Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2011 2:24:22 PM EDT
I've cooked shrimp for years in a skillet or on the grill, but somehow never tried prawns.I will say that I do prefer them over shrimp as they almost have a lobesterish taste and texture to them. Cooked these in a pan with butter and minced garlic. No picture as we ate them too fast!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Get both.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#2]
One thing I find incredibly irritating is people who refer to largish shrimp as "prawns." They're two different fucking things.

FWIW I love prawns, I just kind of "like" shrimp.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Prawn a la Kobus is the only way.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I like grilled shrimp best.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

One thing I find incredibly irritating is people who refer to largish shrimp as "prawns." They're two different fucking things.

FWIW I love prawns, I just kind of "like" shrimp.

These were 5" long (no head) and about 1 1/2" thick.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Option 3:
Royal Reds
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]
IMO they're basically the same thing.

Prawns are just bigger.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm from the Gulf Coast...

Shrimp
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Its the same damn thing more or less.... Pass the Tiger Shrimp plz

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh, you think so, do ya, Doctor?

Prawns are similar in appearance to other small, swimming decapods, such as shrimp (Caridea) and boxer shrimp (Stenopodidea), but can be distinguished by the gill structure which is branching in prawns (hence the name, dendro = “tree”; branchia = “gill”), but is lamellar in shrimp.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prawns are similar in appearance to other small, swimming decapods, such as shrimp (Caridea) and boxer shrimp (Stenopodidea), but can be distinguished by the gill structure which is branching in prawns (hence the name, dendro = "tree”; branchia = "gill”), but is lamellar in shrimp.

I know about that, but that doesn't mean anything. Its basically the same damn thing.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Prawns are similar in appearance to other small, swimming decapods, such as shrimp (Caridea) and boxer shrimp (Stenopodidea), but can be distinguished by the gill structure which is branching in prawns (hence the name, dendro = "tree”; branchia = "gill”), but is lamellar in shrimp.

I know about that, but that doesn't mean anything. Its basically the same damn thing.  

In the same way that sex with a man or a woman is basically the same thing?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No, in the same way that its the same kind of creature even if there are differences. A cat can be a lion or a freaking tabby, but they are still cats.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Either one grilled in butter, garlic, and lime will make me happy
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

As in they taste the same and look the same.

Except for a difference in their scale things.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, in the same way that its the same kind of creature even if there are differences. A cat can be a lion or a freaking tabby, but they are still cats.  

When there are specific, distinct biological differences between two creatures who happen to look alike, it's a little sophmoric to say they are "basically the same thing."

Particularly since the ones we're discussing don't have the same flavor or texture, in the context of cooking. You know, the subject of the OP.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#23]
fookin prawns.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought pedantic dorks only argued about Star Wars, Anime and Pokemon.

Arfcfom again teaches me new things.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#25]
After eating only shrimp my entire life, prawns just don't taste as good.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Pedantic and correct are, often, the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

When there are specific, distinct biological differences between two creatures who happen to look alike, it's a little sophmoric to say they are "basically the same thing."

Particularly since the ones we're discussing don't have the same flavor or texture, in the context of cooking. You know, the subject of the OP.

It is not sophomoric. They both have the same origin and branched off from the exact same kind of creature. They just happened to change over the years because of various things like epigenetics and mutations which would cause them to lose legs or change their gill structure.

Oh no, flavor and texture are different. Yeah, that happens with every single kind of creature out there. If its diet and lifestyle is different it will taste and feel different in your mouth. If a cow is fed on corn and isn't allowed to exercise it is going to taste different than a cow which eats grass and herbs and runs around outside. Is a shrimp or prawn in the arctic going to taste the same as one from a coastal tropical region? Nope, they'll have different diets and somewhat different lifestyles which will affect their taste and texture.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is not sophomoric. They both have the same origin and branched off from the exact same kind of creature. They just happened to change over the years because of various things like epigenetics and mutations which would cause them to lose legs or change their gill structure.  

Oh no, flavor and texture are different. Yeah, that happens with every single kind of creature out there. If its diet and lifestyle is different it will taste and feel different in your mouth. If a cow is fed on corn and isn't allowed to exercise it is going to taste different than a cow which eats grass and herbs and runs around outside. Is a shrimp or prawn in the arctic going to taste the same as one from a coastal tropical region? Nope, they'll have different diets and somewhat different lifestyles which will affect their taste and texture.

So, you just gave a great diatribe about WHY they're two different things and then you're still standing on the indefesible ground that they aren't.

Only in ARFcom GD.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

+1

Pass the tiger prawns.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Shrimp lover from the gulf coast. While in WA once I ordered shrimp and they tried to pawn off prawns as shrimp. I nearly freaking puked. I couldn't believe WA didn't have rules against such shit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Shrimp lover from the gulf coast. While in WA once I ordered shrimp and they tried to pawn off prawns as shrimp. I nearly freaking puked. I couldn't believe WA didn't have rules against such shit.

Same thing happened to me.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You've been on since 2004 and just now figured out that no matter how wrong one may be, one can still argue anything on ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Best part about my job is that I get to kill pawns!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I like both but if I have to really pick I would take the Prawns
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#37]
If you have prawns available fresh and local, get 'em and grill 'em
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#38]
WTF are prawns, and how in the world can they be better then shrimp?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

They are basically huge shrimp, they do taste better. At least I think so.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I have always prefered shrimp to prawns.  Not surprising since I grew up eating shrimp.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Interesting....

Cooks Illustrated had a brief blurb in their new issue.

Prawns and Shrimp are different creatures....in a Shrimp, the thorax extends over the head and abdomen....in a prawn the head overlaps the thorax.   Slight difference in the gill structures.   Some regional differences (in the South, Prawn is a more common term for both).   In Europe/Asia, larger specimens are called Prawns (whether they are shrimp or prawns)

Taste wise....they couldn't find any difference with several varieties of each (variations in shrimp taste and in prawn taste overlapped significantly).

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I prefer shrimp, but - I can just run down the road and harvest tons of "mud bugs" for free that I enjoy just as well!!!

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are basically huge shrimp, they do taste better. At least I think so.

Meh....

Depends on the shirmp, and depends on the prawns. I've had fantastic versions of both, and
suck ass versions of both. Prawns aren't nearly as available, so I rarely get them. They are
nice for a change of pace, but as with all shellfish, the shit needs to be FRESH.

I'd still take a lobster every time over ANY damn prawn or shrimp.

-ZA
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I prefer shrimp, but - I can just run down the road and harvest tons of "mud bugs" for free that I enjoy just as well!!!

http://www.pbase.com/terry_56/image/102825536.jpg

NOM NOM NOM NOM..... steam pot is NOM NOM NOM NOM....

-ZA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top