Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2011 12:41:22 PM EDT
I was just reading the thread about people not knowing what a quality product looks like, and people were talking about appliances.  I am going to need to replace my washer and dryer in the next year or so, and I was just wondering what are the best brands to look at these days?  Walking around Sears, all of te new ones look very nice, but I would like to buy a pair tat I can count on lasting for a long long time.  

What does ARFCOM recommend?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#1]
My Whirlpool set has been going strong for 17 years. I know nothing about their quality these days.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#2]
My Dad is a "Lonely Maytag Repairman" , when I replaced my washer and dryer last year he strongly recommended  Whirlpool and to stick with a top loading washer. I've only had them a year so I can't attest to their longevity.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#3]
We bought a new Whirlpool top loading washer/dryer set in 2006. So far we've had to replace the igniter in the dryer and the water level switch in the washer. Other than that, they work well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My Dad is a "Lonely Maytag Repairman" , when I replaced my washer and dryer last year he strongly recommended  Whirlpool and to stick with a top loading washer. I've only had them a year so I can't attest to their longevity.

Whirlpool owns maytag now.
The only ones that I know of that aren't made in China now are LG and Electrolux.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've had my Whirlpool washer and dryer for 10 years now.  No problems with them thus far.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]
We just bought a Speed Queen washer.  Top loading, no digital display - just a plain old simple washing machine.  Made in the USA for the most part.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I knew Whirlpool bought up Maytag a while ago and he said after that happened Maytag's quality started slipping. His recommendation of Whirlpool was based on the the number of calls he gets and the average cost/ease of repairs.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Whirlpool Gold for me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#9]

My ol' Maytag of 19 years finally died this spring and I asked my appliance repair person which brand/model they recommended.

They said to get a simple Whirlpool with as few doodads as possible.

I told my wife that, so she went out and got a Whirlpool with as many friggin' doodads that you could strap on a washer.

Oh well.  Halfway there.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#10]
A certain repair person on here really loves Fisher and Paykel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Bosch
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a 2 year old whirlpool duet front load set that the washer sounds like a fuckin huey coming in for a landing in the basement.....internet research has said that the rear bearings are a common failure point....it keeps getting louder, someday soon I need to take it apart and order parts....btw it started 1 month out of warranty.....wish I'd have bought the samsung..
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've got a 2 year old whirlpool duet front load set that the washer sounds like a fuckin huey coming in for a landing in the basement.....internet research has said that the rear bearings are a common failure point....it keeps getting louder, someday soon I need to take it apart and order parts....btw it started 1 month out of warranty.....wish I'd have bought the samsung..

Gotta get the top loader.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Washer - Fisher and Paykel
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotta get the top loader.

That's is what I have, Whirlpool Cabrio with glass lid. It is only 2 years old. But is working great.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My Whirlpool set has been going strong for 17 years. I know nothing about their quality these days.

+1 We had GE before the whirlpool GE = junk
ETA we are a 7 person family, which is hard on those types of appliances the whirlpools are now 5 years old
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Electrolux.

The big plant in Webster City, IA is closing down and sending all 300+ jobs to Mexico  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#18]
dt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Just buy a basic Whirlpool top load washer and dryer.

Stay away from all the electronic touch pad and control crap, the simple dial controls are the longest lasting and simple as heck to replace if you ever need to.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's probably because Fisher & Paykel is rated as one of the most problematic brands.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I bought an F&P washer about a month ago and have been very impressed so far.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's probably because Fisher & Paykel is rated as one of the most problematic brands.

I have a F&P dryer I'd like to shoot.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He loves them as in recommends them as a good brand.....not loves them as in people call him all the time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He loves them as in recommends them as a good brand.....not loves them as in people call him all the time.

He's backed away from that lately. I believe he has said the quality has slipped as of late.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top