#38]
For a real "line" that doesn't require a PC, we use Phone Power.  Link  Go with the two year pre pay.  The 60 min/month international free is great for my wife to talk to her Mom in Mexico.  Voice mail .wav file to email is nice too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top